General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Air pump qustion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-22 6:24 PM

User image

Bonney Lake, WA
Subject: Air pump qustion
Hey everyone.  I just got my new road bike (bought my sister's bike from her that she never road. It just sat for a year and a half)  It came with a little hand pump and flat tires.  I got a tire pressure gage to be sure I had the right amount of air in the tires.  That little pump is sooooo freakin hard for me to get more than 80psi in the tires they say 115-125 I think(I'm not at home).  I thought it was just me but the boyfriend tried too and he says its really hard. 

So do I need to get a stand pump for my house and just use the hand one for when I get a flat?  Are they supposed to be that hard to pump?

2010-03-22 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2741443

User image

Regular
Nashville
Subject: RE: Air pump qustion
tffnyjean - 2010-03-22 6:24 PM Hey everyone.  I just got my new road bike (bought my sister's bike from her that she never road. It just sat for a year and a half)  It came with a little hand pump and flat tires.  I got a tire pressure gage to be sure I had the right amount of air in the tires.  That little pump is sooooo freakin hard for me to get more than 80psi in the tires they say 115-125 I think(I'm not at home).  I thought it was just me but the boyfriend tried too and he says its really hard. 

So do I need to get a stand pump for my house and just use the hand one for when I get a flat?  Are they supposed to be that hard to pump?

I don't think the hand pumps are meant to get you that much pressure - just enough to get you rolling again. But then again I haven't used one in over 8 years. I like the CO2 cartridges for flat repair and floor model for at home and pre-race.
2010-03-22 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Yea, some little pumps are better than others, but they are really just for the quick fix.  Get a good floor pump to get you up to the high pressures before you ride.

JPF
2010-03-22 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
What they said.  I have a small frame pump that also doubles as a CO2 inflator for those occasions where I may use all my CO2 and still get another flat.  It fits under the rails of the bike seat, staying out of the way and keeping the bike lines clean.

Just remember to get a floor pump that also has a built in pressure gauge.  I didn't there were any without that, but my ultra cheap buddy found one and bought it to "save" money.  Of course, when he could never tell how much air he had in the tire, he had to buy another pump.
2010-03-22 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
What everyone has said. A hand pump is for an instant on the road when you gotta have something. A floor pump is what you should use for your normal pumping.  Get one that has a dual head, so you can pump presta and schrader valves. Also, get one with the gauge on it so you don't have to keep checking. Pump till your tire reaches the desired pressure. oh yeah, and enjoy the new bike.
2010-03-22 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Ditch the little hand pump, throw it in a box and never look back.

Like everyone said...

1) Get good floor pump with a gauge on it and use that 99% of the time. 

2) Get a CO2 pump and a couple cartridges and take that with you on the ride.  You'll be glad you have the CO2 when it's getting dark and you get a flat, or you have a group waiting for you to fix your tire (most likely someone will throw a CO2 at you in that scenario if you pulled out a hand pump).  Those hand pumps were tiring and took forever just to try to reach 80psi (as you've experienced already), CO2 takes seconds to get to 100+.  For a road bike, get the 16gram containers, not the 12gram.

Enjoy the new bike of course too.

Edit: Grams... not Ounces for those CO2 containers.... 12 and 16oz would probably be HUGE!

Edited by zionvier 2010-03-22 8:12 PM

2010-03-22 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2741594

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
zionvier - 2010-03-22 9:11 PM Ditch the little hand pump, throw it in a box and never look back.

Like everyone said...

1) Get good floor pump with a gauge on it and use that 99% of the time. 

2) Get a CO2 pump and a couple cartridges and take that with you on the ride.  You'll be glad you have the CO2 when it's getting dark and you get a flat, or you have a group waiting for you to fix your tire (most likely someone will throw a CO2 at you in that scenario if you pulled out a hand pump).  Those hand pumps were tiring and took forever just to try to reach 80psi (as you've experienced already), CO2 takes seconds to get to 100+.  For a road bike, get the 16gram containers, not the 12gram.

Enjoy the new bike of course too.

Edit: Grams... not Ounces for those CO2 containers.... 12 and 16oz would probably be HUGE!

I wouldn't ditch the pump.  I like to put a couple of strokes of air in the tube to help get it in place without pinching it under the tube, and that's the easiest way to do it. Plus if you are ever out on a solo ride and the CO2 cartridge is bad, or you've already used two (or however many you carry with you), it's good to have another method beyond calling for a ride.
2010-03-22 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
First, some frame pumps just won't get up there. I've had very good luck with the Blackburn Airstick mini-pumps. I can get 120 psi pretty easily with no signs of stopping.

BUT!!!  Those pumps aren't meant for every day use. You also need the floor pump (preferably with gage) for daily use. And I do mean daily (as in every time you ride).

I'm not big on CO2 cartridges. Never liked the one-use idea, and the potential for running out on that third flat. I can swap out a flat in under 2 minutes (including pumping up the tire), so it's really not an issue. When I was racing, getting a flat at all would mean out of the running anyway, so a little extra time swapping it out was a non-issue.
2010-03-22 10:30 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I have a pump that will get my tires to 120 and do it as quickly as my floor pump, and has a pressure gauge.  I do not use CO2.  That being said, most folks wouldn't put that pump on their bike.  It's out of my way but it is not tiny.  That being said, yesterday I was driving past someone who had a full floor pump in their backpack.  I had to laugh.  I am sure they were just going from point A to point B and not out for a long ride, but still funny.
2010-03-22 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
It's so easy to carry 4 co2s if you're that paranoid. And I'm paranoid as I've even carried an entire spare tire before.

You can inflate a tube enough to shape it with your mouth.

I do have a small hand pump for the mountain bike as those tires are too big for even a 16 co2 but a few pumps with the hand pump and finish with co2 is great (and FAST - and not exhausting!)

Road bike is a co2 inflater, 3 co2s, a tube and patch kit, 100k+ would be another tube and a few more co2s (more for helping others).
2010-03-23 11:59 AM

User image

Bonney Lake, WA
Thanks everyone!!

2010-03-23 7:37 PM

User image

Leesburg, Va
another thing that i didnt see was, the little hand pumps often cause the valve stem to move back and forth a good amount when inflating, spec. if your going to ~120ish (even if you have the nut on the valve. I kept getting leaks all the time and they were all around the valve. I thought it was the wheel and sanded the inside part of the wheel when some people passing me while changing yet another flat said to throw that pump to the side. I got a nice floor pump, and it is one of my best investments of all time. Once you get a nice floor pump that is acurate, its awesome. I keep two 16 g CO2s with me and spare tubes, I hate the patches, so I will work harder pulling extra weight knowing I can always get home. If you go to a race, you usually see people with bikes and pumps the two main things.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Air pump qustion Rss Feed