General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Battle of Waterloo?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-10 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
Subject: Battle of Waterloo??
Was wondering if anyone had done this race last year and if so what you thought of it. I'm looking to add a race mid/late summer and this looked promising. Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kat

2010-03-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2719252

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Battle of Waterloo??
I did this race last year, and I'm signed up again for this year!  I thought it was a blast!  It was a pretty small field last year (I think only around 80 racers?).  The race organizers seemed to have everything worked out okay, or at least, I didn't notice any hiccups.

Run sections are trails and dirt roads.  Based on your 2010 race list, it looks like you are a runner, so you should not have any problems with the running.  I was probably at 'not quite ready to do a 1/2 marathon' run fitness level, and I found it do-able.  Breaking the 13 miles into shorter segments definitely made it a bit easier.

There are only two biking segments - the roads were in pretty good shape, and nice for riding. Not too hilly.

The swim segments were your basic point-to-point across a lake.  The second swim was a bit weedy, but that just added to the adventure feel of the race, I thought!  I found I had to minimize kicking in order to keep my legs from cramping by the last swim, but it was no big deal.  As a decent swimmer and a not-so-good runner, it was nice to be able to pass people on the swims!  (Of course, they all passed me again after we got out of the water.)

Logistics: I carried my running shoes in one of those drawstring backpack bags (sorry, I'm sure there is a name for them, but they give them out at races a lot, so maybe you know what I'm talking about?) on the bike.  While swimming, I carried one shoe in the back of each shorts leg.  (I did not try to keep them dry.)  I wore socks, and I didn't have any problems with blisters, thankfully!  I also had a second pair of running shoes.  After the first leg, I left the first pair of running shoes in T1, and had a second pair already in my bag.  So when I got back to that transition, I just left my wet running shoes in the bag and put on the dry shoes that were there in transition waiting for me.

It's definitely a bit more of an adventure than your traditional triathlon, but you're doing Dances With Dirt, so you should have no problem with that!  Go for it!
2010-03-10 10:42 PM

I am in this year, I missed last years.  Maybe later as the summer goes, we could have a run down there.  It's a good 75 minute drive for me, but I would love to run the trails.  I did some of them by myself last year, but it was a short sessiono as my wife and daughter were with me.

Carol, the weedy swim, is that the one that comes out in the old camp area?  The water looked like a muck pond all the way across.  On the last swim, was the entrance to the water between the trees, next to the old bench, with the paddle boat rotting upside down? 

Joe
2010-03-11 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
I think I will do it!! Sounds like a lot of fun...water foliage aside
2010-03-12 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2720048

User image

Regular
Joe, yes the weedy swim is the one that comes out in the old camp area.  They cut away a bunch of the lily pads and such before the race, but you could still virtually pull yourself along with the weeds.  The water was a bit murky, but not too bad really. 

And I think your description fits the start of the last swim, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.
2010-03-26 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2722292

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
As it passes about 2 miles away from my house I think I'm going to do this one.  If only to practice transitions!

2010-03-28 9:44 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I really wanted to do this last year, but was scared off by the cost and my not-quite-ready fitness level. This year though, I'm employed and in much better shape, so it's going to be the focus of my training. I love that it favors swimming over biking!

Edited by jeffsab 2010-03-28 9:45 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Battle of Waterloo?? Rss Feed