General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 15s
Overall Rank = 14/535
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/66
Pre-race routine:

Up early for some oatmeal before leaving the house. Got to the race site before transition opened, but discovered I had parked next to Dennis (from NTEX Masters swimming). Turns out we were also set up one rack apart, so we chatted while getting ready.

It wasn't until I was in transition and set up that I looked over, saw another racer's bike, and realized that I had completely forgotten my front race wheel (tri-spoke) at home. Oh, gees!
Event warmup:

Out on the run course for about a mile of warmup. A late bathroom break left me scrambing to get around into the swim lineup, so no swim warmup this time.
Swim
  • 05m 11s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was pretty solid. Drafted only a smidge; went ahead and made passes since it was a short event.

There were some people diving in to the pool to start, and no official came over to stop it. Unfair advantage.
What would you do differently?:

My flip turns weren't great, especially pushing off into the next lane.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Grabbed my arm warmed that I have staged at the pool exit. However, they wouldn't slip on my wet arms, so I ditched them when I reached the bike. Mount line was pretty far out of transition, so even though it was a pretty quick change, the overall time was a bit long. 7th in AG.

A smidge slow getting clipped in after jumping on bike.
Bike
  • 34m 7s
  • 12.58 miles
  • 22.12 mile/hr
Comments:

A good ride for me. Passed by only one person, who was on their second lap as I started the first. I used him as a rabbit for that first lap, then tried to keep the pace up on my own. Was pushing hard enough that I didn't regret not having the arm warmers, even though my feet were numb by the time I finished.

Remember all my race gear. The front tire might have given me the 2 seconds needed to take another overall place.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Good dismount, but again a long run just to get to transition. Just a smidge slow getting the bike on the rack. (Aerobottle makes it hard to get the brake levers over the bar.) However, was quick getting shoes on and onto the run.

1st in AG

(Combined T1+T2: 2nd in AG)
Run
  • 19m 3s
  • 3.04 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

A great run for me. My Garmin measured the course slightly short, but even extrapolating for a full 5k, it was still a PR run (19:25)! I didn't get to pace off anybody, but there were enough people on the course that I always had someone to chase and pass.

Even caught up with and had a chance to acknowledge Dennis on the second half.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a few minutes, congratulated Dennis when he finished and met his family. Saw Aaron (JeepFleeb) and chatted for a few minutes.

Then went back to transition, changed into my regular running shoes (out of my racers) and a potty stop before heading back on to the run course for some extra mileage. (Since we couldn't get bikes out yet.)

Ended up doing three additonal loops of the run course. Took it slower and cheered/encouraged the other racers this time. Volunteers and I started heckling each other after they realized what I was doing, which was fun.

Event comments:

In the past, I have hesitated to recommend Dallas Athletes races. However, this event was much better and seemed to go off smoothly. (Other than the issue with not preventing diving into the pool.)

Post race had pancakes (cool!) but only oranges and bananas otherwise. Fuze and PowerAde were providing drinks, and there was a band at the finish. (A bagpiper was playing in the natatorium during the swim, which I really liked.)

Schwag included a decent running hat and socks (both with shamrock theme), but I wasn't fond of the long-sleeve cotton race t-shirt.

Last updated: 2010-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:11 | 300 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/66
Overall: 64/535
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50m pool. This was a six-lane snake swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:07 | 12.58 miles | 22.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/66
Overall: 28/535
Wind:
Course: Two loops; slight rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:03 | 03.04 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/66
Overall: 12/535
Course: Out-and-back along mostly tree-covered trail. A couple very minor inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes