General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restaurants in San Antonio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-10 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Restaurants in San Antonio
Suggestions?

I'll be there in two weeks with the family (Mom, Dad, Wife, 5-yr old son).

I'd like to find a place that's isn't a chain, and ideally that's regional cooking (we like BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mexican, pretty much everything), and that is reasonably close to downtown S-A. We'll have a car but we'd like to stay close to San Antonio.

Would be happy to hear any suggestions.

I'd also be happy to hear any suggestions for fun things to do.

Thanks, Y'all (am I saying right? "Y'all"? That's like the same as "Youse", right?)

2010-03-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2719241

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Restaurants in San Antonio

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-03-10 2:32 PM Suggestions? I'll be there in two weeks with the family (Mom, Dad, Wife, 5-yr old son). I'd like to find a place that's isn't a chain, and ideally that's regional cooking (we like BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mexican, pretty much everything), and that is reasonably close to downtown S-A. We'll have a car but we'd like to stay close to San Antonio. Would be happy to hear any suggestions. I'd also be happy to hear any suggestions for fun things to do. Thanks, Y'all (am I saying right? "Y'all"? That's like the same as "Youse", right?)

If you ever feel like you have time, drive out to Boerne and eat at the Cypress Grille.  Very good food and it's not a chain.  It's just outside of town off of I-10.  Upscale American Grill with an incredible wine list.  I can give you more info if you'd like, but it's Zagat rate and has outstanding reviews. 

Disclaimer: My family owns and operates the restaurant, with my uncle as the manager & chef.  They'll be relocating downtown on the riverwalk sometime in 2010. 

2010-03-10 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)

I love Mi Tierra. Mexican food of course and a bakery. I had an aunt and uncle that would crave it and make a trip to San Antonio from near Houston just to eat there.  It has been a few years since I went myself, but it was just as good then as anytime in the past. I can't remember where exactly it is in relation to downtown. I do know that it is in the area they call El Mercado or The Market. Here is a link:  http://www.mitierracafe.com/location.html

2010-03-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2719271

User image

Veteran
AndrewMT - 2010-03-10 2:47 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-03-10 2:32 PM Suggestions? I'll be there in two weeks with the family (Mom, Dad, Wife, 5-yr old son). I'd like to find a place that's isn't a chain, and ideally that's regional cooking (we like BBQ, Tex-Mex, Mexican, pretty much everything), and that is reasonably close to downtown S-A. We'll have a car but we'd like to stay close to San Antonio. Would be happy to hear any suggestions. I'd also be happy to hear any suggestions for fun things to do. Thanks, Y'all (am I saying right? "Y'all"? That's like the same as "Youse", right?)

If you ever feel like you have time, drive out to Boerne and eat at the Cypress Grille.  Very good food and it's not a chain.  It's just outside of town off of I-10.  Upscale American Grill with an incredible wine list.  I can give you more info if you'd like, but it's Zagat rate and has outstanding reviews. 

Disclaimer: My family owns and operates the restaurant, with my uncle as the manager & chef.  They'll be relocating downtown on the riverwalk sometime in 2010. 

NEAT!  I LOVE Boerne!  In my experience The River Walk does not offer the best food..I would head out to one of these places.
2010-03-10 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Avoid the tourist traps along the Riverwalk - a few of my favorites when I lived there were:

Tomatillos (on Broadway) - Tex Mex
Blanco Cafe (multiple locations) - Tex Mex
La Fogata (Vance Jackson) - more like "interior" Mexican
Chris Madrid's (Blanco Road) - Laid back burgers & nachos
Josephine Street Cafe (Josephine St) - Steaks & Whiskey (Texas Roadhouse grub)

For fun things to do, tour the "Mission's trail", or jump in the car and drive about an hour up to Fredricksburg for small town shopping (antiques/crafts) or hike Enchanted Rock.   

Just a couple of suggestions - you can google them for more info. 
2010-03-11 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
A few thoughts:

King Williams District (next to downtown, area of historic homes):

Guenther House.  Great for outdoor breakfast and lunch.  In a historic home (which you can tour) once occupied by the founders of the flour mill on the same property.  Nice little store with lots of baking goods.  In a quiet area on the river so kids can wander without worry while waiting for a table.  Across from the Blue Star arts complex.

Blue Star Brewery.  Good for simple lunch and dinner.  Live music some nights.  Outdoor seating available.  Bikes are hanging upstairs since they used to have a small bike shop stuffed up there.  The bike shop is now next door.  You can rent bikes there to visit the missions.  Art galleries on the complex also if you're into that.

Mad Hatters.  Healthy sandwiches and good selection of iced teas.  Was once an old home.  Lots of women get together there for lunch.   Wifi and library area with a couple of stuffed chairs are nice for relaxing.

Rosarios (tex mex).  I think it's overrated but seems to be popular.

Very Near Downtown  

Pico de Gallo.  Owned by the same family as Mi Tierra but less touristy.

Texas Farm to Table.  Small restaurant at the recently renovated Pearl Brewery (now a small shopping area).  Healthy sandwiches and salads.  Across the street from a running shoe store.  

If you happen to be staying on the north side of town I can give a few suggestions too.

Enjoy!

Brian

Edited by famelec 2010-03-11 9:34 AM

2010-03-19 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great suggestions, everyone. I wish we were going to be there longer!

We're actually only going to be in S-A for three days. The other three, my mom and dad are taking us to a dude ranch so my son (5yrs old) can be a cowboy for a few days. Should be fun.
2010-03-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2720453

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

famelec - 2010-03-11 9:29 AM A few thoughts:

Guenther House.  Great for outdoor breakfast and lunch.  In a historic home (which you can tour) once occupied by the founders of the flour mill on the same property.  Nice little store with lots of baking goods.  In a quiet area on the river so kids can wander without worry while waiting for a table.  Across from the Blue Star arts complex.

Blue Star Brewery.  Good for simple lunch and dinner.  Live music some nights.  Outdoor seating available.  Bikes are hanging upstairs since they used to have a small bike shop stuffed up there.  The bike shop is now next door.  You can rent bikes there to visit the missions.  Art galleries on the complex also if you're into that.

Mad Hatters.  Healthy sandwiches and good selection of iced teas.  Was once an old home.  Lots of women get together there for lunch.   Wifi and library area with a couple of stuffed chairs are nice for relaxing.

Very Near Downtown  

Texas Farm to Table.  Small restaurant at the recently renovated Pearl Brewery (now a small shopping area).  Healthy sandwiches and salads.  Across the street from a running shoe store.  

If you happen to be staying on the north side of town I can give a few suggestions too.

Enjoy!

Brian

x2 on the Guenther house.  I love breakfast there!

2010-03-19 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2735489

User image

Veteran
AndrewMT - 2010-03-19 9:25 AM

famelec - 2010-03-11 9:29 AM A few thoughts:

Very Near Downtown  

Enjoy!

Brian

x2 on the Guenther house.  I love breakfast there!

This pretty much covers downtown SA thoroughly.  I work within walking distance of the Guenther house, and it really IS awesome.  Great setting for a morning or mid-day meal break.  Also, if you are coffee drinker, definitely go to their gift shop and buy a bag of beans.  Excellent coffee in my opinion.

Randy
2010-03-25 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Also in the King William area (need a car but only a couple mile or two from downtown depending on where you are staying)  is Rosario's Mexican Restaurant.   Love the Guenther House too.  If you eat there for lunch plan on 11:30.  They get busy.

Hope the dude ranch is in the Hill Country (Bandera, Kerrville or Fredericksberg) the Blue Bonnets and wild flowers are beautiful right now.

Enjoy the trip!

2010-04-06 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)

So, how'd the trip go? I hope everyone had a great time here in the Lone Star State.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Restaurants in San Antonio Rss Feed