Strawberries
Event warmup:

Stretching, slight running in sandals, 200M swim
Swim
  • 11m 35s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow! My best event today. I've come a long way in swimming since January. Thrilled to have a sub 2min average.

Haven't done a lot of OW swims, so still have a hard time feeling pace out there.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Sense of balance was a little off after swim. HR was a little higher than normal.

Invest in a tri shirt...bike jersey was tough to pull over a wet body...
Bike
  • 49m 41s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been travelling a lot lately and this was the first time on bike in 6 weeks. Not exactly the greatest preparation, but this race was my first in front of family (4th race overall)...so I can live with the slow bike time.

Dropped my chain about 3 miles into course

My biking instincts escaped my mind! Dropped chain...didn't feel the wind very well. Could have pushed harder going out to take advantage of the tailwind. It was blowing East to West...odd yes, but I should have sensed that...

Overall, my goal was 18mph, since hadn't been on in a while...I came in at 18.1...I'll live with it...though it is below average for the performance I could have produced on this type of course
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Forgot race belt! Exited T2, ran 20 yards, turned around and went back into T2 to find race belt...Always something...

Not forget race belt
Run
  • 28m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful! Clearly my quads were not happy with me for making them run after the bike. The left inner quad cramped up about .75 miles into the run. I ran softly with that...then had a decent mile 2...then both cramped up for the final mile. Still averaged around 9:15 splits...but that's nothing compared to the 7:50 avg. earlier this Spring after longer and more challenging bike courses.

Nothing. Did the best I could with the situation I was in. I didn't walk much. I chose to jog through the pain. Stopped to stretch once and that helped get through the 2nd mile.
Post race
Warm down:

20-30 massage...very nice.
Stretching, though probably not enough
Golf...always an excellent 2nd half of the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability to train. Again, goal of this race wasn't setting personal bests. The goal was to complete the triahlon in front of my family. My family doesn't really know anything about tris (They still call them "marathon thingy")...so I was just happy to race and have them there. Was thrilled with the swim, indifferent on the bike, and not happy with the run...But the look on my grandma's face was awesome!

Running would have been fine...had I been able to train on the bike over the past 6 weeks.

Event comments:

Thought this was an awesome race! Shocked at the level at competition...come on now...30 people in my division...and 20 have <24min 5Ks? That's not fair! :-) Shows me I've still got plenty of work to do. And...it's only 10 miles from my house!

Last updated: 2005-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:35 | 600 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/30
Overall: 187/477
Performance: Good
Kicked in the chin early on. Lost the lead pack around 200M...After that had a lot of space, so swim was good.
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back...on a diagonal. Troublesome because I had to mentally force myself to think to think at an angle...not perpendicular to the shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:41 | 15 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/30
Overall: 294/477
Performance: Below average
HR gradually decreased during ride. Since I hadn't been able to train much on the bike the last 6 weeks, I was timid in keeping my HR high...didn't want to expire before the run. HR holding between 162-172
Wind: Some
Course: Fast! If only I had my true biking legs! Great, smooth surface, Two major hills...everything else was flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:53 | 03.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/30
Overall: 375/477
Performance: Bad
HR peaked at 185.
Course: Short, steep hills first .75 miles or so. Fairly flat road course after that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-22 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2005-06-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #180629

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon
Sounds like you did great!  Especially not being on the bike in 6 weeks.  I'm jealous your family was there - I bet that was cool.
2005-06-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #180735

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon
Thanks!

Looks like I didn't enter the correct time...Total Time was 1:33.33
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed