www.tucsonracing.com
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 43s
Overall Rank = 85/128
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6AM, ate a bagel with PB&J and drank some gatorade. Considering this was the closest race to my house I ever had, I slacked off a bit and didn't leave early enough. I got there about 7:15 and was a little scatterbrained setting up transition. It didn't help that the racks were pretty full. I put my bike in place (where there were two wetsuits hanging) and was promptly told by some dude that I really 'crammed' everybody in. I apologized and said I didn't really think it was all that bad...and it wasn't. Sorry if he didn't have a place to hang his wetsuit before putting it on for the swim. Took one gel on the walk to the boat ramp.
Event warmup:

Not much. I was in the last of the three waves.
Swim
  • 11m 43s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've neglected both my swim and bike training lately, so I was a little bit anxious about this swim. Fortunately it was only 600m and the water temp was actually pretty decent for all the rain and overcast conditions we've been having. I got off to a decent start past the first two bouys but had to stop and sight for the third bouy for a few seconds to make sure I was on track. After I rounded the third and started heading for the 4th I looked up and realized I was swimming almost perpendicular to the path I should have been swimming. Fortunately I didn't do that for very long and got back on course. Came into the boat ramp and dorked around trying to decide when to stop swimming and when to start walking. Found myself climbing over a big underwater rock and then having to swim a little bit more to get into shallow enough water to walk. Trotted up the boat ramp and jogged to transition, passing several people that were walking. There was a lot of speculation of the condition of the water in Firebird raceway. It was very salty, but I didn't notice any 'jet boat' fuel odor or grease slicks on the surface. It was actually quite clear. It just took a bit to get used to the salt content. I haven't done any ocean OWS, but I never remember ocean water being that salty. However, I've never really plunged my face into ocean water and taken in a large mouthful. I wouldn't let the water in that lake prevent me from racing there again.
What would you do differently?:

Spend a little more time in the pool in the weeks leading up to the race. One day in the pool so far this year probably isn't enough. Although my swim times are improving from my first couple of tris last year. Just need to sight a bit better. Oh, and learn to swim so that my left shoulder isn't sore for a week afterward too.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

My wetsuit came off my right leg very fast, but got hung up on my left leg a bit due to the timing chip. Tossed the wetsuit on the rack and then decided to move it due to the guy that thought I had crammed him in on the rack before the start of the race. Since it was a bit cool, I took a few seconds to towel off. Sat down and put shoes and socks on, then glasses and helmet. Started jogging with my bike through transition and realized my race belt was still hanging from my seat. Stepped aside to put it on and then went out of transition. Not sure why I was so spacey on this transition. First race of the season perhaps. I'll be a little more focused on the next race.

Show up earlier to ensure a good setup in transition and leave the wetsuit on the ground. And don't forget the race belt...duh.
Bike
  • 39m 39s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike didn't get too much work for the past couple of months with busy weekends and the short days. It showed up in my bike performance. I didn't ever think that my bike would be the weak spot of a tri for me, but on this day, it was. Not too much to say other than time to start hitting the bike a lot more.

On the course, nothing. Maybe wear the Garmin so I'm at least aware of my current speed. Just need to do a whole lot more bike training in the months to come.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

This was much better than T1. Bike got a little bit hung up in the rack because of the aerodrink bottle. Shoes off no problem, maybe invest in non mtn bike shoes to save a few seconds, but not a huge issue.

Not much, one day learn to take shoes off on the bike and leave them on the pedals.
Run
  • 29m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were really dead as I started running through transition and it took a good half mile to loosen up. The course was altered from what was shown on the event website. They were running crotchrocket motorcycles next to the run course (seperated by a concrete wall and fencing) and you could taste the exhaust that was blowing over onto the run course. Not exactly pleasant. Got past that wondering when I'd ever get to the turnaround point. Next you have to run past the motocross track and suck in more exhaust and finally hit the turnaround point. Grabbed a quick drink of water while running and headed back. Felt like the longest 5k I'd ever run, but it seemed true when I mapped it out. Again, wish I had my Garmin with me on the run. Managed to pass a handful of people on the run, so at least that was good.

More bike/run bricks. I had been running quite a bit more earlier in the year in prep for my half mary at the end of Jan, so 4th out of 9 in my AG was much better than my bike AG rank. Again, the lack of decent training in the month of Feb was a problem.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed an orange and a bagel and that was it. Had to get home quickly to relieve the inlaws who were on babysitting duty. As I was packing up transition, the rain started to fall, so it was good that we were done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any serious bike/swim training for months and a slacker month for everything leading up to the race.

Event comments:

Photos posted at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054279&id=1125210883&l=b8582...

Last updated: 2010-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:43 | 600 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Average
Suit: XTERRA sleeveless
Course: Clockwise triangle from the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:39 | 12 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Three loops round the Wild Horse Business park. Several turns throughout the 4 mile course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:24 | 03.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back from transition clockwise around the lake to the southwest corner alongside the crotchrocket track and the motocross course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-09 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Subject: Firebird Sprint Triathlon

2010-03-10 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2717325

New user

Austin
Subject: RE: Firebird Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your first race of the season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firebird Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed