Age Group Rank = 2/10
Event warmup:

15min jog to warmup
Swim
  • 32m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

coldest swim i have ever done. no warmup b/c the water was so cold. as soon as i put my feet in they went numb. went with 2 swim caps to help avoid a massive headache. about 15sec before the gun went off i moved thru a few folks to the front right and the dove in to start. it was tough to catch my breath at first but i settled in quickly. i noticed about 3 people to my left swimming even with my so i kept a steady pace and soon moved to the front with 100m. the water was really rough from the wind so i just followed the lead kayak. as i rounded the first buoy i could tell i had a good lead already so i relaxed and stay focused. the long stretch across the back of the lake was directly into the chop which was tough. i drank water from waves several times but never lost my rhythm. after turning the last buoy to head home i could tell i had a huge lead so i was pretty pumped. by then i was also fighting off some foot cramps due to the cold water. luckily they never hurt me. when i stood up to exit the water it took a few seconds to gain my balance b/c i was really dizzy. had over a min lead out of the water!
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

skipped the wetsuit strippers and then could not get it off myself. finally had to sit on the ground to get my suit off. was so cold and wet had trouble getting my arm warmers on. i beat everyone out of the water by over a minute and was only the 3rd person out of T1. i lost at least 1-2mins here.

be more efficient!!!
Bike
  • 2h 49m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

was beat out of T1 by 2 guys, one of which i passed right back. within a few mins another guy passed me (the eventual winner) and the 2 guys ahead on me rode off up the first hills. i proceeded to ride the next 45min by myself into the wind up and down the hills. near the 1hr mark on the bike i was caught by Paul Terranova and another guy who had the fastest bike split. I manage to ride with them for 5min b4 they rode off like the others.for the next almost 2 hours i rode solo and tried to keep my legs pumping and mind positive. the bike was tough and at times i would get discouraged at the thought that the guys ahead were burying me. they landscape on the ride was awesome and there was minimal traffice. if the roads were in better condition this would be a premier half IM bike course. along the way i was chased by a dog, almost hit some roosters in the road, had horses 5 ft from my face with no fence in between and 11 cattle guards to go over. I enjoyed the ride but hated the ache it was putting into my legs. as i neared the end you have to make a long steady climb of over 500ft before you get back to T2. after that hill i was spent. my bike time includes T1 and T2 so i guess i rode aroound 2:44ish.

more bike training
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

moved pretty well thru T2
Run
  • 1h 31m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

i took off immediately hoping to se the others but that really didnt happen for while. my stomach was really upset so i was worried how i would finish. after 2 miles i saw 2 guys finishing and out and back section so both of them had a 1mile lead after 2miles. i got a boost of confidence seeing them so i started to run hard and really bomb the downhills. however, nutrition was sitting well so i had to slow down at times to avoid puking. i also needed to pee but felt it would cost me so i held it. near the end of the first loop you have a 1.5mile stretch along I-10 access road that was into a 20mph headwind. it was a mental f@%k b/c it felt like you were running in place. after that stretch and starting the 2nd loop i thought i might be stuck in 5th place. however around mile 9 i realized i was on 3rd and 4th places heels so i gased it again to pass them both. by then i was really ready to puke and now had a #2 brewing. i made sure to pass them with authority and not look back. one more stroll thru the nasty headwind section and i was done. i finished the first loop in 43ish mins and the second around 47min. i was dead at the end.

tweak my nutrition
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

need 3 more weeks of hills/strength work before IMSG.

Last updated: 2010-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 1/70
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra
Course: single loop swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:49:26 | 56 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 5/70
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: single loop thru counrty side with rollers, short/steep climbs, and long climbs. minimal traffic but did have to contend with animals on the road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:31:29 | 13.1 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 3/70
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop, some hills, and so trail running. 1.5mile stretch into a 20mph headwind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-30 7:01 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Tall Texan Triathlon

2010-03-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2757135

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Tall Texan Triathlon
Awesome race, especially that swim.

I know that bike course and it's a b!tch. I remember that 500 ft hill you're talking about and I've seen racers walk their bike up the last half. Mixing it up with the local farm animals adds some "adventure" to the race, also.

A sub-5 and 3rd place on a windy course like that is a great accomplishment.

Well done!

You're on your way to a solid IM in Utah.
2010-03-30 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Great job as usual.  You will be ready for IMSTG.  3 more solid weeks of training then some easier weeks.  The one thing you have is the ability to push when others quit. 
2010-03-30 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Sounds like it was a bit windy.

Recover and get ready for IMSG. I'll see ya there.
2010-04-01 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Dooooood, sweet race out there... sounds like the conditions were a little less than optimal, especially since I know how much you like the HEAT..... 2nd AG and 3rd overall, frickin awesome!!!! Great race as usual, can't wait to see the IMSG results!!!! Dial in that nutrition and you will be on it!!! Great job out there always look forward to seein ur race results!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall Texan Triathlon Rss Feed