General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 29s
Overall Rank = 141/601
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/66
Pre-race routine:

Waffle with PB and water. Pretty boring routine, I know.
Event warmup:

Stretching and 500m swim
Swim
  • 05m 4s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off at a moderate pace and passed a few people. By the time I was at the next to last wall, we were going four wide through the lane. Eventually fought my way through and made it to the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

I need to just try and sprint the pool swims. I always start off at a moderate pace and build throughout the distance. This is my best area of the three disciplines so I should try and take advantage of it a little more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

When I got to the rack I had made up my mind that it was too cold to go with the wet tri-top so I put on a long sleeve jersey. I lost a little time drying off and putting that on but I'm really glad I did that.

Made it through transition pretty quick and had a good bike mount. I started pedaling with my feet on top of my shoes but had some issues when I actually tried to put my feet in. Not sure if it was the fact that they were frozen solid or I just was having one of those days. I eventually got them in only to realize that I probably should have put the toe covers on. Apparently the ventilation on my tri shoes works just fine.

I'm not going to start wearing socks on the bike so I need to definitely go with toe covers on the tri shoes when it is cold out.
Bike
  • 41m 7s
  • 12.62 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This was only the third time I have been on my bike since Redman in September and I really felt it. My pace was OK but I have done better. I just need to work more rides into my workouts.

Increase my bike fitness and use foot warmers.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

No issues.

Nada.
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably wasn't the best idea to make this my first brick workout of 2010 but oh well.

Started out moderate for the first 1/2 mile or so to get my legs back and then set in to a decent pace (for me). Shortly after the turn around point David B blew past me going the other way and about 4 minutes later he passed me on his way to the finish line. I decided I would try and match his cadence as he passed me but that lasted all of 2 or 3 steps. He's just too quick for me.

Did my best to pick up the pace the last 3/4 mile or so and finish hard.

Keep working on my run training. This was actually my fastest 5k to date in a triathlon so I really can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with family, talked to David B. and ate a few pancakes. Went in the pool area to cheer on the last few swimmers coming out and listen to the musical stylings of Lungs McGregor, the bagpipe player. He played that thing non-stop from the first swimmer until the last one got out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to put in more time on the bike. I'm pretty happy overall though as I knocked 8 minutes off the last time I did on this course 2 years ago and my bike and run splits are pretty close to where they were last summer despite the time I took off. Hopefully with the training plan I have laid out I will be able to come back in October for the Monster Tri and knock some more time off.

Event comments:

It had been 2 years since I did this race and I thought DA put on a good show. The announcer at the finish was pretty funny and they had plenty of volunteers.

Last updated: 2010-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:04 | 328 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/66
Overall: 49/601
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in a 50m pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:07 | 12.62 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/66
Overall: 213/601
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56.4
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/66
Overall: 208/601
Course: Out and back in a city park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-15 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Subject: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon

2010-03-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2727825

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon

Great race, Dennis!  Great to see you out there and have someone to talk with while getting set up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed