Xterra
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 5s
Overall Rank = 50/114
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 to eat and drink some coffee. It was beautiful outside. We were camping at the campground so I ate some instant oatmeal and brewed coffee in the camping coffee pot, orange and that was it. Rode down to the lake to check it out. Saw the sun come over the mountains and chatted with another fellow. Went back to camp to get my stuff and set up transition right by the bike exit. wierd setting up a mtn bike tri because I needed more stuff like a camel back gloves, just different.

Event warmup:

Road around a little to check out the run course, saw about 1/2 mile of it. Ate a power gel 45 minutes before and listened to race announcements while I put on my wetsuit. I wanted to check out the water temp. THe race director said he had readings of 60-65. Bullshit, it was below 57 degrees. I then got out and put on teh polar cap. Everyone was saying it was freaking cold. It's in the mountains for christ sake.
Swim
  • 24m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was very cold. I am glad that I got in and got used to it. The first 350 yards to the first bouy was rough. I was kicked and knocked and run into more than other races. People were not very good swimmers I guess. After the first lap I settled into a good pace and found some feet. It seemed harder to breathe in this race, I am guessing it was altitude and cold water. But a decent swim for me overall.
What would you do differently?:

nada
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I got out of the water and ran to transition, I started to pull on my wetsuit cord and it is stuck. I pull it up again and down, nothing, one more time and it is still stuck. I run to the side of transition and ask a guy to help me and he says, yep it is stuck, no shit. I thank him and I am on my way. Mountain bike T1 is much different than a road Transition. I put on socks, shoes, helmet, camel bak, sunglasses and I am off. It was hard getting my wetsuit over my heals this time. I remember saying to myself, shit! hurry the hell up!.. I am finally off, on my way I start to clip the straps on my camel bak, that took time off. Then I remember I forgot my gloves, oh well too late now, I hope i don't fall. Very slow T1 for me, I am usually around 45 seconds.

Go faster!
Bike
  • 2h 02m 4s
  • 21 miles
  • 10.32 mile/hr
Comments:

The T1 tranistion messed me up. I then had a flat on the big down hill due to overheating the rim from braking so much. I need to get disk brakes, I was told that I should get these, I did not buy the bike so I will learn from this. It took me 10 minutes to change the flat and stop twice to put in enough air.The aid staions sucked on the bike course, I had to stop once so they could fill up one of my water bottles on a hand pump water jug. It was very hot out already. The hill on the way out was killer. I passed 20 people, most of them passed me during the flat. I had 3 girls pass me, that pissed me off. I could not go any harder my legs were toast at this point, so I said I would catch them on the run. I caught one of them! 2 of the girls were really fast!

Do more mountain biking. I was 77/114, were I am in the top 5 in a road Tri! Oh well it was fun!
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

T2 was fine, I had a little trouble getting the bike to stay on the rack. I remember my wife yelling don't worry about it go, your doing great. So I left.

Nothing
Run
  • 34m 49s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was awesome! I was first in my age group and 14 overall. I wish I had a better bike ride! I paseed a ton of people and was passed by no one. I had lots of people cheering me on which was nice. It is wierd when you don see anyone for a long time then you just come up on them because you can't see very far ahead on the trails.

I think I could have pushed it alittle harder. My HR average was low for me. I think I conserved a bit tooo long. When I hit the dirt road I poured it on. I thought there might be more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really. Walked around and then watched my daughter do the kids triathlon. I did ride along side her on the bike portion and watched her finish. She was 2nd place! Woowooo! She actually got first place medal at the race but the website said differently. She was not first in the race, but she had a blast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My poor MTN biking skills and a flat.

Event comments:

Graet race, poor aid stations and after race festivities. I have heard that Xterra races are a huge party afterwards. Not! No beer! The food was marginal and there was no cold water at all! It was a beautiful race venue, Wellington lake is gorgeous, and camping was awesome.
Thanks for reading this!

Last updated: 2005-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 53/114
Performance: Good
Average Heart Rate was 144 Max Hr was 155
Suit: QR Full Suit
Course: 2 loop counter clock wise swim with a short 10 yard run on the beach and back into the water for lap 2.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:02:04 | 21 miles | 10.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 77/114
Performance: Bad
Average Heart rate was 145 Max Heart rate was 147
Wind: None
Course: It started out flat out the campground road. Then a screaming downhill on jeep raods for 3 miles! It was very fast! Then it flattened out on jeep roads and then onto the single track bike trails. Lots of up and downs. One rock dismount area. 1 log dismount area. Lots of sand, I heard a lot of people bit it in the sand. One big slick rock desent. Then we hit the burn section of the buffalo creek fires from a couple years ago, it was very wierd seeing all the dead burned out trees, you could see everyone ahead of you on the switchbacks. Then down the other side and then back up the killer 3 miles we came down at first. This was slow and brutal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:49 | 05 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 14/114
Performance: Good
Average Heart Rate 157 Max Heart rate was 165
Course: The course left the campground and immediately went uphill for a while. Then we hit some log stairs and then onto so switch backs that went up the hill and down the hill for about 25 yards at a time. Then it had some big up and down hills, some log crossings, through a marsh, over some log bridges then some more up and downs, then onto the raod back to the camground and finsh, we went by the lake on some very thin sections that made you think about no falling in. It was very cool. There was no aid station for over a mile off the bike and none in transition. I was hot and thirsty. I remember 2 aid stations on the runand they were dixie cup size and hot! Yuck!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 9:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Buffalo Creek Xterra

2005-06-19 9:32 PM
in reply to: #178349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Buffalo Creek Xterra

Great race Mark!  Congrats on the hardware. 

How cool was it to watch your daughter race after you finished! 

2005-06-19 9:46 PM
in reply to: #178351

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Thanks but I did not get hardware but my daughter did!
2005-06-19 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Great race Mark! Bummer about the flat. What a smokin' run
2005-06-19 10:55 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice job on the Xterra Mark!  You did great! 
2005-06-20 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race, Mark. Bummer about the flat and the freezing cold water. That was a great swim time despite the cold, and you're always smoking fast on the run.

2005-06-20 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Sounds like a pretty tough race course - great job!!!  How fun that you got to watch your daughter race after - that's cool

I'm totally impressed that you can trail-run at that pace!!

2005-06-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: #178729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Mark could trail run faster with ME ON HIS BACK than I could run on my own.
2005-06-20 11:55 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
You crack me up Stacie!  You don't give yourself enough credit.  Maybe you should carry me and you will get faster!
2005-06-20 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Very cool to read about your race.  I am so jonzen to do an X

Too bad about your flat - but I guss that stuff happens.  Do you carry a pump or CO2?  You said you had to stop to add more air.  Maybe you should ask for CO2 for your birthday!

Way to stay after it!  BTW - what's wrong with girls beating you?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Creek Xterra Rss Feed