General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Eldersburg, MD
United States
South Carroll Swim Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 25s
Overall Rank = 137/239
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 a.m. to get to the club by 5:30 a.m. to pick up race chip. This is because DH was in a BBQ competition (he took reserve champion - better than I did!) and had to leave the house by 6:30 a.m. to pull the meat off the smoker. Came back home, got the kids up, dropped them at my parents and got to the swim club with my moral support and cheering section (my oldest son). Reminding myself to never again do a race on a weekend that Barry is committed to a BBQ. Got to the club about 8:00 for a 9:03 start. This pre-race routine sucked. I was not in my zone at all. Too many details non-race related to take care of (read: kids). I was antsy and nervous and could not concentrate.
Event warmup:

Forgot helmet, walked back to the car (looooooooong walk). Forgot keys, fortuitously found best buddy Ian (not racing today, came for moral support - I love you, man!) who graciously offered to walk the (did I mention long) distance back to the car to get the bike lock keys. Thank god for Ian (did I mention I love you, man?). Skipped the pool warmup after noticing people coming out of the warm up pool blue lipped and goosebumped. Paced around nervously. Tried goggles on about a hundred times.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first tri ever, so I don't have anything to compare the swim to. I'm used to swimming in my half of my lane at the Merritt pool. I couldn't do my flip turns because there was tons of congestion at the ends of the lanes. My breathing was heavy and my heart rate got very high very fast, something that almost never happens when I'm training. Still, I had a decent time considering the swim is not my strongest point. I passed three and was passed by three. Better than expected overall.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down for the first two laps and control my breathing better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Great T1. Not sure of the time b/c we didn't have splits, but considering I had to slip out of wet suit bottoms, put on bike shorts, socks, bike shoes, I did better than a lot of the other participants who came out of the pool at roughly the same time. Of course, there were plenty of faster T1's, too. I didn't rush pellmell but tried to focus and do what I had to do without making mistakes. I took time for a Gu and a drink of Gatorade, this definitely helped me on the bike. I stopped for about 30 seconds to wait for my sis until she urged me to go ahead. Clip in went OK, left foot a little troublesome but it got done. Down the driveway there are three (?) speed bumps, that is distracting when you're trying to clip in. Kept my running top that I'd swum in on and that worked great, it was cool and felt good and dried pretty quickly.

Timed myself to see where improvement was needed. Not worried so much about changing my wet suit bottoms (I don't know why I fixated on this but I felt I HAD to). Taken my swim cap off sooner (I forgot I was wearing it til I was almost at the transition area, DOH).
Bike
  • 60m
  • 14 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I have got to get better at cornering. Also, because I had a bad fall a few weeks ago I am very tentative on the downhills. I found the only times I was able to really let go and fly down was when I had someone I wanted to pass, then the motivation overpowered my fear. I was passed by many (the bike is my biggest weakness) but I passed quite a few people on the hills, particularly at the end when I still felt strong. I did the route 4 times over the past 6 weeks, that helped a ton. I knew what to expect, was not surprised by the hills, and was confident about where the turns were.

Forced myself to keep hands off the brakes, no matter how fast I was flying downhll or how sharp the curve ahead of me seemed! Been less tentative on cornering so that I didn't lose so much speed. Still, I think this may have been my best time on the course. Since we didn't have splits, I can't be sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Seemed to go smoothly. I clipped out with no trouble, which was a relief because though I've practiced hundreds of times, I've only been riding without toe cages since May. I wanted a GU but didn't have it because I was worried about cramping. Wish I had eaten it anyway. I was a little preoccupied worrying about where my sister was. I was sure she'd catch up with me on the bike and was surprised that she never did. Turns out she had a slipped chain and lost 5 minutes in T1, but I didn't know this til I saw her on the run later.

Eaten that GU and taken more of a drink. I definitely did not hydrate enough.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Fantastic run. My best 5K time ever. I felt slow starting out but wanted to avoid cramping (I did the bike course and run twice in training as a BRICK and had bad cramps both times) so I took it easy and kept relazed. Breathing was great, not too hard. I passed many and was only passed by one person. Passed several racers who had passed me on the bike, THAT felt fantastic. Sure, you passed me on the bike, but look out cause here I am again! Ran alongside another woman for a few minutes, she'd passed me on the bike and we had a nice chat, then we got to the last hill and I just let it all out there and *flew* up to the finish. Sprints at the end are generally not one of my strong points, I'm more a slow-and-steady kind of girl, but I really pushed it today and it felt great to put it all out and know I had done my best.

Gone a little faster in the first half, not held back so much because I definitely had more left in me at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around congratulating every finisher that I knew. A little stretching, probably not nearly enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just being new to the sport. The congestion among the swimmers definitely slowed me down quite a bit. Next year I'll train better for the swim and be in one of the under-10 minute waves, I think that will make for a much better swim and race overall.

Event comments:

This is a race with an abudndance of friendly, helpful volunteers. Bike course was fairly challenging, run course fairly easy overall. I thought that for a small race it was well run and I definitely enjoyed myself. I knew many of the participants and volunteers, so it was also a fun social event for me. Can't argue with that. I will definitely do it again next year. We did have timing chips but did not have splits, wish we had. Also, times were posted but I was one of the last to start so I never saw my time - my kids were antsy and we had to get moving. Would have liked times posted sooner so that I would know how I'd done before the next day!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 400 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/239
Performance: Good
This is actually an estimated time, may have been a teeny bit shorter. We did not have splits available and I didn't have a watch that times splits.
Suit: Running top & bikini bottoms
Course: Zig-zag 8 laps over 8 lanes. Up and back in one lane, then ducked under the lane divider to start the next lap.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:60:00 | 14 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
About an hour including T1 and T2 times.
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly. In Southern Carroll County and Howard (where I live) you can't get away from it. There were two very tough hills, a few moderates, and one small kick ass hill, steep and windy, that comes on the very last bit, after a sharp left. Some traffic on the first few miles, not much after that. Lots of turns, I thought, but then it was my first race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:30 | 03.1 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Course: Up and back on Liberty Road. Lots of traffic but a wide shoulder so it was fine. One big hill on the way out (not as bad on the way back), then a smaller hill just before the turn back to the swim club and up the drive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1.75
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon

2005-06-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: #178487

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon
Good race Gina. I enjoyed it too
2005-06-20 2:31 PM
in reply to: #178879

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: RE: South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon
Thanks, Marcy! It definitely is a good local tri.

Good luck in your upcoming races. Are you doing Disney with Team in Training? I've heard that is a fantastic tri. Wish I could have done it this year!

Wish I were doing more this summer, but I just have a 10K on Saturday (Dreaded Druid Hills) and then nothing until the Baltimore 1/2 Marathon.

Next year I hope to do more local sprints.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Swim Club Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed