General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running store "shoe fit" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-26 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Running store "shoe fit"
I am going to try and hit some local running stores this weekend as I need some new shoes. I want to have them take a look at my gait to suggest if I need something other than a stability or Neutral shoe. Not sure what I usually wear but I just want to make sure I am getting something better fitting than what I have now. My question is how appropriate is it to go to one of these places, have them look at it all and "analyze" the way I run and then not buy shoes there, or at least not right away. Is that Kosher or rude? I have 3-4 different stores I will be near on Saturday in the area and if I got someone to look at each store I was thinking I might be able to get a consensus on what type of shoe I need. Would it be ok to get fit at a local road runner sports store and then buy from them online???

If it is any help I usually just get a pair of Asics from Big 5 and they have always worked well for me until they wore out. However last time I went they did not have any Asics left in my size so I had to get New Balance and they are killing my legs/running.

2010-03-26 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2751575

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Running store "shoe fit"
I would think that I would just be up front with the store. Don't go in and say you need to be fitted and then just walk out and go somewhere else.

I would just go in and tell them exactly what you are doing and see what they say. If you are nice and let them guide you as to what they will offer knowing you may not be purchasing a pair, you will be better off....

Just another note. These are not super duper fitting sessions. They usually just look basically at your gait and the way your foot contacts the ground, pronated etc and give you a shoe that fits that. It takes about 2 seconds so it's not like they have an hour invested in you if you don't buy a pair.
2010-03-26 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

When you were getting the Asics fom Big 5, did you know if they were neutral, stability, or motion control shoes? Did you know if the NB were the same? Could anyone at Big 5 tell you the specifics about the shoes? These kind of things are the difference between what is offered at Big 5 compared to a running shoe store. Even if you know what kind of shoe you need, a place like Big 5 may not be able to tell you anything specific about a particular shoe other than it's a "running" shoe.

Why would you go to Road Runner Sports and then order the shoes from them online? Why not just get the shoes at the store?

IMO, yes it is rude to go into the LRS and have them take time to provide a gait analysis and try on multiple pairs of shoes - then not buy anything from them. However, once you know the kind of shoe you need and bought it from the LRS the first time, there is no reason you can't buy the same shoe elsewhere.

2010-03-26 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
bel83 -  Would it be ok to get fit at a local road runner sports store and then buy from them online???

If you go to a couple of different stores to get a variety of opinions, and then buy from one of them, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

But to get fitted by the local shops, and then buy online is beyond tacky, I think it harms all of us.

These shops provide a very, very valuable service.  If we all have them fit us, and buy online, these shops will go out of business and disappear. 

Spend the extra $20 and buy locally.
2010-03-26 7:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
i know the initial time I got fitted/analyzed at the local Fleet Feet they spent a solid hour with me, I tried on 5 different pairs of shoes, ran in all I tried on along with combining them (brand x on one foot brand y on another)..
although I frequent a local tri store that sells running shoes, i almost always go back to the Fleet Feet I bought from as I know I'll be treated excellent and get good advice from actual runners and not just store employees..

so I agree with the others on the buying local.
2010-03-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2751670

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-03-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2751734

Master
Canandaigua
PennState - 2010-03-26 8:36 PM
mrcurtain - 2010-03-26 7:37 PM
bel83 -  Would it be ok to get fit at a local road runner sports store and then buy from them online???

If you go to a couple of different stores to get a variety of opinions, and then buy from one of them, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

But to get fitted by the local shops, and then buy online is beyond tacky, I think it harms all of us.

These shops provide a very, very valuable service.  If we all have them fit us, and buy online, these shops will go out of business and disappear. 

x2.

4x
2010-03-26 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2751775

Extreme Veteran
dexter - 2010-03-26 6:04 PM

x2.

4x

Oh I love to buy local, believe me. And the difference in price is usually not that big. I was just wondering as Road Runner sports has online and in person sales. I do not know if they are corporate or franchise so I have no idea what sort of business relationship the physical store has to the online one.

I may hit up the local, new fleet feet (literally just opened this week, was called the Seattle Running Company on the 23rd and is now called Fleet Feet.) since it sounds like at least one person had a very good experience with one. I never did know exactly what type of shoe I got as far as stability, neutral etc...when buying before but I always bought the same style/model of shoe or as close as I could get in the Asics and never had issues, until I could not find any anymore. Thanks for the advice all!
2010-03-26 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2751852

Expert
Boise
bel83 - 2010-03-26 9:12 PM
dexter - 2010-03-26 6:04 PM

x2.

4x

Oh I love to buy local, believe me. And the difference in price is usually not that big. I was just wondering as Road Runner sports has online and in person sales. I do not know if they are corporate or franchise so I have no idea what sort of business relationship the physical store has to the online one.

I may hit up the local, new fleet feet (literally just opened this week, was called the Seattle Running Company on the 23rd and is now called Fleet Feet.) since it sounds like at least one person had a very good experience with one. I never did know exactly what type of shoe I got as far as stability, neutral etc...when buying before but I always bought the same style/model of shoe or as close as I could get in the Asics and never had issues, until I could not find any anymore. Thanks for the advice all!

I've had a couple of VERY iffy experiences with fleet feet in Chicago and so has my girlfriend. But I also know some people love them. It's the same chain, they've just gone national.

Edited by crazyquick23 2010-03-26 9:54 PM
2010-03-26 11:50 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I have great experiences as does everyone I talk to with the local fleet feet here in Pittsburgh. We also have an idependent store called Elite Runners & Walkers ( I think it's independent).

The thought that comes to mind is, "A man with two watches never knows the correct time".

Going to four stores for opinions seems like a lot of effort to me. I think you'll get a sense if the person who is workign with you feels comfortable with what they are seeing, saying and recommending.

Let them know up front what your thoughts are, and if they have provided you good service, buy from them. Find out also if they have a return policy (like if you only wear the shoes indoors for a few days, or on a treadmill maybe). If so, it's a no lose situation for you.
2010-03-27 11:05 AM

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
If you are anywhere near Seattle, I strongly enocurage you to go to Super Jock and Jill at Greenlake. The staff is outstanding and they've fitted me for shoes for the past couple of years. They let you try on many pairs and have you run outside in them to see what feels best. They also watch you run and check gait issues.   I was amazed at the difference when I found the "right" pair. 

2010-03-27 11:42 AM

Expert
I used to buy my shoes online until they caused an injury due to bad fit.  the first time I went into my local running store to get fitted I kind of had the same idea thinking that the markup was way more than online.  Once I went in and found the staff very knowledgable and found a great shoe I had no problem paying an extra $15 and have proceded to buy from that same store for every shoe.

My recommendation is to buy from the local shoe store.
2010-03-27 12:41 PM

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
bel83 - 2010-03-26 5:54 PM I am going to try and hit some local running stores this weekend as I need some new shoes. I want to have them take a look at my gait to suggest if I need something other than a stability or Neutral shoe. Not sure what I usually wear but I just want to make sure I am getting something better fitting than what I have now. My question is how appropriate is it to go to one of these places, have them look at it all and "analyze" the way I run and then not buy shoes there, or at least not right away. Is that Kosher or rude? I have 3-4 different stores I will be near on Saturday in the area and if I got someone to look at each store I was thinking I might be able to get a consensus on what type of shoe I need. Would it be ok to get fit at a local road runner sports store and then buy from them online???

If it is any help I usually just get a pair of Asics from Big 5 and they have always worked well for me until they wore out. However last time I went they did not have any Asics left in my size so I had to get New Balance and they are killing my legs/running.

I love Road Runner sports. They do a very good job with looking at your running form. They have this gel pad to walk on which looks at your arch type. Then they video you walking on a treadmill to measure your pronation.
I believe they have a relationship with the online retailer. If the store doesn't have my size shoe they order it online and have it shipped to the store for free.
2010-03-27 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2752359

Expert
Boise
SCamp07 - 2010-03-27 12:41 PM
bel83 - 2010-03-26 5:54 PM I am going to try and hit some local running stores this weekend as I need some new shoes. I want to have them take a look at my gait to suggest if I need something other than a stability or Neutral shoe. Not sure what I usually wear but I just want to make sure I am getting something better fitting than what I have now. My question is how appropriate is it to go to one of these places, have them look at it all and "analyze" the way I run and then not buy shoes there, or at least not right away. Is that Kosher or rude? I have 3-4 different stores I will be near on Saturday in the area and if I got someone to look at each store I was thinking I might be able to get a consensus on what type of shoe I need. Would it be ok to get fit at a local road runner sports store and then buy from them online???

I love Road Runner sports. They do a very good job with looking at your running form. They have this gel pad to walk on which looks at your arch type. Then they video you walking on a treadmill to measure your pronation.
I believe they have a relationship with the online retailer. If the store doesn't have my size shoe they order it online and have it shipped to the store for free.

The problem with doing all this with you walking is that the way you move is different running vs. walking. Running vs. walking is not the same activity from a how your body moves point of view.
2010-03-27 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2752526

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
crazyquick23 - 2010-03-27 4:23 PM

The problem with doing all this with you walking is that the way you move is different running vs. walking. Running vs. walking is not the same activity from a how your body moves point of view.

Your gait will be different when running but your arch and pronation will be the same walking or running.

The difference is the walking tests will determine whether you need neutral vs. stability shoes.

Running style will determine heel strike vs. forefoot strike, stride length, etc.
2010-03-27 5:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
My LRS offers a 20% discount to members of the local tri club and running club, so the price comes out to be the same as online (or close to it.) And they spend a LOT of time with new runners to get the right fit (video of running on treadie, the arch analysis thingie, talking about your current fitness level, your goals, etc.) I think the first time I went there it took over an hour. Now, it's a lot faster because I just call up to make certain they have mine in stock, and I go there, chit chat for a bit, do a quick test run in the new shoes (just to make certain there are no odd manufacturing issues) and I'm done.

Oh, and I love my LRS...  I did a series of races when I was just starting out, the employees volunteered at the races to make certain people didn't get lost on the trails and when any of them saw me, they cheered for me! That was truly awesome!

2010-03-27 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2752611

Expert
Boise
SCamp07 - 2010-03-27 4:37 PM

Your gait will be different when running but your arch and pronation will be the same walking or running.

The difference is the walking tests will determine whether you need neutral vs. stability shoes.

Running style will determine heel strike vs. forefoot strike, stride length, etc.

The forces and the way you move are very different if you look at running vs. walking. You have a double support phase in walking where both your feet are on the ground and when you are walking you tend to land more on your heel in comparison to when you're running. The kinematics of the movements are different. The forces are much higher when you're running so you may have more pronation with running when compared to walking since the muscles that support your arch have to work as harder to support the foot. Another factor is that you advance your tibia further with running than with walking and if you have tight calves you will increase the amount of pronation that you have to compensate for the limited dorsiflexion due to the tight calves.

I personally as a PT would never draw strong conclusions about how someone runs from how they walk.

Edited by crazyquick23 2010-03-27 6:43 PM
2010-03-27 7:10 PM

Lafayette, CO
I love, love, love my local run shop.  They spent a LONG time working with me and giving me options during the fitting and I could tell they were really thinking about my style of running, abilities and body type.  They have a loyalty program so once I spend $250 I get a credit of $25.  Doesn't take long to get there.  Oh, and they have professional run coaching and group workouts available (owned by Alan and Shayne Culpepper) so I've now joined that and for each season's kick off night they give a good discount on shoes and apparel.  Become a loyal customer of theirs and they support you in so many ways.  They also sponsor a lot of local races and put one on themselves and offer other clinics and services.  Being a friend of my LRS is like having a teammate in the back corner ready and waiting to help.  I highly recommend taking time to find a shop that you like then sticking with them. 
2010-03-27 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2752798

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
COSkiGirl - 2010-03-27 7:10 PM I love, love, love my local run shop.  They spent a LONG time working with me and giving me options during the fitting and I could tell they were really thinking about my style of running, abilities and body type.  They have a loyalty program so once I spend $250 I get a credit of $25.  Doesn't take long to get there.  Oh, and they have professional run coaching and group workouts available (owned by Alan and Shayne Culpepper) so I've now joined that and for each season's kick off night they give a good discount on shoes and apparel.  Become a loyal customer of theirs and they support you in so many ways.  They also sponsor a lot of local races and put one on themselves and offer other clinics and services.  Being a friend of my LRS is like having a teammate in the back corner ready and waiting to help.  I highly recommend taking time to find a shop that you like then sticking with them. 

I have a similar LRS here and it is so worth it. Plus, when I want new shoes, I get them that day without having to pay shipping and wait, wait, wait...
2010-03-27 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2752767

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
crazyquick23 - 2010-03-27 7:42 PM

The forces and the way you move are very different if you look at running vs. walking. You have a double support phase in walking where both your feet are on the ground and when you are walking you tend to land more on your heel in comparison to when you're running. The kinematics of the movements are different. The forces are much higher when you're running so you may have more pronation with running when compared to walking since the muscles that support your arch have to work as harder to support the foot. Another factor is that you advance your tibia further with running than with walking and if you have tight calves you will increase the amount of pronation that you have to compensate for the limited dorsiflexion due to the tight calves.

I personally as a PT would never draw strong conclusions about how someone runs from how they walk.

Thanks for the explanation. Gives me a lot more to consider when buying shoes. I'm not sure I'm as big of fan of RRS now.
2010-03-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2752891

Expert
Boise
SCamp07 - 2010-03-27 8:36 PM
crazyquick23 - 2010-03-27 7:42 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Gives me a lot more to consider when buying shoes. I'm not sure I'm as big of fan of RRS now.

Hey no problem sorry to sound preachy it just really gets under my skin when people pay good money for things then don't get their monies worth.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running store "shoe fit" Rss Feed