Greenville Track Club
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 9s
Overall Rank = 183/1359
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/67
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel and had a 1/2 cup of coffee with orange juice for breakfast. Stayed downtown and drove the short distance to the parking area early. I was running this with a friend, Doug Swiggum. I wore running tights (thigh-length), a running shirt, heavy socks and my Asics Nimbus (great socks & shoes).
Event warmup:

I stuck with my 1/4-mile warm-up routine; beginning with walking, then a short jog, followed by light stretching. The weather was very nice for the race, 50ish with a very light periodic rain.
Run
  • 1h 45m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out very fast for me because it was mostly downhill. I skipped the 1st water stop to avoid the confusion and to get to a place that I had less congested runnning room. This worked fine, since I started out hydrated and kept that up through the remaining stops. It helped that the weather was cool. I hit the the 8-mile mark at 1:01:30; way too fast for me, given the long climb ahead (of course, I would have known this if I had riden the course as planned). I finished the final 5.1 miles in 44-minutes (9-min pace) and had to fight most of this part, since I had not included many hills in my training. My mental endurance was very good, but my thighs took a beating from the lack of hill-preparedness. Still a decent time and fun race.
What would you do differently?:

My finish photo clearly shows my runners-nipple (bleading left nipple streaked clear down my shirt). I now wear UA heat gear tank whenever I run over 8-miles. I did use lubricant, but not effectively. I also would ride the course before hand (per plan).
Post race
Event comments:

The best part is the finish in the Drive (minor league baseball team) stadium. You enter in right field, run the fence and down 3rd base line, crossing the tape at home plate. The home plate shaped finishers medal was nicely done.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:09 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/67
Overall: 183/1359
Performance: Average
Course: Through the streets and greenways of Greenville, SC; nice course this is basically 8-miles downhilll, then 5 miles uphill. We got in late the night before and didn't have a chance to ride the course, as we had planned. The course was well marked with sufficient volunteers to keep you on track and cheer you on periodically.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes