General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nose plug Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-20 9:50 PM

Subject: nose plug
Hey! My sister was doing laps with me in the pool tonight (She is also in training) and she kept getting water in her nose almost every breath. Is there a trick to this or should she get a nose plug?

Also, I'm sure i could find the answer to this next one but i don't have much time to be on line cuz i'm chasing kids all day, so if anyone could answer this for me that would be awesome........ I swam 400 meters tonight in 15 minutes for my first swim. Is this considered slow? Where is that on a scale??? I know i have 9 weeks to improve but i just don't have a clue to what is fast and slow for a tri.

2005-06-20 9:56 PM
in reply to: #179357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: RE: nose plug

Kimberly -

When I first learned to swim last year I had to use a nose clip otherwise I inhaled so much water I'd nearly drown.  Once I got more comfortable in the water and learned how to breathe properly, I lost the nose clip and haven't used it since. 

Regarding your swim, 15 minutes for your first 400 meter swim is great.   When I first started, I couldn't swim across a 25 meter pool.   There's really not a scale in terms of swim times, and I've found it's best not to compare my progress to anyone else's times since everyone is at a different fitness and training level.  Just give it your all and enjoy yourself.  It sounds like you are off to a great start.

2005-06-20 9:59 PM
in reply to: #179361

I am having so much fun! I can't believe that i am training so hard and just absolutely loving it!! I love to run now, hated it 3 months ago. I had a blast swimming tonight, and getting on a bike for the first time since like middle school was such freedom for me!! I love every minute of this sport!! I am breathing, thinking, eating, and living tri every moment of my day. Yes... even when i'm changing a millions poopy diapers!! I feel like everything in my life is coming together and i am sooooo happy. Thank you for your encouragement. I can't wait for Aug. 20th...my first tri!!

~K~

Edited by kimberly 2005-06-20 10:00 PM
2005-06-20 10:17 PM
in reply to: #179364

User image

Veteran
San mateo
Glad you love it so much! So do I! I am learning how to swim now (not just splash in the water without going anywhere; I swim so badly right now that two people have stopped me the pool to give me pointers) but it is my favorite part of the training! So much so that I go to the gym primarily to swim... Keep swimming...cycling.....running..and HAVE A GREAT RACE!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nose plug Rss Feed