General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Dave Reed Spring Classic 5 K Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 Dave Reed Spring Classic 5 K Road Race - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Vancouver Falcons Athletics Club
8C / 46F
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 15s
Overall Rank = 90/216
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Showered, drank a bit of Gatorade, got dressed (shorts and tank top) and headed out. Decided not to wear HR monitor or cap, also left the beloved Ipod at home. Got to race about 45 mins early and registered. Sat in truck until race start and got in line up about 1 min prior to start time. Noticed that I forgot to take off my cap which I had planned to do :-(
Event warmup:

Warmup shwarmup!
Run
  • 21m 15s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 15s  min/km
Comments:

Started running slower than I normally do off the start line. No problems climbing small incline near the beginning of the race but form felt awkward on the descent. Normal, easy pace through first 2 kms and feeling good through 3 km mark. Concentrated on stride after 3 k mark as I knew I was doing well and did not want to slow down as I usually do around that distance. Kept knees high and had good and strong pushes off my toes each stride. Felt the beginnings of fatigue around the 3.5 km mark but tried to push through it as I knew I would have a good time if I continued at that pace. Let up just a little but powered on through the 4 k mark and knew there was only one km left to go. Tried to keep a good strong pace but really had no Simon Whitfield kick left in me for the finish line, oh well... Crossed the line and, true to form, forgot to stop my Garmin, blah!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Pretty good race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked past the finish area and headed for the goodies at the food tables.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual, training! Need to work on hill work and start doing more training runs as shins allow.

Event comments:

Good race for me with a PR time of 21:05 (Garmin time). Wish timing chips were used but this is still a smallish race so no biggie. Must say that the food and drinks after the race were totally top notch! Kudos to the volunteers and cooks for that spread!

Last updated: 2010-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:15 | 05 kms | 04m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 90/216
Performance: Good
Did not wear HR monitor for this race.
Course: Single loop along Stanley Park Seawall and small section through park. Single minor incline near beginning of the race but otherwise flat course. Start and finish lines located on Seawall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-27 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: 2010 Dave Reed Spring Classic 5 K Road Race

2010-03-28 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2752690

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: 2010 Dave Reed Spring Classic 5 K Road Race
Great job on the PR !!
20 minutes is within sight!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Dave Reed Spring Classic 5 K Road Race Rss Feed