Gemini Adventures
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Unfortunately the entire day started out on a bad note. I wake up and realize it's 6:45am, packet pickup was supposed to be by 6:30, pre-race meeting at 6:45 and race start at 7am. Luckily I'm in my tent 50ft from the race start, I throw on some sweats, a shirt, and a winter jacket (it was still only 35 degrees out) and run to the packet pickup. Luckily there was a team about to get all their race number for their relay and they let me cut in front of them since I was a solo runner. I grab my number, get back over to the tent and throw on tights, shorts, shirt, gloves, hat, my Garmin and grab a bottle full of Heed that my crew was nice enough to prepare while I was franticly getting dressed. I was in such a rush I managed to moon my crew as I dropped my pants where I stood and threw on the tights. I attach the race number to the MyAthlete race belt so I will also be broadcasting my location to their web site for people to track me. I got lucky and they were running a little behind. All of that probably took 10 minutes, I get to the starting line and they do the pre-race stuff... all in all, I'm "running" within 20-25minutes of waking up... NOT the way to start a race... especially one where nutrition is vital and I typically don't eat until I'm up for 2 hours. I guess it set the stage for how my day would go.
Event warmup:

Flashed my crew with my white @$$.
Run
  • 14h 00m
  • 48.33 miles
  • 17m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned, 15 minutes to gear up to run was started the day off, but none-the-less I made due with what I could, grabbed a bottle of Heed and a clif bar and started out. I set myself up in the back of the group since I figured there would be relay runners going full out for the first laps, something I knew I definitely didn't want to get caught up in. It was amusing that I was so used to people instantly starting to run when the race started, but here, everyone simply started walking, then building into a slow jog and the group very very slowly started to spread out. Completely different than any other race I've done. Plus, people are talking to each other the entire time.

I quickly found two guys that had done ultras before who I met the night prior while setting up camp. I decided to stick behind them and do their pace. That single decision was probably the best thing I could have done and it taught me more in the first 3 miles than I could image. I would have been one of those stupid first-timers who would have attempted to jog the entire thing. As soon as we hit the first uphill, BOOM, they started walking... and so did I. Garmin was showing a 17minute/mile, so it was still a good pace for walking, but I would have been stupid otherwise and tried to maintain a 13-14minute jog pace instead. That early realization that walking was more than just OK in a race like this saved me.

I stuck with those two guys for the entire first lap, mimicking everything I could, when to walk, when to jog, etc. Plus it really helped to have good conversation to take your mind off the fact you've just started something that isn't going to end anytime soon. Within the first mile I had the true realization that "Even if you run fast, you're not going to be done any sooner than if you go slow... it's 24 hours... it's not like you hit mile marker X and know you only have to go .2 miles to be done"

At the end of the first lap my crew was there cheering me on, handed me another bottle of HEED and asked what I wanted next lap. I immediately turned around and started back out for another lap. Again, ended up with those other guys as they caught back up to me (I guess I didn't spend as much time as them before heading back out). By mile 10 my knees were already feeling the pounding of that brutal sandstone... I thought... wow, even at the end of the Sedona Marathon my knees didn't feel like they do already. I stuck with those guys again the second lap, one guy dropped back behind to pee and I finished out the lap with the other guy. Unfortunately having just woke up, my digestive system wasn't really functioning well during those first two laps. I tried forcing myself to drink my 8oz of HEED on each lap, and managed 1/4 of that clif bar by mile 10. Heed wasn't sitting well with me, whether that was from not being awake yet or not having food before hand I'm not sure. Towards the end of lap 2 I felt like I was going to throw up already. I know I say "Throw up or Die", but it was a little too early for either of those to happen.

So I switched over to Gatorade for lap 3, ditched the clif bar and grabbed some clif bloks and a clif shot to take with me. It was now around 9am and the weather was warming up, so I ripped off my black shirt and cold weather hat and put a white shirt and normal running cap on. The gloves came off and I had remembered I hadn't had time to put my calf compression sleeves on, so I put those on as well before starting out on lap 3.

I took long enough on lap 3 that those two guys were out in front of me, which was fine, but now I was alone. I kept the same tactics those guys had shown me, walk the uphill, jog the downhill and flats. The gatorade was going down well and I was finishing off the clif blok packet before the end of the lap. 15+ miles down and I now realized why people say "There are good hours and bad hours". Lap 3 and 4 turned out to be "good hours", laps 1 and 2 were definitely "bad hours".

Unfortunately those first 10 miles had put me into a hydration and nutritional deficit I was trying to come out of for the rest of the day. 8oz of fluid per 5.37miles was not enough to overcome that. The race finally got their unmanned aid station set up after I was done with lap 4. Their aid station was 2 5gallon water jugs, a bag of hammer gels, and two camp chairs in the middle of a horrible long downhill section of sandstone. My crew had cooked up some eggs and sausage for me, so I stopped and aid what I could of that after lap 4. I realize in hind sight that I should have spent more time and ate more of it. But I did use the port-a-potty, but unfortunately not to pee.

By now I've done 20+ miles and me knees are starting to bug me again. Those downhills on uneven terrain that's as hard as concrete was kicking my @$$. I remember thinking around this point... 20 miles... only 2 more sets of those for my goal of 60. I started having to put more water into my 8oz bottle at that aid station when I still had 2oz of gatorade or heed left. So I started being able to get 14oz of liquid each lap. Laps 5 and 6 were about as bad as lap 2, but at least I was able to eat and drink while moving now.

I pushed on, getting slower with each lap, by lap 7 I was now walking most of the downhills as well, but could still push on during the mile or two of flat that was there. I'd look over my buffet of nutrition after each lap, sometimes grabbing some doritos (wow, those tasted AWESOME 37miles into the race). I ate some ritz crackers... was eating 1/4th a banana at each stop... I realize now I needed to eat a LOT more though. I thought I was eating a lot, but no where close to what I should have been.

By lap 8 I was now having to walk the uphills, downhills and anything with sand. Leaving me walking about 5 miles of the 5.37.

After lap 8 (42.96miles) I didn't think I had much left in me. I stopped for an hour, cooked up a cheeseburger on the grill, sat down and tried to drink more and figured maybe an hour break will help me get some energy back. I started back out and was feeling good for the first mile. That burger really hit the spot. But then the sandstone came again and although I had the energy, my knees just couldn't take the pounding anymore. I was having to turn sideways slightly to go downhill, each step felt like it could be the last. At one point I realized if I stepped forward instead of to the side, I would have slid down a 5 foot embankment off the trail. I didn't even know that thing was there until I was about to step off the side. Talk about being mentally out of it. I realized it was around 11 hours into it and I was avoiding caffeine thinking I'd need it for after midnight. But I hit that unmanned aid station and was out of Heed in my bottle, so I got some water and put a Hammer gel in it that had caffeine... this lap took an hour and 55minutes to do.

I sat down at the end of that lap and talked with my crew. Was I really almost done at 43miles?! Pacers weren't allowed until 8pm, it was 6pm now. By the time I got back up and started off on lap 9 it was 7pm, the 12 hour guys were finished now. I was jealous. But I signed up for 24, so I had to do at least one more, no matter how I felt... I had to get back out there.

Lap 9 ended up being my last lap. I was posting 28minute miles on the uphills, and 23minute miles on the downhills. Every step was painful to the knees. Having to side step downhill most of the time, I felt like an out of shape 80 year old with bad knees who needed a walker to get through Wal-mart. I hit one flat section and thought... if this is going to be my last I need to see what I have left... I saw the Garmin show a 11:30mile pace, but I only managed to maintain that for around 100yards. I was having to throw my hips side to side just to make my legs move and try to minimize the impact to the knees. I figured not lifting my legs much would lessen the impact of coming down on them, so it was more like a guy trying to run without bending his knees than someone actually running. I finally had to pee! It had been 13 hours since I woke up and I just now had to pee?! That is not a good sign... and it was neon... like 1980s neon yellow.

2 hours after I started lap 9, I came stumbling back into the checkpoint/camp. It was after 9pm now, my headlamp was on for the last hour+. I had to decide... keep pushing (ie, keep walking up and down that sandstone that has caused all this) or prevent injury and make sure I don't ruin my tri season and training on an event where I simply wanted to see just how far I could go?

14 hours into it, I decided the rest of my season was more important and that with every lap I'd try after that would exponentially increase the risk of seriously injuring my knees. I threw in the towel... didn't know whether I was hot or cold, but sat near the fire and had a beer. I went over to the event tent and told them I was dropping out so they didn't think I died on the course and never returned.

I think I made the right decision... 48.33 miles in one day. My biggest weekly volume until that point had only been 40.63miles. I had managed to run more than my entire weekly volume in 14 hours instead of 7 days. I understand now why ultra runners post up 100+miles/week consistently.

I went hiking the following day in Arches National Park with my friends. I was in less pain, but still moving kind of slow. A 4 mile out and back hike past Landscape Arch out to Double O Arch reinforced that I had nothing left last night. If I struggled to do those 4 miles after having slept for 10 hours, I didn't have much left to give to the race, if anything.

Will I go back?... When asked on Sunday I responded with "maybe for the 12 hour", but now on Monday... I'm thinking I have a vendetta against that course and the fact that I only lasted 14 hours... so maybe I'll go for the 24 again, but this time I'll be ready.
What would you do differently?:

Wake up more than 15 minutes before the start. Bring larger bottles of water when running. Force myself to eat more on the uphills. Keep my running pace slower when I do run. Figure out a way to land softer when running downhill and avoid the shock to the knees.
Post race
Warm down:

sat down, because walking was even hard at that point. Grabbed a beer because I deserved it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was my first ultra, I had no idea what I was going to be capable of. I woke up late, I couldn't eat and drinking upset me for the first 10 miles and put me into too much of a deficit. My knees were not ready for all the heel striking I was doing (most of my runs are mid/forefoot striking).

Event comments:

The tech t-shirt rocks! The single aid station was put out there after most people had done at least 2 laps. The unmanned aid station consisted of 2 5gallon water jugs, a big ziplock bag of Hammer gels and two camping chairs. They were really good about replacing the water and gels though. The course was marked with ribbons and at night they put out glow sticks which worked well. They were pretty good about sending their own guys out to run and replace/add ribbons/glow sticks. Overall I think it's a good event, but it's also my first ultra, but it makes for a good first since logistics are easy (hopefully you can do 5.37miles without needing their aid station since you have your own at the starting line each time).

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
14:00:00 | 48.33 miles | 17m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The race goes for 24 hours on a 5.37 mile loop. Each loop you take you switch direction in a washing machine style so it isn't so monotonous. No matter what though, I don't think this course could have been monotonous. Describing the clockwise route which is what we ran first, the course starts off with a run slightly downhill for about 1/4mile on a typical dirt access road you'd find in Moab. Around the 1/2 mile mark it turns into a narrower track that starts out wide enough for 3 people, but quickly goes to 1-2 person wide. But it also starts to climb at that point. You're still on some dirt as the climb starts, That lasts about 1/2mile and then you reach a flatter section for the next 1/4 mile and gets wide enough for 2-3 people. You hit a stream crossing, so you jump across it to avoid wet shoes obviously. Soon after the REAL climb starts. It instantly goes steep, but it's loose sand. After 50meters of sand it hits the slickrock/sandstone that Moab is famous for, and although it's less steep than the sandy section, this climb lasts for nearly 1.5 miles. Out of the 460ft of climbing that gets done, this sandstone section makes up over 400ft of it in that 1.5miles (a sustained 5%+ grade). You then get the privilege of running down that 400ft in the next mile (~7.5% grade). For those that don't know, sandstone is like the evil mixture of the hardest parts of road running mixed with the hardest part of trail running. It's as hard as concrete and it's not smooth, so every step is uneven and tilts your foot in some different way like trail running, but you're getting the harsh impact like you would on the road/sidewalk. After your downhill, you hit the other evil surface... SAND! for the next 1.5 miles you're either on a sandy trail or following the creek on the embankment and making one of 6 or seven crossings of that creek. Finally you hit the home stretch, a gravel/dirt access road again back to the start/checkin point. Again, each lap reverses direction, so just read that backwords and you know the other route.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-29 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: 24 Hours of Utah . . . the Run

2010-03-29 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2756343

Champion
Subject: RE: 24 Hours of Utah . . . the Run
Nice effort Pete.  Thanks for the detailed report which ends up being a training tool for those of us who have yet to cover this kind of distance.  Hopefully next time you'll have some of the nutrition bugs worked out too.  I found the same situation each time I did Ironman, that you could never count 100% on knowing what hydration and food plan might work on that specific day.  The ability to adapt to the situation is a real key here. 
2010-03-30 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Thanks for the great race report.....you painted a great picture of what it was like and I was imagining I was there with you. I question myself how far I would have made it but I think that's why we pursue these ventures. Don't give up on the vendetta go back and get the 24!
2010-03-30 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Ugh... sounds like the rock got the best of you...   Good effort...    

2010-03-30 5:14 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Very nice effort put forth there, even if you didn't make the 24hrs. Now you know what it's all about!

Oh and you still have more awesomeness than most people out there! Keep at it
2010-03-30 6:18 PM

User image

Great job and great report.
Sounds like you made the right decision on when to stop...besides you'll be back next year 

2010-03-30 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Eastern WA

congrats on making it 48 miles, impressive

Edited by JMINPNW 2010-03-30 6:35 PM
2010-03-31 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
You ultra guys/gals are incredible. Keep it up. Very nice write-up too.
2010-03-31 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
I agree that the way that your RR was written, it was like I was there with you. I still think you did great adapting to the situation that you had to deal with. Sounds like a "fun" event to try sometime. I'm just starting to workout again after about 20 years and it amazes me the challenges we can overcome and how mentally tough some of you are. Inspiring. Great job.
2010-04-01 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
dude, painful. That sandstone must have killed. Good job. Awesome.
2010-04-06 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Thanks everyone.  I'm already looking forward to next year, but now it's time to move onto more 'normal' events for the remainder of the year. 

It definitely is a fun event, kind of a perfect race to get your feet wet with ultras.  You can just go out there and know that you're not getting yourself stranded in the middle of no where when things go wrong.  And besides... if you can do a marathon, you can back the pace off a little bit and do a 50k, so you might as well go bigger than 50k if you want to see what you have in the tank.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 24 Hours of Utah . . . the Run Rss Feed