General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'ing to lose 15 pounds--need diet advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-12 7:20 PM

User image

Subject: Tri'ing to lose 15 pounds--need diet advice!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, 19 years old, and am looking for some advice. I am doing the couch to 5k 16 week program, and have unfortunately already took my first week long break, as I've made it to week 3. Previously to doing the couch to 5k program, I have been exercising, and have just felt that I needed to get more organized and challenged with my working out, and this program has definitely done that for me.Smile
I have a thread in the "nutritional cafe" section, discussing my weaknesses with splurging. I have been told that I appear to be "undereating". Which I agree, but I dont want to overeat either. My goal is to lose 15 pounds within the next couple of months, and I believe that I might have taken a break from working out, because I haven't seen much results(my main area that I want to see results in is my "love handles"). As I said in my other thread, that there are ALWAYS 1-3 days out of the week, where I "splurge". I REALLY want to lose those love handles, and drop 15 pounds. I want to eat right and reduce my splurging, so that I can start seeing those results! Please give me some advice, so that I can reach my goal. Smile
Thank you for reading,

~Lauren

2010-03-12 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2723954

User image

Veteran
Burlington
Subject: RE: Tri'ing to lose 15 pounds--need diet advice!!
Have you seen this article?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=537

It's a great start.  If you drink soda or sugary drinks, cutting that out alone will drop those 15 lbs in no time. 
2010-03-15 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
If you really want to lose those pounds then YOU have to decide what's most important to YOU. I would suspect that the reason you haven't seen much progress is the 3 days each week of splurging. This is a self defeating cycle. Don't sabotage yourself!

I've been where you are at. I made a decision that losing the weight was more important to me than satisfying a momentary urge to stuff myself. I still battle with maintaining a healthy attitude towards food. But if you look at food as not a reward for good deeds or a comfort for bad times you will be one step ahead.
2010-03-18 12:07 PM

User image

Phoenix
start using the training log to record your workouts as well as your eating habits. once you start seeing things written down you'll be more conscious of them. i can't stand it now if my little training log calendar doesn't have color on every day! it took me a while to get in to the routine as well. the easiest way to look at it is this: you should expect for it to take the same time to lose the weight as it took to gain it. start buying more fruits and veggies and when you splurge eat those, at least you'll be eating better foods. start making fruit smoothies as well, i always have a protein shake every morning with fresh fruit in it - wakes up the metabolism and muscles and feeds me after i've been asleep all night. as cindi said above me, ultimately it's still going to come down to you and your discipline.. no one can lose 'em for you! good luck

Edited by gmanontheradio 2010-03-18 12:08 PM
2010-03-18 8:36 PM

User image

I would suggest making gradual changes to your workout routine and eating habbits.  Don't make changes that you know you won't be able to stick with for a long period of time.  The ultimate goal is to make changes that you can stick with for life...because you want to lose those love handles permanently right...not just for 6 months.

Start with the simple things first.  Try cutting out sugary drinks and replace with lots of water.  Diet soda may be an alternative (remember...small changes).  When you feel the need to splurge, at least make the best possible choice.  Instead of splurging on pizza, splurge on a turkey sandwich, or something a little more healthy.  Eventually you want to control those splurges to a minimum...but again...small changes for now.

As far as your workouts...same idea.  Don't try to get too aggressive with your workouts that they become something you dread.  You should look forward to your workouts and try to keep them fun.  If not, you probably have no chance of sticking to it for any extended period of time.

Yes, you can get much faster results if you really tighten up your diet and you bust your butt in the gym...but if it's not something you enjoy, or hate going through, you will end up right back where you are in 3 months or less. 

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'ing to lose 15 pounds--need diet advice!! Rss Feed