HiTri Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 56s
Overall Rank = 124/1400
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/100
Pre-race routine:

Not the usual... Transition setup and bathroom rituals were the same, but the pre-race power-bars are getting harder to handle. I still took a GU about 20minutes before the swim start, but I think I need to find a new pre-race meal
Event warmup:

It was a beach start, so I jogged/ran to the water before the swim started.
Swim
  • 41m
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim still sucked. I just need more time in the water. Swimming has been my least focused training activity in the last year.
What would you do differently?:

Train more...
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I'm not sure what took so long. I wasn't camping out, but did feel like some what of a mess in transition. This was the first race where I decided to wear calf compression sleeves so getting into those probably added a minute by itself.
I did make a poor attempt to spary on some sunscreen too, which took up some time but gave little benefit or sunprotection.

I guess practice T1.
T1 has always been a deficiency.
Bike
  • 2h 37m
  • 55.99 miles
  • 21.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Very solid bike. I was happy with the pace for this course.

Is it possible to eat too much on the bike? I think I did...
I needed one more water bottle for the third lap. The aid station bottle was only 3/4 full so my final 4 or 5 miles was on empty water bottles. I ended up grabbing a bike bottle of "100plus" on the way to T2. This did not help my stomach for the run, but I needed the hydration.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

T2 was better than T1, but this was not my best T2 ever. I'm not dissappointed wiht the T2 time, but I think I can shave some time off this in future 70.3 races

work faster...
Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 12.49 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

No nutrition was used on this run. I did 98% water with a couple cups of "100plus" and a "1/2 cup of coke". Other than that my body was loded up form the 1100 calories I took in on the bike.

I think some nutrition adjustments are in order to produce a better run. My legs were solid for this one. I didn't push too hard in the bike, but the stomach issues slowed me down in the first 1/2 of the run.

I'll give this run an "average" considering the heat...
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, Eating, Drinking...
Race massage was full and I didn't want to stand for an hour in line, so we went to the car I changed, drank, ate at the post race buffet. I think I stopped sweating about 90 minutes after I finished.
After collecting my bike and transition area, we (work buddy and I) went to chinatown for a post race massage...that was a good end to race day.
I finished the day with 3/4 of a pizza hut "meats galore" pizza and then fell asleep early.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At 1degree18minutes North Latitude the heat and weather was of course a limiting factor.
Nutrition mistakes (over eating) on the bike slowed the run.
Lack of swim training was cause for another less than enjoyable swim..

Event comments:

I will do this one again if I am around for it.
It's the largest race in Asia for a reason. Very well run, good course, and good activities.

Last updated: 2010-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:00 | 1900 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 60/100
Overall: 300/1400
Performance: Below average
First lap was 18:22...not sure what happened on the second lap. There was definitely more chop in the second lap and I slowed my swim and breast stroked a couple times to try and pee before exiting the water
Suit: Xterra Speed Suit
Course: 2 loop beach start with a 50+m beach run in between laps
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:37:00 | 55.99 miles | 21.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/100
Overall: 0/1400
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 3 loop all highway course. Headwind and Tailwind in both directions as the course had some turns that changed the wind direction. However, at three loops, the first two loops were very crowded and passing was treachorous at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:01:00 | 12.49 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/100
Overall: 0/1400
Performance: Good
1st lap: I ran the first 7k with brief pauses at the aid stations for water sponges etc. 2nd lap: two, two minute walk breaks to let my stomach settle. I really think I ate too much on the bike, and this damaged my run. 3rd lap: the final 8k, which was more than the final lap, I felt great, was running strong and stopped very briefly for water at aid stations, but came to a full stop at the sponge station to douse myself with ice water. If I could have run the whole race like the third lap I would have been in the 1:30 to 1:40 range for the run.
Course: Mostly flat, mix of sun and shade. It felt mostly unshaded. The aid stations had "air temperature" water and only two stations had iced sponges. Sponges at every station would have made it a faster race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-23 9:28 AM

North Carolina
Subject: Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore

2010-03-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2742448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: RE: Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore
Nice bike split! How did you like the green metal bridge on the run? I think the temp on the bridge was 120F! Cheers.

Edited by swiss tri 2010-03-23 8:35 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore Rss Feed