TNT Sports Marketing
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 23m 37s
Overall Rank = 36/79
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5:30. A little early maybe for so late a race, but we hadn't checked in our bikes at transition.
I think that was a mistake NOT to put bikes in transition on Sat. Night. We could have slept longer and had less to hassle with in the morning.
Breakfast of Banana and peanut butter, some saltines and a cup off coffee. Probably about 400 calories, which is what I was aiming for.
Cup of coffee, drive to race.
Set up transition and hang with my triathlon friends. It is nice to go to a race with 8 of your buddies. Nice to have a group.
Event warmup:

Wetsuit on and a quick swim. The waster was 68 degrees!!! Cold. I should have notices that my wetsuit wasn't on just right. The shoulders were tight, and it messed up up the start of my swim.
Swim
  • 30m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best, but not my worst. I couldn't find a rhythm at first and wasn't breathing well. At the first buoy, I stopped and pulled the shoulders of my wetsuit up and that seemed to help a ton. My sighting and navigation wasn't great, as I seemed to be zig-zagging all over the place.
Otherwise, once I hit my groove, I felt great.
What would you do differently?:

Check my wetsuit fit at start!
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Had what I thought was a good transition. Got my suit off quick and easy, helmet and socks too.
Dropped the electrolyte tab I meant to take, and the snickers made me choke, but it was worth it.
We didn't get good racks, so I had to run though transition telling people to watch out, but overall, I was happy.

Better Racking. No socks????
Bike
  • 2h 53m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

MY HR was crazy high at start, but there seemed to be a little wind, so I wasn't worried about it. Used my new aero bottle in the bars so I didn't have to move to drink. That was AWESOME.
Rode hard, but not too hard into the wind and then had a GREAT time with the tail wind. I was going 28 at one point, and I think the max speed I measured was 29.
It started to rain a little on the bike, and I was thinking...didn't it say LATE afternoon? Little did I know.
Signage could have been better at 2 KEY locations, and they could have had a porta-potty at the water refills.

I think I could have ridden faster, but was really focused on keeping my legs as "fresh" as possible for the run. My last two races I had blown myself out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I thought I did OK. Kept on a run the whole time. Legs and especially hips felt clunky, but I made it work. Again, poor rack selection, as the run exit was same as bike, no benefit in T2 at being so far down.

Better Rack position.
Run
  • 1h 55m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Why was everyone SO FREAKING FAST. I felt great about my bike and then I felt like everyone and their grandmother passed me on the run. However, I was determined to run MY race.
I found the signage a little lacking in places ,but it was nice to have water/gatorade every mile, even if it was self-serve.
I ran what I thought was reasonably hard, keeping my HR high. I waled 1 minute at most water stops.
I did manage a MASSIVE case of the stupids on the second loop. At one corner I stopped dead and couldn't for the life of me figure out which way to run. I mean, I had NO idea, even though I saw runners turning right. Thank goodness someone was close enough for me to ask and get started again.
Oh, and let me tell you about the Rain. It was like something out of a movie. We knew that a thunderstorm was expected, but this was CRAZY. Just after I started running, there was a MASSIVE, scare the kids and animals under the bed lighting strike with thunder.
Then, little by little we moved from a pleasant rain shower that would keep us all cools to a wow, I wonder where Noah has the Ark parked, because this is getting dangerous. I don't think I have EVER been so wet on a run. And still thirsty.

Run fast enough to catch Larry!
Post race
Warm down:

Fall down on ground and thank one of my training partners for making the race so great.
Get into the lake to cool off my legs for 10 minutes.
Stand around and get wet for 90 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I ran the race I wanted to the way I wanted and beat my previous 1/2 Iron time by over an HOUR!
I think I could have gone faster, but I ran the race I wanted.

Event comments:

I had a great race, and so did a majority of the training team we brought. Overall, the race was a good, local race. I think it could have used the following:
1. Better signs on important turns on Bike and Run.
2. Additional port a johns-2 on bike and 1 on run.
Not sure what post-race would have been like, as we got rained out.
I am highly likely to go back next year.

Last updated: 2009-12-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 17/79
Performance: Good
Avg 147.
Suit: Vortex Long John
Course: Two loops in a retention pond. Classic Florida Swim!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:33 | 56 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Overall: 34/79
Lap Time HR Max Avg Min Dist min/mile 2:55:18.4 131 166 149 125 55.340 3:10
Wind: Headwind
Course: Nice big loop course.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 44/79
Lap Time HR Max Avg Min 1:55:31.7 166 167 154 127
Course: Crazy two loop T shape thing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-22 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Gator 1/2 Iron Triathlon

2010-03-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2741311

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Subject: RE: Gator 1/2 Iron Triathlon
Good job!  Sounds like you had fun.
2010-03-23 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Holy cow!  You did awesome!  Beating your PR by an hour is ridiculous and your run really looks like it was spot on.  There are just some ridiculous runners out there.
2010-03-23 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Good race in horrible conditions.  That rain was unbelievable.

Mark

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gator 1/2 Iron Triathlon Rss Feed