Racesonline.com
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 42m 52s
Overall Rank = 133/1103
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/60
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:20am. I ate a bowl of oatmeal with a sliced banana and wheat germ. I did about 15 minutes of stretching, packed my gear and left my house at 6:30am for a 10 minute drive to the race site.
Event warmup:

I did an easy 1/2 mile run, followed by 4 x 100m strides.
Run
  • 1h 42m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Challenging race conditions with a steady cold rain from start to finish and a chilly headwind on the second half of the route. Temps. dropped from the low 50's at the start into the mid 40's during the race. It was sunny and a more seasonal 71 degrees yesterday. I had trained for a sub 1:40 half and that was my goal. However, it wasn't going to happen today. I felt sluggish during the first 3 miles and could not get on pace. I got into a groove from miles 4-10, but the wheels started coming off again around mile 9. I was completely spent when I crossed the finish line. I gave the race my best effort, but couldn't pull off my time goal today. By mile 10, the wind and rain had taken its toll on me - I just wanted to finish this event and get back home to a warm shower.
What would you do differently?:

I would have done more long runs on cold, windy, rainy days.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. I finished, grabbed a couple of bananas, offered congratulations to a few running buddies, then drove home to take a hot shower. I did some stretching and took a nap after my shower before eating lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and limited training in adverse weather.

Event comments:

I have run this half marathon several times in years past. It has always been a well organized and supported event. This year, it was a race in the cold rain and wind. I heard some feedback that the race organizers ran out of post race food well before all of the runners had finished. It was really great to see so many volunteers out working the event in the cold rain and windy conditions. As a Germantown resident, I particularly enjoyed running this event through neighborhoods where I do my training runs.

Last updated: 2009-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/60
Overall: 133/1103
Performance: Below average
Avg. HR 164 bpm, Max HR 221 bpm.
Course: Loop course that started and finished at the Germantown Performing Arts Center. With the exception of 4-5 hills, the course was mostly flat. The biggest hill ascent was early in the race between miles 2 & 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-21 10:11 PM

User image

Germantown, TN
Subject: Germantown Half Marathon

2010-03-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2739318

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Germantown Half Marathon
Nice run, I agree about the weather, it was brutal!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Germantown Half Marathon Rss Feed