Alta Vista Sports
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 44s
Overall Rank = 4/31F
Age Group = Master's
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

Got everything into the car w/ Bob, made sure we had everything. Got on the road and realized I forgot coffee...OMG! How could I do that!!! We had to stop at a gas station and get some caffeine for me. Then on to the race.

Had to bike from parking area w/ all gear to the transition area. Then put my gear together on the rack. Practiced switching in and out of my running shoes, w/ the knee brace.
Event warmup:

Did lots of little jogs, and a few quick sprints to get warmed up.

Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Was drizzling a bit before the race, but stopped in time for it to start. Then at about mile 1 of the first run it started to rain.
What would you do differently?:

I took it out too fast. I knew that while I was doing it (thank you Garmin), but it felt SOOOOO good to run again I just went w/ the flow!
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Had to take an extra second to make sure my running shoes & knee brace would be ready for the second run. Other than that, smooth.

Nothing. I was pretty happy w/ the transition.
Bike
  • 46m 49s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Rain started coming down harder during the bike. There was a woman w/ a J & J bike jersey who leap-frogged w/ me the first half of the bike. (She was a little ahead of me at the end of the first run, but I beat her out of T1). The 2nd half of the bike she stayed about 20 meters behind me. Since she is the faster runner, I kept trying to ditch her, but she just stayed right behind me.

Nothing. I did my best.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Still pouring down rain. I looked at my running shoes and they had puddles in them! UGH!

Nothing...very happy.
Run
  • 20m 25s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was just having fun on the first mile of that last run. My legs are usually kind of numb from bike-to-run, so I just did whatever my legs felt like doing. That was the original plan. BUT, ~3/4 mile into that second run, a man was jogging towards me (obviously in the wave previous to mine who had finished already) cheers, WAY TO GO!!! YOU'RE 3RD OVERALL FEMALE!! OMG! I can't handle that responsibility! Now I have to push and WORK! Cuz I can hear right behind me that other female that had been dogging me the whole race. How am I going to hold her off?

Well, I did my best, but at about the 2 mile mark I couldn't hold her off anymore and she passed me. I did what I could but I just didn't have anything left in the tank. She got 3rd overall & I got first Master's.

Absolutely nothing. I definitely left it all out on the course and I couldn't have gone any faster if I tried.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of talking, walking, light jogging.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Out of shape, toting 15 lbs of excess weight.

Event comments:

I know I haven't been able to work out much since my shoulder injury, and certainly since the first surgery last year. My goal was just to have a "last hurrah" before surgury on April 6. I had a great time, felt wonderful doing it, and on top of all that, I won Master's...an unexpected bonus. Instead of trophies, they gave out our choice of an assortment of tri-tops. MUCH more functional!

Last updated: 2010-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:05 | 02.4 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 10/31F
Performance: Good
Mile 1) 8:13 Mile 2) 8:37 Mile 2.4)8:53
Course: Around Nocatee park, on sidewalk next to road, then turning off onto a bike path thru the trees for most of the 2nd part of the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:46:49 | 14 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/31F
Wind: Strong
Course: Two loops of a 7-mile course, each loop had 3 U-turns in them. Wet course because of the rain. Had to work to avoid the white paint on the roads, especially w/ all the turns.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:25 | 02.4 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 6/31F
Course: Same as first run, only MUCH wetter by now!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes