United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 5s
Overall Rank = 244/477
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

Sudafed. Sleep deprivation.

Packed everything the night before to get ready for 3:20 am wakeup call to get to venue in time for packet pickup, setup, warmup, etc. Owe DH big for the last 24 hours.
Event warmup:

A few miles on the bike, worth doing because my chain came off again when I switched to the big chain ring, so I decided not to use the big ring at all during the race. Must fix this!!

Ran maybe 10 minutes with stretching in the middle. Swam a few minutes before they called my wave.
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went amazingly well. My overall rank in the swim was actually the HIGHEST of the 3 events, a huge first for me. Usually my swim is the anchor dragging down my ship of tri. I started out to the side of the wave and avoided the clubbing I got last time. Swam well, stayed on course, caught up with a good portion of the wave in front of me. DH estimated I was 5th or 6th out of the water in my wave, which is unbelievable for me. My pace may not look like much, but today it was good enough!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

T1 seemed really long. I felt like I was struggling with everything and someone had moved my helmet.

It was just one of those days, but not that bad now that I see the time.
Bike
  • 49m 13s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.38 km/hr
Comments:

I drank a lot, maybe too much, but then I felt thirsty on the run. I ate a Gu just before the turn-around and that seemed to help. I've been practicing with gels and that worked out fine.

Passed a lot of 20 somethings but saw only 3 others in my AG. One blew by me and I never saw her again. One passed me and I passed her back and held on. One passed me THREE TIMES and I passed her back 3 times and held my lead to the finish of the race. Not my fastest bike leg ever, which is getting frustrating since I'm supposed to be all super fast on the new-to-me tri bike. Heaven forbid, could it be the engine??!

Maybe slow down the drinking in the last part of the bike to dry up my tummy for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Got my feet out of the shoes before transition and was jumping off my bike when someone got in front of me (I think he was afraid I was going to roll into transition and DQ) and I nearly piled. Recovered probably not too gracefully but didn't fall. Found my rack no problem (I tied a hanky on it), changed shoes, grabbed shirt w/ number, ate electrolyte tablet & water. Seeing the time I realize it was a superfast transition (for me).

nothing
Run
  • 26m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Really nice course. Started out like a cross country course, on trails through the park, then moved onto the road to come back in the park entrance to the finish. At the beginning I had water sloshing in my stomach and a pretty serious sideache. Eventually it went away and I felt stronger and finished well. Got passed a few times, but not by anyone in my AG. Used a running singlet with my number pinned to it this time, liked it better than the race belt (too flappy).

All things considered, I've run 5ks where I've come in with similar times (on no training, but still). A good result, especially in my sinus-challenged condition.

Have less in my stomach starting the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, drank water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick for the last week, losing a few workouts. Although the Sudafed might actually have helped me to some extent.

Event comments:

Really nice race. Well organized, great venue, and luckily great conditions today. I'll be back!

I'd forgotten that the swim here is 600yds instead of 500m (I think that's what Pigman is). As it turns out, comparatively speaking this was a PB. It was less than a minute slower than my best time last year at Pigman, with a 100yd longer swim. Sheesh. I should get sick and dope up before every race. ;)

Last updated: 2005-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 600 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 252/477
Performance: Good
Suit: hydroflex longjohn
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:13 | 20 kms | 24.38 km/hr
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 256/477
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on pretty good roads. Course was a little tight at the corners.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:40 | 05 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 302/477
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-18 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2005-06-18 2:52 PM
in reply to: #177777

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon
Thanks for the nice report. Great job. Congrats!
2005-06-18 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Great job out there! Especially considering how ill you've been. Hope the race cleared your sinuses!!!
2005-06-18 4:54 PM
in reply to: #177851

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
nuke_angel - 2005-06-18 3:40 PM

Great job out there! Especially considering how ill you've been. Hope the race cleared your sinuses!!!

Thanks! And thanks for all your encouragement! Bizarrely I feel way better now than I did before the race. I was spitting left and right all along the bike route, which might have had the advantage of discouraging people from passing.
2005-06-18 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

Carrie - you had a great race! Every leg was solid, and your transitions were fast! Sleep is so overrated, and don't worry -  Sudafed is not a performance-enhancing substance! It was great to meet you and Andy and Boo. And by the way, we didn't win any of the drawings - maybe next year. See you at Dutchman next week.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed