General Discussion Race Reports! » Tobacco Road Half and Full Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tobacco Road Half and Full Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cary, NC, North Carolina
United States
FS
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 59s
Overall Rank = 115/790
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/121
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 3:30 made coffee. Had a protein drink and then a banana. Later had a nature valley granola bar. More coffee, three cups I think. arrived at the park about 5:45. wore under armor shirt and warm up pants then put in special needs bag.
Event warmup:

stretches. Ate at bonefish grill. Had 2 beers this day. One when we left Fayetteville and one with dinner. HAd an awesome goat cheese chicken dish with artichoke. Oh and bacon wrapped scallops. Wow awesome.
Run
  • 1h 41m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

mile paces 8:11 7:26 7:41 7:58 7:34 7:38 7:37 7:43 7:33 7:38 7:36 7:49 7:51
Heart rate went up at mile 10 and I fought to keep it under 200.
Plenty of aid stations and got water and gatoraide several times, starting around mile 4 or 5
What would you do differently?:

NEVER do a gu without water to wash it down with. Almost choked to death when it went down the wrong tube.
Post race
Warm down:

picked up medal, went to get camera. Saw pizza guy and grabbed 2 pieces while they searched for the special needs bag. Went back got picture of Maia then walked it off. Got sports massage. More pizza and beer. Did I really strecth? Maybe in line for beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heart rate concerns.

Event comments:

Awesome set up. Wonderful hotel. Two rooms in one, a living room and bedroom. Two tv sets.Great race price of 89$ Shuttle to the race. Was confusion on return shuttle and race director was driving people back. Thanks to him we made it to the truck. I had to cut us in front of the return line and piss off a few folks, but when its time to go its time to go. I wasnt leaving my honey to sit around on the curb for god knows how long. After returning home and discussing the heart rate situation it was determined that there was no way my heart rate was 200. There must have been an error with the monitor, which others have experienced.

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:39 | 13.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/121
Overall: 115/790
Performance: Good
low hr: 90 ave hr:163 high hr:208 at about mile 10 heart rate started to soar
Course: some paved trail and compressed gravel. 6 or so miles on the road and a few hiles at beginning and end.Was an out and back run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes