United States
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up a friend of mine at 7am, drove to Hampton, bus to Kittery at 9, lots of waiting until the race start.
Event warmup:

None...took in fluids, ate some granola bars and rested...no stretching, it was a long run so I just warmed up on the course.
Run
  • 2h 54m 38s
  • 20 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I was concerned with some numbness issues I had experienced over the last month over long runs so I took it slow and steady and concentrated on seeing if it came back. My right leg went a bit numb a few times but after retying my shoes, a bit looser, it went away. Not sure if this is the 'cure' for the issue, I'm still going to the doctor on Tuesday to be sure, but it certainly made me feel good.

The first five miles flew by, and before I knew it I was through ten. I didn't push it at all through that point and noticed that without picking it up or an increased HR I got the pace down to 8:30's. Slight reverse split in total, which I was happy with. My knee was hurting a little bit but I wasn't gonna stop because of a little knee discomfort. Most of this run was done with very little effort, the miles just rolled by and before I knew it I was on the final stretch.

One thing I was real, real happy with: from my 12 until the finish I wasn't passed a single time. Part of that was taking it out pretty slow--8:45-8:55's--but doing 8:30's the rest of the way felt real good.
What would you do differently?:

Had I been completely health--knee not barking, the numbness issue--I'd have pushed it a bit more throughout, tried to go 8:20's the whole way, but other than that I think I ran a good race.
Post race
Warm down:

I was waiting for my friend to finish so I had a good, long stretch. Some water, more granola bars and the long drive home. Felt pretty good post-race, outside of the knee I felt real good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My injured knee and just not being a good runner.

Event comments:

Good race, considering the fee it was very well run. Only 6 water stations but it's a long run without a ton of money to support it so all things considered I think they put on a great race.

Last updated: 2010-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
02:54:38 | 20 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Winding, flat course from Maine down to Hampton, NH, mostly along the ocean. Not much to speak of, it was a very simply, monotonous route until about 18 miles when we took a right turn onto the ocean boulevard in Hampton and hit a brick wall of wind. The last 2+ miles were straight into this strong, strong wind...tough way to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes