Overcast
Total Time = 19m 17s
Overall Rank = 3/1100
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, showered and out the door.
Event warmup:

I got checked in, and then dropped my shirt off at the car. I had about 30 minutes before I needed to warm up so I just checked out the finish line/tent setups, etc. for a while.

When time came I knocked out an easy two mile warm up. Found Stephanie so I gave her my pull over and car key.
Run
  • 19m 17s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

We all lined up and received some more last minute instructions from the RD. About that time a "runners set, GO", and we are off. My goal for this race was to try and even split my miles. I normally start off fast for the first mile, then drop it in cruise for the second, and then back to fast the last.

Out the gate there was a group of smart azzes, that wanted to lead the race for the first 100 yards. Usually, I get a good laugh out of it, because they are funny and when they die out they peel out of the way to the left. However, this time the group just stopped right in the way. So I had to navigating around them which slowed me up a tad. After moving past them I had one guy in front of me. I thought about using him to pace thinking he would be the leader, but his pace was a tad slower than mine so I went ahead and passed. I lead the race until just past mile one, and the guy who went on to win passed. I kept him quasi-reeled in, but my legs just did not want to move that fast for some reason. A pair of guys came by around mile two, and I kept them within distance. With about half of a mile left in the race my legs decided to wake up, and I hammered away and caught one of the guys for 3rd OA, but ran out of space to catch the other guy.
What would you do differently?:

I should have warmed up more, and added more speed into my warm up. My legs were not up to moving full speed until the final mile of the 5K.
Post race
Warm down:

Short CD jog around, and then I started stretching (about 30 minutes). I went to the car and put on pants/pullover and got a couple poweraids and a bannana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to warm up more. Other than that, my legs just didn't want to move for some reason.

Event comments:

I did this race last year (10K), but they changed the course this year. They did this to start/finish at the New Balance store, but in the process of doing so they made the course long (3.18), and IMO it is a slower course.

Still, I was able to set a new PR for a 5K.
3.18 - 19:17
3.10 - 18:48
3rd OA
1st AG Podium (30-35)

Last updated: 2010-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:17 | 03.18 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/1100
Performance: Average
Course: This race runs both a 5K & 10K at the same time. 5K is a single loop, and 10K is a double loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-15 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Jog for a Cause

2010-03-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2726311

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Jog for a Cause
Way to go, man! Nice effort and top 3 finish and an AG podium! 

You rocked it!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jog for a Cause Rss Feed