General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Diego bike routes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-11 12:04 PM

User image

Subject: San Diego bike routes?
Hi all!

I'll be in San Diego this weekend and am looking for a good 4-5 hour training ride route.  I'll be staying in the Sunset Cliffs area (near Sea World), so if you know of any routes that start there or near there, I'd appreciate it!

Ideally, I'm looking for a good route to get on the tri bike and go for several hours.  I'm training for IM St. George, so hills are welcome (within reason!  lol).

Any insights are most welcome!

2010-03-11 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2720912

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: San Diego bike routes?
We're doing a 60/10 brick session from Mission Bay, heading north (I'll be on my TT bike to prep for Oceanside).  It should only be about a 3-hour ride, but we're going to be doing some hills (Mt. Soledad and Torrey Pines).

There are a lot of good tri-club affiliated ride options (at least 5), including a IMSG group doing a double Great Western loop (80-100 mi. with HILLS).  I can put you in touch with that group as well - although it's not the fastest paced ride and if you're off the front, you may not know where to go.

The one from Mission Bay will probably be the most convenient - and fastest paced (I could be talked into going longer) and if you're in town for just a while, you really don't want to miss a coastal ride.  It's 30 miles up to Carlsbad, another 5 to Oceanside Harbor (transition area for the HIM) and then another 10 up through the base (part of the HIM course).  You can ride 90+ miles with rollers pretty easily with some great scenic vistas.  It today's weather holds, it could be a great ride!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Diego bike routes? Rss Feed