General Discussion Race Reports! » Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 46s
Overall Rank = 405/1838
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/82
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00am, bagel, banana, OJ and cup of coffee. Final hydration with Nuun caps in water (32-oz over 2 hrs). Parked in G10, between Neyland Stadioum and Thompson-Boling (plenty of parting and convenient to race finish & walked to the race start area. Had a little light rain during the drive in and just before the race, but it stopped for the 1/2-marathon.
Event warmup:

Did a little stretching, but felt I was in a good place with hydration, nutrition and training.
Run
  • 1h 57m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got to the race, I ran into three friends that were running their 1st full marathon, so I ran with them for much of the way. This was slower than I would have run other wise. We ran with the 4:00 marathon pacer, who held a very steady pace. If you haven't run with a pacer, I recommend it. My plan was to run the hills at 9:30 pace (depending on grade), run flats at 8:00 pace, and downhills at comfortable, but controlled pace. I ended up running the first 10.5 miles at a 9:00 pace; helped my friends prepare for the 2nd 1/2, and made sure they were hydrated and fueled. At about the 11 mile mark, they were okay and I left them to finish the race strong. I finished the last 2-miles at a 8:00 pace and with a lot left in the tank. That's okay; I helped my friends achieve a significant milestone and I'll run this again next year as a pre tri season event.
What would you do differently?:

Hydration, nutrition and 8-wk run-focused plan worked well for me; one tempo, one hill and one long run a week with an occasional additional run thrown in. Given the choice of helping to get these folks to their goal and running a faster race, I help them again; there is always another race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and light stretching - went to Thompson-Boling for the Post Race Party. Ate part of a bagel, half a bananna and some pretzels. Watched the finish line on the screens in the arena.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I ran this to see where my running base was at coming in to Tri season and am satisfied that I would follow this same winter training regimen. I'll do this race next year and verify my running base again. Good hydration, good nutrition and good running training.

Event comments:

The venue(s) and course were good with a few disorganized details (nothing major). Unique finisher medal and after race party at Thompson-Boling were nice touches.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:46 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/82
Overall: 405/1838
Performance: Average
Course: Nice course with a combination of main and back streets, and greenway running. Hills were nothing significant, though I had heard other wise, but I had done a lot of hill work to prepare, so I was ready. Much of the course runs along Lake Louden (TN River) and is a nice run. On the Sequoyah Hills part (about 3 miles) there is a crushed gravel running path. The finish is at the 50-yard line of Neyland Stadium (Go Vols) and really makes for a fun finish for spectators.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-29 10:31 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon Rss Feed