Dirty Spokes Productions
44F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 2s
Overall Rank = 87/155
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke a little earlier that normal due to packet pickup being on race day. Since this was the 1st ever race here, I had no idea of the race setup or the organization matter.

Stuck with the usual routine. 2pieces toast, 1/2cup coffee, sipped GU brew up to approx. 30mins till race start.

Arrived at the venue at 7. Packet pickup from 7-8, race start at 8:30.
Event warmup:

Starting chute was approx .25mi along asphalt before going into the woods. Used this distance for warming up.

A couple slow jogs followed by some strides to stay loose. Stretched pretty good.

Actually completed a decent warmup of approx 1-1.25mi (total) for this at easy pace.
Run
  • 1h 06m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run.

Started in asphalt parking lot and used approx. .25mi section as a buffer to thin the crowd before getting on the trail. Set the pace on the asphalt to gain some ground thinking I'd lose it on the trail.

Felt great. Hit the trail holding a 9:30m/m and figured I needed to slow it down to 10m/m since it's trail. Started working on slowing it on the trails, and picking it up on the downhills and flats.

Only passed 3 times on the trail, but passed 9. Lost the ground on the asphalt.

Turned my ankle (left) at the 3mi mark, which made some of the spots a litte slow going, but not terrible.

3 hills in the last mile. Ran the first, putted the second, walk/ran the 3rd.
What would you do differently?:

Practice a little more on the trails.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran through the chute, had my chip removed, then walked to the food/beverage tables. Refueled with bananas, oranges, and gatorade. Then wondered over to the LIVE race results.

Every 5mins, the results were adjusted for those coming in. Pretty cool to see them that quickly!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore ankle after mile 3, and just more overall practice on trail systems

Event comments:

Small local race that's definitely expanding into the region. Great overall race and just a fun time in general.

Probably showed up a little too early for the packet pickup, but I had no idea how many would show for this and didn't want to be waiting around to pickup before the race started...

Last updated: 2010-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:02 | 06.2 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 87/155
Performance: Good
Course: Loop course through the Oak Mtn State Park trails. Including single/double track, hills, rocks, and technical climbs. Some gravel road, some fire road, mostly trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes