Tim Neckar
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 46s
Overall Rank = 9/31
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

1:45 drive to Waco. Parked about 50 feet from the Start/finish line. Packet pickup. Pinned my number & got dressed to race.
Event warmup:

Not much considering the distance. Ate a powerbar and walked to the start.
Run
  • 6h 26m 46s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 12m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run the 20 mile race but a week before I got the crazy idea to sign up for the 50k. What's another 11 miles, right? It's a whole different world is what it is...

My longest runs this year have been two half marathons. So it is fair to say that I was pushing it by running 50k. But I knew it was going to be slow & that I would be walking some (a lot). The plan was to go as long as I could & walk it in if need be.

After the first 1/2 mile along the brazos river, the course turns inland & goes straight up. Then down, then up, then down, repeat about 20 more times. I started out with an aggie named Boog right away. We stayed together the whole first lap. We were averaging about 11:00 to 11:30 miles. Good brisk pace, but in hindsight a little too fast. Finished the first loop in 1:49, made a pit stop and started out for the second loop.

Boog started complaining about his IT band not too long after we started lap 2. We slowed a bit, which was fine with me. By the second rest stop, Boog pulled out. I was on my own. An old salt (Jacob) told me it's harder to keep running when you're alone. I started walking the long climbs (which I should have done the first loop). I was able to run the rest of the time. I was still averaging close to 11:30 mile splits. Felt great up to about mile 18. Came into the finish line @ 3:46:00, about 8 minutes slower than the first lap. Grabbed some electrolyte tabs, shed my arm warmers & took off.

Little over 20 down, 10 to go. As I ran along the river, I really thought I was going to do it. By the time I got halfway up that first hill, I was bend over, head down by my knees, thinking it was only a short walk back to the car. I hit the wall. I stood there for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. I finally convinced myself to just keep going forward. So I started walking and after a few minutes I was running again. Not fast, but running none the less. The course had mile markers which gave me goals. 9 more goals to attain. Much easier than one big one! By then my mile spilts were between 14:00 & 15:00. But they were steady, which was good. I was walking more, but I was still able to start running when I wanted. There wasn't any negotiations with myself about running. I didn't have to convince myself to run. I was very happy about that. Between mile 27 & 28 I missed a turn & probably ran an extra 1/2 mile. Right after that I cramped up. I thought I was done running. I walked it out for a few minutes and was able to start running again. The last mile I ran in under 13:00. Came in at 6:26:46.

I finished an Ultra!

What would you do differently?:

Take salt replacement earlier. Eat more pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

2 beers & 3 hamburgers!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trail running skill & long run training.

Event comments:

What racing should be!!!

Last updated: 2010-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
06:26:46 | 31.07 miles | 12m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 9/31
Performance: Good
1st Lap- 1:49 2nd Lap- 1:57 3rd Lap- 2:40
Course: Approx 10.3 mile loop. Very hilly technical single track. Several water crossings. Rocks (babyheads), roots, step ledges. About 1/4 mile on pavement that was uphill :(
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-19 1:57 AM

User image

Regular
Erbil
Subject: Toughest N' Texas 50K

2010-03-19 2:02 AM
in reply to: #2735014

User image

Plano, Tx
Subject: RE: Toughest N' Texas 50K
AWESOME Job

I don't know how many times during an ultra I've stopped and had to talk myself into not stopping

Welcome to the club!
2010-03-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2735014

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good race, very impressive.
2010-03-19 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2735603

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome!  I was in the process of talking myself out of ever doing a 50K race but your report has given me hope.  Enjoy the recovery!

Tracy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toughest N' Texas 50K Rss Feed