General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best method of preventing yeast infections in wet swim gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-30 10:25 PM

Subject: Best method of preventing yeast infections in wet swim gear
I am an old swimmer and have considered doing Triathlon for years. 

I unfortunately develop a yeast infection every time I spend too much time in a swim suit. 
So I am looking for guidance on what is best. 

- Changing gear so I am not on medication the weeks after a race.
- Some new revolutionary gear that people prone to yeast infections have had success with.

Hope someone has good guidance. 

2010-03-30 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2759313

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
Subject: RE: Best method of preventing yeast infections in wet swim gear
Hi,
I have no suggestions for you except is there anything you can do as a preventative measure beforehand?  I know that yogurt can help (as I have used it when taking antibiotics to prevent a yeast infection).  It might be worth talking to your doctor about it. 

Also, in my experience, the trishorts do not stay as wet as a bathing suit (as the material is designed to dry out quickly.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
2010-03-30 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
2010-03-31 12:49 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
While we're on the subject of vaginal issues due to training - Anyone experience vaginal dryness due to frequent swimming? If so, what do you do to resolve the problem?
2010-03-31 7:23 AM

User image

Regular
Tri shorts really do dry quickly.  You can swim, bike and run in them.  I find them more comfortable than running shorts even for the run.  But still, get out of workout clothes as soon as you can.  Take dry clothes with you when you workout, so you can change, and then shower as soon as you get home.  Dry completely before getting dressed.  Even if this means using a hair dryer on cool/low setting.  Eating yogurt or drinking Kefir regularly probably helps some too.  Staying dry seems to be the biggest factor.

jami 
2010-03-31 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Are you sure it's a yeast infection. Girls can get "jock itch" too. It's a different kind of fungus.

2010-04-06 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2759583

Doctors write prescriptions every time. 
What is jock itch?

I am not so worried about the training because I can control that and choose to change clothes etc.

It is the competeting that worries me because like everyone says. Where am I going to change. :-
2010-04-07 5:36 AM
in reply to: #2772911

User image

Master
Anna.D - 2010-04-06 11:59 PM Doctors write prescriptions every time. 
What is jock itch?

I am not so worried about the training because I can control that and choose to change clothes etc.

It is the competeting that worries me because like everyone says. Where am I going to change. :-

You just change after you finish your race.  During the race, you will be sweating so much it would be worthless to change clothes (unless maybe an Iron-distance race). 

Put a towel around your waist.  Take tri-shorts off.  Slip other shorts on.  Remove towel.  Easy.  Obviously, this would be more difficult if you wore a tri-suit instead of separates, but all race locations have "facilities" or you could change in your car or using the towel method mentioned above.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best method of preventing yeast infections in wet swim gear Rss Feed