Canada
17C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 50s
Overall Rank = 578/2209
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/146
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early - the race didn't start until 10 a.m. Had breakfast, read the newspaper, relaxed. I was really looking forward to this race. Got everyone else up and ready - my husband was running his first time 5 km after my race...so he was excited and a bit nervous.
Event warmup:

Walked 10 minutes down to High Park where the race was being held.
Run
  • 41m 50s
  • 8 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

This was the first time I actually RACED a run. I really wanted to see what would happen if I really pushed it. I felt like I couldn't go another step after I crossed the finish line, so I'm happy. The first kilometer I realized I had gone out a bit fast, but it was so congested that I was more paying attention to just getting around people.

The first hill was OK. I managed it by imagining myself floating up the hill and keeping my arms swinging back. It never really stopped being congested on the course, though. The last hill is at 7 and a half km into the race and it's a monster. Lots of people stopped to walk it...don't blame them. I kept running from goal to goal - the light post, the sign, the person in pink...whatever. When I crested the hill, I was very, very happy.
What would you do differently?:

I'm so thrilled with my time. This is a significant PR for me - my last 8 km run, five years ago or so, I ran in over 48 minutes. Speed work seems to be paying off.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my friend who was having an off race. We met up with my husband and son and traded stuff and the dog and then he went off to run his 5 km. My friend and I grabbed food and gabbed about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too many people in the way, although I think they kept me from exploding too early.

Event comments:

They set up another water station at about 6 km, but it was waaaay hotter than it should ever be at the beginning of April in Toronto, and I think a water station before the 4 km mark would have been welcome. Great race, though.

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:50 | 08 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 18/146
Overall: 578/2209
Performance: Good
clock time was 43:12 - this is my chip time - soooo many people on such a narrow course.
Course: Rolling with two MONSTER hills at around three km and at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes