General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Older Racing Wheels vs. Newer Race wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-09 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Older Racing Wheels vs. Newer Race wheels
I recently posted a question about what I should do for race wheels for the upcoming season.  I have followed the advice I received here and I bought a rear disc cover (got the kit yesterday) and am now I'm looking for a used front wheel.  I'm most likely going to go with a Zipp.  However, my question is how concerned should I be with the age of the wheel?  Is a 2008 or 09 wheel much better than say a 2003 or older wheel?  My guess is they are a little lighter and have some small advantages, but are there significant advantages to the newer wheels?

Thanks in advance.

2010-03-09 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2716517

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Older Racing Wheels vs. Newer Race wheels
That's a good question, Collin. I owned an early 2000 ZIPP 404 a few years ago and then upgraded to the newer models. I never had a problem with it and as long as they aren't cracked or damaged and the hubs are in good shape, the biggest difference will likely be in the quality of the carbom fiber used and the wheels engineering, which does change over time (think dimples and such).
2010-03-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2716517

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Older Racing Wheels vs. Newer Race wheels
It kinda depends.  The technology has changed a bit over the past 10 years or so as more and more testing is conducted.  Is it all that quantifiable?  Hard to say.  Given that the wheels are just a small part of the equation is difficult to compare a 2000 model v. a 2009 model. 

However, one area that I would be cautious of is use.  Depending on the hub, bearings, etc an older wheel may have more wear to it.  In theory, a newer wheel will be in better condition.  With that being said, I think if you bought something in the last few years 06-09, you could still save money and get a great wheel.  I think the market is saturated with good deals right now.  I see 08 Zipps going for dirty cheap. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Older Racing Wheels vs. Newer Race wheels Rss Feed