Canada
Around the Bay Road Race
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 9s
Overall Rank = 2003/5698
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 62/315
Pre-race routine:

Nothing much. We had a 40 minute drive ahead of us. I was dreading the race. This one really hurt last year and the memories kept flashing back. I ate some breakfast and we headed out. We got on the highway and there was accident taking up 2 lanes and it was a bit worriesome. I was just joking when I said i was looking forward to post race lunch. I did want to run. Luckily the traffic back up was mild.
Event warmup:

None. There's a bit of a walk with half of the racers out to the start line. I was just willing the rain to stay away.
Run
  • 2h 43m 3s
  • 30 kms
  • 05m 26s  min/km
Comments:

My running buddy and I stuck together and managed to set a strong pace that was faster than planned but we both felt good. The race was really crowded this year but the first half was so much better than last year since it was dry so people weren't dodging puddles. We comfortably cruised past 10k around 54 minutes and were happy to see so many more spectators out this year! We were happy to see 'Tin Pan Alley' and people putting out extra orange slices, bananas and water. Spectator support was great!!

I was nervous about hitting the hills on Northshore Blvd. This is where I felt really trashed last year but my quads did not feel wrecked as we started and they did not become wrecked on the hills.

We kept clicking off the k's somewhere around 5:20 which was great. Finally we were getting into the stretch before the big hill and I was starting to feel tired. Though I was energized by the guy playing AC/DC and awesome music! I had to slow way down on the hill because I didn't want any barf scares. Slowed way down but ran up the whole thing. Pace slowed a bit at the top but with just over 3k left to go I was totally feeling a kick to get to the end! There's some nice slight downhill too. It started spitting rain with about 2.5 k left but it was light. We saw someone down getting medical attention with about 1.5k to go! I hope that person was okay! I was tired but not wrecked for that last k and zoomed into the arena for the finish with a gun time faster than last year's chip time!

I am ecstatic that it didn't feel like a death march and I felt strong through the whole thing! :D
What would you do differently?:

I would have dressed lighter. I was warm and would have been happy in capris and just a long sleeve instead of tights long sleeve + vest. I thought it might be windier. Oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. They are really well organized so i followed the end corral for water, medals and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed right where I expected to - maybe even better!

Last updated: 2009-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:43:03 | 30 kms | 05m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 0/315
Overall: 0/5698
Performance: Good
Course: A big loop. Very flat, not scenic first half. Lots of great spectators. After 18k the run is through a pretty affluent neighbourhood with a few kms of rolling hills. things flatten out for a couple of k before culminating in the 'big hill' just before km 26. Ouch. Downhill to flat for the rest and finishes in a big arena which is pretty cool!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-29 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Around the Bay 30k

2010-03-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2754827

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Subject: RE: Around the Bay 30k
Congrats Jen.  I'm planning to do the 30k next year.

This is my first year doing this stuff so I'm starting off slow.  I'm also doing the 10k in April.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Around the Bay 30k Rss Feed