United States
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 513/1492
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 58/89
Pre-race routine:

Becky & I woke up at 5:50 a.m 'ish. Small bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. Took my vitamin, triflex, and some Sports Legs pills. Drive to the meeting place to catch up with Mike, Courtney & Enrique. Had a Clif bar in the car on the way and a bottle of water.
Event warmup:

It was raining and cool, a little stretching indoors (very little). Talked with a few people I knew, wait in the bathroom line, out to the start line.
Run
  • 2h 04m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, my wife completed her first mary in December and is going to do Chicago in September, so she is running way more miles than me and more consistently, but she has never run faster than me, only longer. Well no more, today she got a a new PR by about 7 minutes and I got "chicked" by my wife and her friend Courtney. They beat me by about 2:40. Other than a little ding to the pride I was very pumped for her.

For the first several miles I managed not to comletely submerge my feet underwater. As the rain progressively got harder, it was just a losing battle to keep the feet dry or any other part of me. At certain points on the course I wondered if I could float just as quickly as I could run.

My Garmin said the course was long by about .9 miles.

This was a tough run for me and it was a mental struggle from the beginning to get to the end. So I was pleased that I didn't walk any sections of the race except a couple of water stops so I wouldn't choke (I only walked while I had a cup in my hand with liquid in the cup.

I had a GU vanilla at the mile 6 water stop and I had some gatorade at the mile 9 stop and the mile 11 stop, everything else was just water.

I also tried to stay pretty consistent on my pace at about 9:10, I fell off that but tried to keep all paces below 9:40 to 9:50. Breathing was good, and I never felt like I needed to stop.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't as well trained for this race as I was for the half mary in December at the St. Jude. My time showed, since I was 4:34 slower. I need more total miles for the endurance and I need to introduce some speed work to see if I can get the time down. Most importantly, I need to drop some weight. Carrying all this extra around for 13.1 miles is a chore.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold, wet and tired. I got some water bottles and found our crew and we got in the car, changed shirts and went to find a hot cup of coffee and some breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, training time and effort, weather conditions (only slightly).

Event comments:

The weather definitely affected the post race, but on the course everything and everyone was great. Had a very good time.

Last updated: 2010-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/89
Overall: 513/1492
Performance: Average
Half way point (6.55 miles) time was 1:01:16 with a 9:22 pace and my rank in my age group was 57th. Overall finish was 58th in my age group with a 9:33 pace. Pretty consistent for the total, even though the second half was slower.
Course: The course was mostly flat with a few rolling hills. The hill coming into the finish line wasn't really any fun, but at 13 miles into the race, what is going to be fun right?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes