United States
Boca
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 10s
Overall Rank = 44/259
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual. Woke up in time for a cup of coffee, grabbed a quick shower to clear the fog, and forced down a granola bar on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Slapped on my shoes and did a quick loop around the neighborhood, wokred out to about .9 miles.
Swim
  • 17m 3s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race director announced that the swim was changed from last year. Instead of a triangle course, out and back just past the break, we would swim parrallel to the beach. When I initially looked at the new course my first thought was, "This is way longer than 750 meters!"
I had done ZERO swimming in the last 3 weeks and before that not much more at all this entire year. So I knew this was gonna be a sucky swim, boy was I right. I started off ok, but somehow I got caught behind a guy who was frogg kicking. Everytime I tried to get around him it seemed like the surf pushed me back into his path. I couldn't find any feet to draft off and my navigation skills seemed to have left me for good. I was all over the place. And that was just to the first turn. After getting beat to hell on the bouy I headed out for clear water, but my crappy luck was holding. Would you believe I got stuck behing TWO people breast stroking side by side? I couldn't get around them, so out of frustration I swam over the top of one. I was never so glad to see the swim exit in my life.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe actually train swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I have no idea how it happened, but my racebelt got broken between when I placed it in my helmet at setup and when I tried to put it on. I didn't realize it was broken at first, so I was confused when I clipped it around my waist and it fell to the ground. I tried again, same result. I looked at the clip and saw one of the tongs busted off, so I tied it around my waist. Must have cost me a good 20-25 seconds. Everything else went smooth.

Not use a busted racebelt.
Bike
  • 31m 18s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 21.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much drama on the bike. I was pretty happy considering that I hadn't been training much on the bike either, I beat last years time by a couple of minutes so all is well. I did lose about 20-30 seconds when the cops stopped me to let traffic thru at the light but no biggie.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Pretty smooth transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 3.77 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

After such a crappy swim, I was counting on making up alot of time on the run. I started picking people off steadily from the start. Since I was so far back on the swim, I always had someone to aim for. What is a little strange is I ran the exact same time as last year, down to the second.

Nothing, the run felt good.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. This is the most undertrained I have felt in a very long time.

Event comments:

For the most part, this is a good race. I'm not happy about the swim course change and the delayed start again. But I'll probably do it again next year.

Last updated: 2010-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:03 | 750 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 118/259
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: One and a half loops counter-clockwise around 4 bouys set up in a rectangle along the shore inside the break.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:18 | 11.3 miles | 21.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 58/259
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Same as last year.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:25 | 03.77 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 18/259
Performance: Good
Course: No change from last year, other than the mile markers they added.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-24 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: waterfront at puuloa

2010-03-26 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2744395

User image

Subject: RE: waterfront at puuloa
Solid race considering your training.

I thought the swim looked long...but it was my first OW race, so I had no baseline for comparison.

Nice run though...I have to put in a lot more miles before I can dream of being that fast.
2010-03-27 12:44 AM
in reply to: #2744395

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: waterfront at puuloa

Mikey, I find it ironic that you say this is the most untrained you've felt in a long time and yet you take 3rd in your AG! You still rock!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » waterfront at puuloa Rss Feed