General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Runner (calling all runners) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-03-23 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
Subject: Beginner Runner (calling all runners)
I should start out by stating that I hate running.  I have to run for the Tri so I need to train.  I did my first day on a treadmill and did 2 miles in 30 minutes with varying inclines.  I ran/walked.  My heart rate was around 180 and even hit 190+ right after the run portions.  I got my HR using the treadmill, so who knows if it is right. I am 6'2'' and currently 228 lbs. I will be doing a sprint in June.

So the question is; What is the best way to improve my running? 
A. Intervals by HR or Distance. 
B. Running a specific amount of time. i.e. 30-40 minutes.
C.
 Running a specific distance. i.e. 3.5 miles to cover the 5k and a little more.

Please help!  I know if I can do it the best way I will have the best chance at doing by best!

thanks,

2010-03-23 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2742578

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Beginner Runner (calling all runners)
I started out by using one of the Couch to 5k programs available for free here.  It worked out very well and gives you a good progression based on mixing running and walking and slowly increasing the amount of running that you do so you don't hurt yourself.
2010-03-23 10:25 AM

User image

Runner
First of all, never say you "hate" running. That kind of thinking leads to negativity, which leads to poor training. If you don't like something, you won't want to do it.

That's step one in improving your running.

Next step, run. You get better at running by doing it often. So the next step is consistency. The more you make it a habit, the easier it gets.

Third step consists of figuring out how to run easy. "Easy" isn't very descriptive, I know, but it's basically running at an effort level that leaves you feeling like you could keep going at the end, and lets you train the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and so on. How you measure your effort level is entirely up to you. I like perceived exertion, others like pace, and others like heart rate. There's all kinds of discussion on those things so I won't cover them here.

Final notes:

There are all kinds of training programs out there for the 5K. I would suggest the C25K, or "Couch-to-5k" (you can search for it on Google). I have not used it, but I have heard nothing but great praise for the program. It would definitely be a good starting point.

Run/walk is an excellent method. I would look into Jeff Galloway, as he is a big proponent of it, and has training plans specifically for this method.

I would tend more towards training to a certain time for now. You can switch later, but I think you'll be better off going by time, especially if using a treadmill (calibration issues).
2010-03-23 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
The best way to improve is to run frequently and consistently at an easy pace. Your HR is high because your body hasn't adapted. This is very typical. Intervals are almost useless for you as a brand new runner, and may lead to injury. Running well is something that takes time for the body to build to. It can't be done by "cramming" in the manner people sometimes force information into their brains.

You would likely benefit by using the Couch to 5K program (C25K). I don't have the link, but do a search and you should be able to find it.
2010-03-23 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I have to admit I was in that category of hating the run until I discovered trail running.   It gets me out in nature, away from the cars and people.   I am able to clear my mind and breathe!   I pretty much adhere to the 10% rule where you only increase your mileage by 10% each week.   It is slow and sometimes agonizing in the low numbers but you will never get hurt!
2010-03-23 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2742626

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Scout7 - 2010-03-23 10:25 AM First of all, never say you "hate" running. That kind of thinking leads to negativity, which leads to poor training. If you don't like something, you won't want to do it. That's step one in improving your running. Next step, run. You get better at running by doing it often. So the next step is consistency. The more you make it a habit, the easier it gets. Third step consists of figuring out how to run easy. "Easy" isn't very descriptive, I know, but it's basically running at an effort level that leaves you feeling like you could keep going at the end, and lets you train the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and so on. How you measure your effort level is entirely up to you. I like perceived exertion, others like pace, and others like heart rate. There's all kinds of discussion on those things so I won't cover them here. Final notes: There are all kinds of training programs out there for the 5K. I would suggest the C25K, or "Couch-to-5k" (you can search for it on Google). I have not used it, but I have heard nothing but great praise for the program. It would definitely be a good starting point. Run/walk is an excellent method. I would look into Jeff Galloway, as he is a big proponent of it, and has training plans specifically for this method. I would tend more towards training to a certain time for now. You can switch later, but I think you'll be better off going by time, especially if using a treadmill (calibration issues).

With BadgerJen, above, and Scout's info, I will add to not overdo the training, be happy with each small improvement, and have fun with the training.  Enjoy what outdoors is providing to you - you can't get that same sight whilst swimming, can ya??
Make sure to have a good pair of running shoes to start out with, too, so you don't start getting injuries with old/worn-out shoes, or ill-fitted shoes.

2010-03-23 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
Scout, Thanks for the mental slap in the face.  I needed it!  I will have to check out to couch to 5k program. 
My biggest problem has always been shin splints, which some good running shoes may clear up.

thanks,
2010-03-23 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

Agree 100% with Scout's first piece of advice to never say you "hate" it.  It all starts there internally with you or any of us.   Gotta be positive.  (By the way - I agree with his other advice, too, but positive internal dialogue is number one).

Here are some other thoughts for you:

Run regularly 3-4 times a week.  Regular running is one of the keys to improvement.

Run easy and comfortably and don’t feel you need to add intervals right now.  Forget how fast you go. Just get out the door and stay out.

If you want to include speed work or tempo runs, though, then follow a beginner’s plan that includes it as part of the overall running program.

Remember to ease into your running program gradually.

Run for time, or run for distance – either works fine and use whichever one is easiest for you to track.

Assuming you are medically fit, don’t worry about your heart rate right now.  Training by HR is fine after you have a better understanding of it.  It’s not necessary, though, to run by HR.

I’ve noticed that people who don’t have a running background and are interested in starting can do themselves a favor by running with a friend.  Its more fun, keeps you engaged and the responsibility to the other person will get you out the door.

Enjoy the training.

2010-03-23 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
MineralMike - 2010-03-23 8:11 AM I should start out by stating that I hate running.  I have to run for the Tri so I need to train.  I did my first day on a treadmill and did 2 miles in 30 minutes with varying inclines.  I ran/walked.  My heart rate was around 180 and even hit 190+ right after the run portions.  I got my HR using the treadmill, so who knows if it is right. I am 6'2'' and currently 228 lbs. I will be doing a sprint in June.

So the question is; What is the best way to improve my running? 
A. Intervals by HR or Distance. 
B. Running a specific amount of time. i.e. 30-40 minutes.
C.
 Running a specific distance. i.e. 3.5 miles to cover the 5k and a little more.

Please help!  I know if I can do it the best way I will have the best chance at doing by best!

thanks,

I give you Scouts immortal advice:

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

For now, just put the time in. Don't worry so much about pace, just don't be out there killing yourself every workout.

Intervals, threshold, pickups, strides, etc. are all various types of speedwork, and you need more base before you start thinking about adding them in.

Just put in the time, if you're going to be doing a lot of treadmill stock up on DVD's, load the iPod, etc. Work on maintaining a consistent pace, consistent stride, and learn to take your own pulse. :p

John
2010-03-23 12:30 PM

User image

Melon Presser
?I do the vast majority of my run training (and I think this is especially important in the early days of building a running base) at a 'conversational' pace ... like I could hold a conversation. Sometimes I sing. I finish wanting more.

It's very easy to overdo it just a bit each time, and over time this can add up to injury ... as a beginner, it's definitely better to err on the side of easier than harder ... and most people err in the opposite direction, it seems.
2010-03-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2743051

Veteran
Wisconsin
TriAya - 2010-03-23 12:30 PM ?I do the vast majority of my run training (and I think this is especially important in the early days of building a running base) at a 'conversational' pace ... like I could hold a conversation.

For those of us running alone and don't feel like talking to ourselves, I've recently started a different way to test my exertion - I breath through my nose for about 20 seconds or so. If I can do that, I know my heart rate is in a good spot.

2010-03-23 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Couch to 5 k is the way to go. Not guaranteed to make you fast but guaranteed to get you to 5k.

I hated running for a long time. I was too heavy and I went slow and even when I went slow I had to slow down to walk. I did it primarily because I wanted to complete a couple races. I was not good at it and for the most part I did not enjoy it. I did not like the time commitment I did not like old guys and fat girls passing me. I did not get faster but I did get myself so I could run quite a distance, although slowly. I like biking, and I biked a lot and I thought if I biked a lot and ran a couple times a week that would be enough to get me in good enough running shape to get through I triathlon. For the most part it did work that way but the run was not fun. I remember that first sprint, it was brutal. I felt worse at the end of that sprint than I did at the end of my ironman a year later. It's funny for so many reasons.

Try to deal with your hatred. Why is it there? Is it because you are slow or it hurts. For the most part time and training can fix that. I think the c25k is 3 times a week, which is a good start, it will make you faster and if you take your time it won't hurt that much.

Good luck.

2010-03-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2742731

User image

Champion
Calgary
MineralMike - 2010-03-23 9:47 AM

Scout, Thanks for the mental slap in the face.  I needed it!  I will have to check out to couch to 5k program. 
My biggest problem has always been shin splints, which some good running shoes may clear up.

thanks,

Me too man. I was a big guy, still am by some reports. Run/walk will take care of the shin splints. C25K does take time and initially the progress seems slow, but that is because it is safe.
2010-03-23 1:37 PM

I started a 9 week C25K 4 weeks ago. I was 294lbs at the time.

I have followed it to the letter. I have NEVER walked during any of my running intervals.

I have NOT had a single injury to my shins etc.... the slight pain I had in my patellar tendon has gone away. I think it was just a strengthening thing.

Tomorrow morning starts week 5.

The course is kind of a misnomer in a way. Its really time based, it works on you running for 30 straight minutes. At my size and where I started from no where near a 9:30 pace it would need to compete the 5k in 30 mins. I have a 5k scheduled for the first weekend I finish the program. My goal is 36 mins or better. I will still be 260ish pounds.
2010-03-23 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Louisiana
Mike, I started out walking on August 3, 2009 (my birthday, 40 years old) weighing 328 lbs (about 260 now). I knew that if I would try to run, which I knew I could not, I would have shin splints, or cause some other injury.

The first day, I walked 2 miles, I was so out of shape that I almost threw up. The next day, I walked 2.5 miles and eventually built up over the first 3 months while losing weight to 14 or 15 miles WALKING. I did not run a step for about 3 months, then I slowly added running the corners of the track, then I switched to running the straights, and eventually the whole lap.

It was more of a mental hurdle to run the whole lap than it was to run 30 straight aways (within 15 laps) because I was not tired. Once I crossed the lap hurdle, then it was the 5 lap hurdle, then the 10. Eventually I got to where I would run nothing but 5K distance daily, but at a conversational pace (as I was singing music to myself from the ipod). I ran my first 5K on 1-2-2010 in 30:34, not fast but not last.

I feel that because I started out by walking and kept walking until some of the weight came off, I have been blessed not to have 1 shin splint. My suggestion is to walk until your legs are used to the motion, run slow (conversational pace), and add a little distance daily. I am in no way an expert, just my personal story. I ran track when I was younger and knew what shin splints felt like.
2010-03-23 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
Thanks everyone!  I have looked over the C25k program and from what I did last week I should be able to start in the middle somewhere.  I will be taking better notes today durring my run to get on a pattern. 

Also I just wanted to throw out another question about insoles.  I need a ton of arch support.  Anyone use good ones?

Thanks.

2010-03-23 3:17 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Everyone else has addressed training specifics.  I'll address the mental.  I too hated running.  In fact my first multisport race was bike/swim/bike because I didn't want to run (and thought I couldn't).  When I did finally start running it was a bit of a battle.  One of the things I did was buy an "I <3 running" tshirt.  Every time I wore it I would look in the mirror and at first I'd think "Nah, I don't."  then got to a point where I'd say "Well, maybe one day" and now I really do LOVE running.  I love how it makes me feel.  Powerful, successful, victorious, virtuous etc.  I bought that tshirt on Valentine's Day 2009.  It was the best Valentine's Day gift I've ever gotten.  I truly do <3 running!  You don't have to get a tshirt to implement the positive self talk but please, please, please try not to be so negative about running. 

Oh, another thought.  In coaching ski racing my little rippers (5-6 years old) know my number 1 rule is HAVE FUN. Ask any that I've coached over the last 5 years and they can tell you.  Really, that should be our rule as well.  If you're not having fun (over all, there will be painful moments of course) then why do it? 
2010-03-23 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Another vote for the couch to 5k program - I've seen it work wonders for people.  Also, you mentioned "intervals".  If you mean walk / run itervals, great.  Otherwise, forget about doing speed intervals / speedwork for a while.  It'll just get you hurt.
2010-03-23 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Scout will crucify me for saying this ;-) but I HATE the treadmill.  But at the same time I LOVE running.  Take everyone else's advice on the pacing, couch to 5k, etc. but I'll add... get outside.  Go enjoy the fresh air, the different scenery, etc.  Treadmills have their place in training, but personally I'd rather go run in below 0 degree weather before I get on a treadmill.  You'll be amazed at the things you didn't notice around you when you're out running as opposed to flying past in the car or even flying past on the bike.

Hopefully you'll really start to enjoy it, but the first few weeks/months are the roughest, but hopefully you'll start having more and more fun with it as you see yourself progressing with whatever your goals might be.
2010-03-23 5:05 PM

Akron, OH
I was a run hater for years and years.  Galloway's Run/Walk changed all that.  I was hitting HRs of 170-180 as well and that is not fun, basically running until you simply can't and then walking until you can again.  How many times can you be defeated in a single workout??  That's what it felt like to me.  Whether you use perceived exertion on HR, use something.   I think HR is a good one because for most of us it takes a while to get a feel for perceived exertion.  So, when you run, run slow or even slower than that.  Shorten up your stride and don't bounce, run easy.   If your HR goes above 150, you're going too fast.  Walk every other minute or run 2/ walk 1, etc per Galloway's recomendation.  I fought this run slow approach for months against the advice of my wife, a runner, thinking I knew better, but I continued to hate running.  Find a good ratio that works for you and then work on adding time, not speed.   Then consider running longer and walking less, like 3/1 or 4/1, but still keeping HR down.   This is the way to build cardiovascular and muscular endurance and burn fat.  It works and you'll see results, don't worry.  Once I took her advice, I started to see improvement and began to enjoy it.  Good luck.  I was where you are 15 months ago.  Ran a 5k 10 mos ago, Sprint Tri 9 mos ago, Oly 7 mos ago, Half Mary 6 mos ago.  You can do it!!
2010-03-23 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2743760

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
dscottmd - 2010-03-23 3:05 PM I was a run hater for years and years.  Galloway's Run/Walk changed all that.  I was hitting HRs of 170-180 as well and that is not fun, basically running until you simply can't and then walking until you can again.  How many times can you be defeated in a single workout??  That's what it felt like to me.  Whether you use perceived exertion on HR, use something.   I think HR is a good one because for most of us it takes a while to get a feel for perceived exertion.  So, when you run, run slow or even slower than that.  Shorten up your stride and don't bounce, run easy.   If your HR goes above 150, you're going too fast.  Walk every other minute or run 2/ walk 1, etc per Galloway's recomendation.  I fought this run slow approach for months against the advice of my wife, a runner, thinking I knew better, but I continued to hate running.  Find a good ratio that works for you and then work on adding time, not speed.   Then consider running longer and walking less, like 3/1 or 4/1, but still keeping HR down.   This is the way to build cardiovascular and muscular endurance and burn fat.  It works and you'll see results, don't worry.  Once I took her advice, I started to see improvement and began to enjoy it.  Good luck.  I was where you are 15 months ago.  Ran a 5k 10 mos ago, Sprint Tri 9 mos ago, Oly 7 mos ago, Half Mary 6 mos ago.  You can do it!!

X2 on the above.  And there's nothing wrong with starting with shorter runs and building up, for that matter.  I started with walks with short run breaks, progressed to closer to 50/50, then eventually moved into doing long walks some days but short runs on others.  Eventually I was running only, at least 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week.

Edited by tcovert 2010-03-23 5:34 PM

2010-03-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2743556

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
On the insoles issue - go to a good running shoe store. The staff (who are usually runners themselves) should be able to fit you in a good shoe just by looking at your feet and watching you walk.  I have extremely high arches and skinny ankles, so the perfect shoes are a must.  I didn't need insoles just the right type of shoe for my foot, one that stabilizes my ankles so they are not wobbly!
2010-03-24 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
Thank you to everyone that posted.  This information and encouragement was great!  I did hit the gym yesterday and ran on the treadmill.  It went as follows. 
5 minute warm up and streatch.
30 minute "run".  I did 3 minutes running at 6 mph then walk 2 minutes.  I kept it at 1.5-2.5 incline. I have read that doing so will help imitate running outside.  I know that it's not perfect, but it does work you a bit harder.  I felt really good. 
5 minute warm down. 

In total I did 40 minutes and 2.7 miles.  Not too bad in my opinion.  I did watch my HR and it wasn't higher than 175-180, which is about 10 lower than last week. 

Also I did a 1000 y swim right after with 200 warm up and then 7 100's on the 2 minute and then a hundred warm down.  I came in on the 100's around 1:15-1:25!

thanks for listening!
2010-03-24 12:23 PM

User image

New user
Nice job!

I am in awe of your crazy swimming times by the way.
2010-03-24 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran

Ummm... what do you mean by you run/walked.  How much were you running and how much were you walking?

And, your HR sounds way to high.   I'd get that checked out, and make sure the machine was accurate.

But if that was your actual HR, you should be taking things much easier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Runner (calling all runners) Rss Feed  

of 2