2010-03-21 7:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-03-21 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2739087

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: RE: Kids and allowance for chores
My kids do chores because they are part of the family.  They do not get allowance (they're too young anyways) and never will.

I will give them bigger jobs to get paid and earn and understand money etc.

I personally think the last thing kids need today is more entitlement (aka, free money, or money for doing what they should be doing in the first place). 
2010-03-21 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2739112

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
bradword - 2010-03-21 5:56 PM My kids do chores because they are part of the family.  They do not get allowance (they're too young anyways) and never will.

I personally think the last thing kids need today is more entitlement (aka, free money, or money for doing what they should be doing in the first place). 

X1000
2010-03-21 8:14 PM

Pro
Houston
bradword - 2010-03-21 7:56 PM My kids do chores because they are part of the family.  They do not get allowance (they're too young anyways) and never will.

This is what we do and my kids are old enough.  My boys are 17 and 15 and do chores because they are part of the family.  The only set chore they have is cleaning their room, their bathroom and doing their own laundry.  I also ask them to empty or load the dishwasher regularly and my oldest does the sweeping when I ask.

They earn money when they babysit, mow the grass and wash the cars.  They get paid $1 less per hour than our regular babysitter, and get paid less than it would cost us to pay someone to mow the grass or wash the car.  They know if they want to do something they don't have the money to do they have to earn money by the above chores.  If they want to go to the movies I'm not just going to give them $15, it has to be their money they have earned.

My girl are 7, 6 and 3.  They have to clean their bedroom and our school room and along with other small chores like putting away silverware out of dishwasher and setting the table.  They do these chores because they are members of our family and don't get paid.  The only spending money they have comes from the tooth fairy $1 per tooth.
2010-03-21 8:20 PM

2010-03-21 8:23 PM

Pro
Houston
You have to do what you and your husband feel comfortable doing.
IMO regular chores like emptying the dishwasher and putting away their own clean clothes are not payable chores.
If she wants to earn money she need to do the above and beyond chores and save.
There is a LOT to be learned by not getting what she wants NOW.  If she has to save for this for 6 months she will appreciate it a lot more than you paying her for every little chore she does.

2010-03-21 8:40 PM

Pro
Husker Nation
bradword - 2010-03-21 7:56 PM

My kids do chores because they are part of the family.  They do not get allowance (they're too young anyways) and never will.

I think you have to define "what they should be doing in the first place". If you're talking about making the bed, brushing their teeth, and stuff like that, then I agree. If you're talking about mowing the lawn, milking the cows, feeding the animals, scooping the driveway, and other such stuff, then I think there's some discretion involved. I don't think anybody has mentioned free money or entitlement. The OP asked about giving money for kids doing chores, not for breathing. But chores mean different things to different people.

For us, we're trying to sort through this as well. We are getting two foster boys within the next couple weeks and we're bouncing around ideas on what we're going to pay them for, what they're going to do because they're a part of our family, and all of that stuff. I look forward to hearing what others are doing with this excellent teaching opportunity!
2010-03-21 8:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Bradword has one way of looking at it which is very relevant.

The approach my parents took with me was I got paid a set amount per week for doing my jobs - however that was my money to budget for buying clothes, paying for school excursions, junk food, swimming lessons, sports etc.  My parents were pretty strict on not giving me advances or buying these things for me.

I still had to work for it (and growing up on a farm there was plenty of work) however I also had to learn how to budget.

I alternatively could make extra money involving buying and raising livestock - eg had a few cows that I sold the calves of, bought other calves and bottle fed them and then sold them when older hopefully at a profit.  Was also free to take on outside work which unfortunately was very rare where I lived at the time.
2010-03-21 8:56 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Most of the "chores" in our household are things that our 2 older boys need to assist with, without incentive/pay, ex. doggy duty, once a week or every other week vacuuming, room pickup, and some additional cleaning stuff.
Now that my older boy is 13, wifey and I will pay him for sitting the other two boys (only have done that once or twice so far), but will put the money into his special savings account for his trip to Washington, D.C. next year.
In the past we tried giving the 2 older boys an allowance, but we haven't continued with it.  They  haven't brought it up nor have they questioned it.
We do use a reward system during the school year when their report cards reflect their great academic achievements.
2010-03-21 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2739213

Red Lion, PA
My kids are too young for chores and allowance, but i've thought about what we plan to do.  I think allowances should help in learning responsibility and savings and rewards, but i think i'll be a hardass on what constitutes getting a reward.  kids need some type of reward system and someone to enforce it to learn responsibility.  Now if i could only teach my wife to stop buying stuff for the kids all the time....
2010-03-21 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2739256

2010-03-21 9:35 PM

2010-03-21 10:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
While I do not yet have kids of my own I thought I would share my Sister in laws method with her 3 kids (twin 5 year old boys and a 3 year old girl). They all get a set allowance each week provided they do their basic housework (for them it is things like helping set the table, feeding their tarantula, keeping the room semi picked up etc.) There are occasional extra chores they can do for extra money. Here is the kicker. Each of the boys get, I think 9 dollars a week. $3 goes into their savings account, $3 into a special piggy bank which is given to any charity they decide upon (like the teddy bears for orphans or they also sent it to Haiti when that happened I think.) It is completely their choice but they have to do give it to a charity. The final $3 is theirs for pocket money, spending on little toys, gum, candy, whatever they want. But when they are out, they are out. Their savings accounts are used for them to purchase bigger items with. I think they each saved up for a bike (well 50/50 with the parents) or bigger more expensive toys like Lego sets.

The plan is, as they get older, they will get more money slightly but will still have to divide it up like that. It is a good way so far of teaching them all about earning their money, saving it, and giving some to those in need. And yes if they fail to do their chores they will not get the weekly allowance and have to go without.
2010-03-21 10:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
since I am a ''kid'' (17) leaving under my parents roof.
I never get paid for my chores. my papa will sometimes give me Lots of work. and he will never pay me. But they do let me go out and work once Im done with my suff at the house.
I think its fair. and knowing that my dad was left alone at 17yo with no cash or possesions and made it through life makes me realize that my life is alot easier than his is.
and btw. my friends who do get allowances are no goods.
2010-03-21 10:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
My older kids (10 & 9) get paid for "over and above" chores.  I buy their clothes and things like that but anything extra like a toy or a book out of the book order they have to pay for.  Here's a few of my reasons:
 1.  They really understand money now.  They know they have to work pretty stinkin' hard and long for $10.  So money isn't just an arbitrary number to them. 
2.  It eliminates nagging.  You'd be  amazed at what they are no longer desperate for when they have to earn it themselves.  They can get whatever they want, if they earn it.
3.  They really seem to appreciate what they do get more and have a sense of satisfaction knowing they earned it themselves.
4.  They appreciate Christmas and Birthday gifts so much more because they know how hard they would have had to work themselves to get those items.

Maybe Congress needs to do some chores. :)

Edited by AlanaF 2010-03-21 10:50 PM
2010-03-21 10:50 PM

Elite
Reno

because I don't have kids, I AM the expert, so take note of all I say.

I am a big believer in kids learning how to work, and that work is part of life.   My viewpoint is formed from my own upbringing and then my experiences with trying to employ young people.  Man, what a bunch of entitled little sh1t$ I met in the 16-25 year old range of employees.  I am afraid for us as a species.

I think chores should be a given for kids.   I did not grow up with cows, but we heated by wood, had extensive gardens, canning, and snow removal issues.   HTM and I sure learned how to work as kids.    I would NEVER have expected my folks to shell out any extra cash for shoveling the snow for our home (and the side walks of our elderly neighbors).  We preserved the foods from the garden, and had to help.  We also had to help pick berries for any jam we wanted to eat that year (my mom would make Jam from the wild berries that grew on a hillside a few miles from our home - we would ride our bikes down with buckets over our handlebars and pick pick pick.    Mom would make as much jam as we picked, and that was IT - no store bought jam graced our PB sammies or toast).  And, we heated by wood - hauling wood was a part of life from a young age, and splitting and cutting came in the mid teens.   NO extra money.

Now, allowances were given.  We were expected to save our money for the things we wanted, or for extra spending money.  I don't remember it being tied to what I did that week, but if I was in trouble, I didn't get any.

Anyway, as an employer, I beg you.   Teach your kids that work is part of life.

2010-03-21 11:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Even though I have spent most of my adult life in the western US (where it is warm), I grew up in Niagara Falls, and did chores as part of the family.  I earned money by shoveling driveways in the winter (which is most of the year in upstate NY), and mowed neighbor lawns in the summer.

Our grandchildren live with us now and do some basic chores, as well as take care of their room and bathroom.  We pay them $5 a week, and actually keep the money in a jar for them.  They can spend it but after a discussion.  Thats what they get for having grandparents that come from adolescent psychiatric setting.  Our son grew up with a behavioral program of points based on appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Oh yeah money for chores....maybe we are control freaks, but if that what it takes to keep them out of trouble, so be it.
2010-03-22 1:22 AM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
bradword - 2010-03-21 7:56 PM

That's where we are heading.

Right now my 3yo's responsibilities are feeding the dog and picking up her toys before bed. Both require supervision. We'll add more as she gets older.

Growing up I had to do chores because everyone in the family had to pitch in, but I got paid to mow the lawn (at least a 5 hour job, we had a lot of lawn). Eventually I got paid more to mow my neighbors yard and subcontracted our yard out to my sister.

ETA: Forgot about setting the table. My daughter also helps set the table.

Edited by graceful_dave 2010-03-22 1:30 AM
2010-03-22 6:55 AM

Elite
South Florida
We're trying to figure this out right now.  I feel like my kids need to learn more about money than I did - my parents just gave me money when I asked pretty much.  I just haven';t decided if I want to attach the money to extra chores or make it a straight allowance so they can learn how to budget a little bit.  Oh, and I will also do the part to charity thing.  We do that now when they get big amounts of money (if my mom or aunt send each $20 for something.)  We've only done it twice, but I had each kid pitch in $5 and we donated to their charity of choice - once the food shelter where I was volunteering and once the dog shelter where they got to have fun picking out food and toys for the animals.
2010-03-22 6:59 AM

Master
Midcoast Maine
We just started a "chore chart" - I had the girls (age 7 & 9) make a list of things they wanted to do each week (their list was remarkably close to what I would have put on it) and we put it into a chart where they have to check off each item each day. Some of the things are basic (keep your room clean, clear the dishes, etc), but others are more "behavioral" (be kind to the pets, compromise on one thing each week). They don't get an allowance for finishing the chores on their list, but they can "earn" $ by doing extra things (cleaning up their craft area, more than once compromise in a week's time, helping me make dinner, etc.)

We decided on giving them an allowance because they didn't get the value of $. Now that they have to save up to get something, it makes much more sense. I also really like the idea of them being able to spend their money on something cheap, and then (possibly) regretting it later as a way for them to learn about the value of things. I also think that they should have some control over entertainment things...

So far, so good. Ask me again in a year.
2010-03-22 7:28 AM

Master
Centennial, CO

My 3.5 yo has a chore chart.  she gets sticker for each thing she does (help set table, feed dog, help in garden, help mommy with dinner, etc.  she gets a quarter for each thing she does.  Suprisingly, even at 2.5 she understands the concept of do a chore, earn some money and buy something you want.

2010-03-22 10:41 AM

Elite
the desert
My kids have their standard daily/weekly chores. They will get an allowance when they take it upon themselves to do some additional work without having to be asked.
2010-03-22 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2739539

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kids and allowance for chores Rss Feed