General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm Freaking Out! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-20 12:04 PM

Subject: I'm Freaking Out!
I just took my new bike outside for my first outdoor ride.  I did an hour and a half, and was going to run right after.  Problem was, my left arm kinda would go numb, and when i dismounted from my bike, my hips would not bend more than 45 degrees.  Where my hamstring attaches to my butt is killing me.  I can barely sit down or go upstairs. 

I'm assuming this is not normal, but what the heck did I do?  Is my bike not fitted properly?  Is it because I got a leg message yesterday and everything was real loose, and did no appreciate the workout? 

Any advice or info would greatly help.  I'm worried that there is something wrong with me.

2010-03-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2737268

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: I'm Freaking Out!
I would guess it's a combination of fit and lack of fitness.  Although, until you fix the fit, you're going to have a hard building fitness.  You're not going to want to ride it's uncomfortable.  Did the bike store that sold you the bike offer to do a fit?  I don't think the massage would make much of a difference.

I just got back on the road in the last couple of weeks and my legs were fine but I can tell my neck and shoulders aren't used to the position yet.

Ernie
2010-03-20 1:19 PM

They did a slight fit, but I believe I will be able to get a good fit in a couple weeks with them.  Also, I can't see it being lack of fitness as I have been doing a lot on the trainer.  Granted, it was windy out and I did have some hills, but still didn't think it would make that much of a difference.
2010-03-20 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Like was mentioned before, fit and lack of fitness, plus some 1st ride of the season considerations. But let's be clear, trrainer ride does not equal outside ride.

All conjecture here, but I'm always really sore 1st outside ride of the season because 1) you get real hills, 2) you push harder (even though you may not know it), 3) there's wind and balance that comes into play, making you use the core, 4) the cool air outside cools you more than on a trainer, allowing you to push more, and in your case, 5) 90 min is a long ride for you (after checking your logs), and 6) you probably had the 'new bike endorphin' thing working, masking some of how hard you were pushing. 

I wouldn't blame the massage...I would reserve judgment until after the fit and you get 10 or 20 outside rides in.
2010-03-20 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
sub4fire - 2010-03-20 1:04 PM Where my hamstring attaches to my butt is killing me.  I can barely sit down or go upstairs. 

Not sure about all the other stuff... but I'd ice that area down.  Tweaked mine sometime last year in a spin class and after some Google research on hamstrings it seemed like ice and taking it easy was the recipe for recovery.    Easy to do given the area... sat on the couch with an icepack under it with my leg propped up for a bit.  

2010-03-20 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
To me it sounds like you seat height is not right. I have had this problem in the past went the seat was either to high or to low, made an adjustment and it was then fine. More often than not my seat had to be lowered a bit and it had nothing to do with my fitness. If I were you I would measure my old bike and make sure that the new one was set up the same.

Edited by gerald12 2010-03-20 3:14 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm Freaking Out! Rss Feed