70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 24s
Overall Rank = 2/70?
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Season Opener!

Pasta night before, early bed, good sleep.
Woke up around 5 am to get ready and eat.
Race was litterally around my community, so I rode my bike the .75 miles to the race start! Set up my transition area (open racks) and got some prime real estate on the end of one rack. Gave some new people some tips on how to set up, and chatted it up. Went off to body marking, picked up the numbers and waited it out.
Event warmup:

A brisk morning for Key West, but NO WIND!! Temps were in the 60's, so i went for a jog first to get the blood moving. This was a mass start event so i knew the exact time of the start, which really helps the warmup. Stretched out for a while, and then mustered up my courage to get in the water early to get some swimming. I am really glad i did because it completely took my breath away. Swam about 200 meters 50 meters at a time. The water started to feel better...
Swim
  • 07m 6s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

And then the gun went off. Uggg the entire swim was terrible. I couldnt catch my breath, couldnt pull, couldnt keep form. I cant believe that i survived as long as i did, and i was only about 2 minutes down from the leaders. My original plan was to keep within sight of the leaders to make my move on the bike, but that went to hell with my terrible swim. Something to work on, and i am sure that when i get my wetsuit comes i wont dread the cold water as much. Exited the water right about 7 minutes and ran to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Breathing, Breathing, breathing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Mostly happy with this. First race with my Giro Advantage 2, and I didnt have any issues getting it on. sunglasses on, socks, outta there...

Got to the mount line and went to do the flying mount (like i normally do...) and rammed my gut right into my seat...needless to say, it wasnt pretty, but fairly ammusing. Stopped, regained composure and took off.

Mount the bike better, just need practice after the off season.
Bike
  • 21m 53s
  • 8.48 miles
  • 23.25 mile/hr
Comments:

After the terrible mount, got my feet into the shoes and took off. The wind was very light, maybe 7 mph, and the first lap started out downwind. Got onto the loop part of the course easy enough, but was already down at least 1.5 minutes on the leaders from a terrible swim. I got a good pace going trying to control my breathing from the swim, and tried to keep it under 25 mph. About 1 mile in i let the pace increase. The backstretch was about 27-28 mph, and the front down to about 21-22. Continued to pick off people through the first lap, but after that, I had moved up to 4th overall and was only slowly gaining on the people in front. Laps 2 and 3 were pretty good, and on the way back to transition I backed off in preparation for the run. By the time i decided to get my feet out of the shoes, I had a bad realization...I couldnt even feel my feet. They were that cold from the swim, so I am not really looking forward to the Michigan Tri's. Hoped off the bike and ran the ohhh 10 feet to the rack.

Hmmmm... Not to much. I need to get my endurance up at higher power outputs. I felt like i should be up near 25 mph average for a race this short. I will take 23.25, which is my fastest bike split in my short triathlon career!
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

No time for this (official results arent really out yet, and they didnt time the transitions) so i am just guessing here.

Great stop for me, hopped off the bike, ran to the rack, slipped on the shoes, tied them, grabbed my race belt and visor and ran off.. heard some spectators talking and said "wow that was fast" and made me feel great. When i got to the rack, i saw 2 bikes so i knew i had to move out on the run.

not much, i need to get better laces for my shoes though...
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out on the run, and the first thing through my mind was "ohhhh i cant feel my feet." Not a positive feeling. Saw the two people that i saw bikes of and set my sights on them. Picked off the first one fairly easily about .5 miles in and concentrated on the second one which i caught and passed about .75 miles in. At this time, i was pretty sure that i was in the lead, which is a completely new feeling. When i hit the 1 mile mark at about 6:40, i was really happy, so i decided to turn it up a little bit. Was able to hold my increased pace pretty well, and continued through the next two miles.

I got to the turn back to the college, and i wasnt sure which way to go, so it took me a second of my mental thought to figure it out. No real time lost. Picked it up for the last 200 meters and stopped my watch. I was really happy with this run.

Not much... More run training, would like to get down to 18:40 5k's in a sprint. (6 min miles)
Post race
Warm down:

a little bit more jogging. I found out at the end that i came in second, and the first guy had beat me by about 4 minutes! He was crazy fast and i have raced him before, so i was surprised that i didnt see him at all during the race. Really happy with the opener, and i feel like some of the races i do later this year will be good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim Training... Cost me 1 minute easy here. What can i say, i suck at swimming in open water. Regardless, i feel alot better with a wetsuit, which is my next purchase.

Event comments:

This is a great local race. My only complaint is the short bike and lack of timing chips. It would be great to get all the splits, but that would drive up the entry fee.

Last updated: 2010-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:06 | 440 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/70?
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: L shaped loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average