The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 35s
Overall Rank = 406/10481
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 26/244
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed the night before around 10-ish. Woke up around 4am. I like to be awake for at least 2-3 hrs before the race. I can't run right after I wake up. Put my stuff together and drove to the Lindbergh MARTA station. Rode the train with 100's of my closest friends (love to see so many people doing this race!) Got there and grabbed a couple cups of water, a couple pee stops, and headed to Coral C to meet up with Greg.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little hear and there and chit chatted for a bit.
Run
  • 1h 38m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Greg has all the data, but from discussion:

First few miles were around 7:10 pace. Didn't feel too bad, but he assured me that I did not want to keep that pace for long, so we slowed it down a little. Around mile 3 I couldn't hold my bladder anymore, so as soon as I saw a porta-john I peeled off and told Greg I'd catch up. Thankfully they hadn't got to far and I caught back up in about a half a mile. We kept pace under 8:00. Once we hit about 50 minutes, Greg suggested I hit up the Gu, so I did, another wise choice. I grabbed water two times at random points on the course, which was just the right amount. I'm glad Greg partied the night before, because I probably wouldn't have been able to keep up. We followed the 1:40 pacers (one of them a co-worker from Tech), and just tried to keep up. I didn't start feeling anything until somewhere between mile 11 and 12. At this point, I decided it was now or never to break 1:40. So as soon as we made the turn to mile 12 I picked up the pace. Greg finally let me go on, because of a small injury he was feeling (not an A race, so I understand). I felt like PRing with pizazz, so another lady and myself ran together and pushed it for the last .75. I was nearly 100ft from the turn to finish and my race belt falls off!! Argh!! I have to run back pick it up, and caught up to the lady (wish I would have gotten her name) and we ran as fast as are legs would let us under the finish banner!! As soon as I turn around to get a breather, Greg is right behind! I stayed for a second to thank the 1:40 pacers for doing such a great job. What a great race!
What would you do differently?:

For my first Half-Mary, Nothing! Training paid off 100%!!
Post race
Warm down:

Grab some grub and cheered on the runners with some NAMC members! Great group of folks! After they headed out, I tried to stick around to see my friends finish the Marathon. I could only take the cold up till the 4hr mark and I had to head home. Well, found out they finished at 4:23 and 4:25, so missed them by just a little bit. We actually met up after we showered and hit the WAHO! It was glorious! And it was their first Full Marathon, so they had some good stories. What a great day. I'm truly blessed to have a great group of people that support me every day! Thanks everyone!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not bionic!!

Event comments:

Awesome! And it was free for me, so even better!!

Last updated: 2009-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:35 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/244
Overall: 406/10481
Performance: Good
AVG HR 176 MAX HR 193
Course: Great course!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-03-21 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

2010-03-21 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2738732

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon

"I did not feel anything until mile 12..." that says it all.  Great run.  Congrats on a stellar 1/2 mary debut!   LOL on the fuel belt. 

I was in C, but got there just before the start and did not see anyone. 

2010-03-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2738732

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Half-Marathon
Great job! I think you will be pacing me next time. It took me 3- 1/2 marathons to accomplish what you did in your debut, so keep up the great work- you have potential to really kick some butt out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Half-Marathon Rss Feed