BMO Bank of Montreal
6C / 43F
Precipitation
Total Time = 21m 45s
Overall Rank = 138/696
Age Group = 40-99
Age Group Rank = 40/114
Pre-race routine:

Woke up had a shower and grabbed my gear and headed out in my truck. Nothing to eat except a chocolat bar. Took a couple Ibuprofen for back pain and the toe I stubbed the day before.
Event warmup:

Rainy and cold morning so I basically put on my bid and headed for the Cricket Pavilion to check out the crazy costumes. Tried to keep active and think positive thoughts for a sub 21 minute run. Back felt a bit tight as it usually does in the mornings.
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 21s  min/km
Comments:

Tried to start at 4 min/km but noticed Garmin said I was actually faster. Narrow course at the start so hard to pace early with all the traffic in front. Felt strong after the first km and form was pretty good. Felt like I kept a good pace through to the 2.5-3 Km mark when I slowed down at some minor rises in the course. Definitely need to work on hill training. Noticed that I was breathing to hard to have any type of kick at the end like I had planned so trudged through the remainder of the course pacing some runners ahead of me. Hard to determine how far the finish line was so didn't really pick it up in the last kilometer. Came up to finish and was surprised to see that I wouldn't be coming in under 21 minutes. Felt like I was running fast enough to break that barrier but I suppose that will have to wait for another day.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing myself better, especially at the start. Learning from each race so I should be seeing improvement in later races.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a few hundred meters after finish line to bring my heart rate down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and poor cardio. Improving both those things will bring my times down.

Event comments:

This is a well organized and fun race that I might run again next year.

Last updated: 2010-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:45 | 05 kms | 04m 21s  min/km
Age Group: 40/114
Overall: 138/696
Performance: Good
Nice run through Stanley Park in a single loop. HRM didn't register any data for the first km but I was happy with the numbers. Tried to pace myself better as I blew up early in the 5 K race the previous weekend in Sidney. Tried to start at a 4 min/km pace but noticed that I actually went out faster than that.
Course: Mostly flat looping and narrow course along the Stanley Park Seawall with some sections along trails. Lots of water on the course as it had rained all the previous night. Many racers weaving in and out dodging water puddles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes