General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
Excel EP
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 35s
Overall Rank = 356/1061
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/111
Pre-race routine:

Slept at brothers place about 3 miles from site on Brickell. Nice to be that close on a night you lose an hour of sleep! Got to race about 5:00am and nice parking spot awaited. Then did the get ready and wait routine for 2 hours.
Event warmup:

Stood there by the water wanting to go in and warm-up, but it was cold and I was already shivering. Eventually with about 15 minutes till my wave went off I got in and did about 200 yards to warm up and get the wet suit wet after 4 months in the closet. The warmest place was standing behind generator keeping the flood lights on. May have breathed in toxic air, but oh was it warm.
Swim
  • 27m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have been swimming quite a bit this winter so felt confident going in. Had decent first few hundred yards and was probably in top 1/3 of group. Wanted to just settle in and then pick it up. After rounding 1st buoy, I had a sharp cramp on my right side near my back. Never happened before race or practice. Couldn't extend right arm fully and well, that tends to hurt your form:) It was pretty bad and told myself just keep going a few more minutes and see if it works itself out, if not, might have to call it the day. Eventually it did pass, but I lost a lot of time. I picked it up the last 500 yards and found nice cadence into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

This was really disapointing. I am pretty well balanced on the S/B/R, meaning not great at any but also not bad either. However swimming has usually been my top even of late. Should have really been around 24-25:00 tops. That said, I did feel great coming out of water not having pushed it at all.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Not bad time considering all the "little" details I could have improved on looking back. I was really nervous about wet suit coming off as I have never practiced and all other races had wet suit strippers waiting. Luckily it really came right off with help of half a stick of body glide:)

Had tough time getting my feet into shoes while on the bike and should have waited until up to speed vs heading out of Transition area. Otherwise, not bad T1.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I have been riding quite a bit and felt good coming in. The bridge got to my head though as I never train hills. I wanted to have a good run and in my mind held back a bit throughout the course. Thought it was odd I wasn't being passed by many in my ag, but looking at my swim time, the good people were already ahead of me.

*** Penalty aquired!!!"""
I have never had a penalty in any race and this is my first. I left early after race so can only assume it was on the bike since I have no details yet. I never draft and passed carefully. This is going to bother me for a while cause I would have otherwise been ranked 25th in ag which was my goal.

Need to find out what penalty was for, that blows. For the bike, I simply need to push it. I had plenty in the tank and should have used it. Definately could have shaved 3-4 minutes and been fine.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Suprised time was pretty decent. I ran down the right rack, but could not find my spot. What seemed like 30 seconds looking dumbfounded actually was about 10 seconds, but it was aweful feeling, like you have nightmares about. Finally found my spot it was about 10 feet from where I was standing. Quick work after that and off I went.

Well, wake up and find your spot Joe.
Run
  • 47m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My last race was a HIM in November and I completely bonked after a killer bike time. This was staying with me and probably why my bike was slow this race. Anyway, the consequence was feeling pretty good on the run! Fresh legs are a rare feeling, but they felt good. I have also been doing a lot of bricks this winter which helped. By no means am I fast, but I was shooting for 49-50:00 as a goal on the run. Each mile got better and on the second loop I pushed it and likely had negative splits. Found one person in my age group and we leaped frogged for a while then he backed off so I kept going. Really wanted to at least hit 2:30:00 but that will be next year. Weather was so nice I skipped most of the water stations and kept going. Happy with run time and fact I felt really good and held form. That tun course was so packed you had to keep your elbows in or they would be knocked off by the oncoming traffic!

Not much here... This was a great run for me and no question a result of slower swim and bike earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Just got my medal and grabbed a water bottle. Ate a little Pollo Tropical they had catered and went to Transition to pack up. I knew there was no top ranking for me so didn't bother to look at posted times. Wish I would have stayed and seen what the penalty was all about. Cost me 5 spots in my AG and although not really big deal, it really bothers me not knowing what I did and being a real clean rider.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What is really odd is that swim is my better sport, then Bike and then the run. In this race I did better overall on he run, then bike, then swim. Very strange. I did work on run a bit this winter, but not enough to say it is a strengh. I think I just took it too easy early on.

Event comments:

Lots of fun and will be back next year. Nice early season race to keep you motivated over the winter. I have a lot to improve on, but can't complain too much at this point. There were a lot of good athletes at this event and impressive AG field to say the least.

Last updated: 2009-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/111
Overall: 440/1061
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR
Course: Triangle set up with buoys on the right whole time.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:21 | 24.85 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Overall: 377/1061
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops, over bridge 4x
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 341/1061
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course on tight path with two way traffic. Nice shade though...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-15 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon

2010-03-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2727866

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon
Great RR!  and great job!
2010-03-16 9:02 AM

User image

Master
syracuse
nice race!....we had a great day for sure!!
2010-03-18 8:45 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Wuaoooo....

Great Race even all the circunstances....and...Sorry for the penalty...!!!

Congrats...WTG...!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » M.I.T. - Miami International Triathlon Rss Feed