Dirty Spokes
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 22s
Overall Rank = 7/157
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

Perfect Spring Morning, low humidity, slight chill in the air, leaves on the ground.
Event warmup:

Said good morning to Tim, Race Director. Walked about 1/2 mile of trail + ran about 4 minute warmup
Run
  • 36m 22s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Figuring out the race strategy for these longer ones. No need to sprint at the start given that it was 1+ miles to the trail, unlike other races where you have a short distance then the single track, here spacing was good by the time you hit the trail.
First mile, easy and flat jogging path, then the fun began.Split 6:30 Entered the trail 11th on the tail of 2 guys, hung there for about 1/2 mile just for pacing and not going to fast, finally they slowed down and I passed, then quickly got passed by the guy on my tail, no worries.Mile 2 split 7:40.
Crossed creek and really didn't expect to be ankle deep in water, even though the race said you will be. So shoes soggy, cold feet, squishing through the forest, no blisters ensued, sweet! Then the climb. While this was not like 4-6% grade for a couple of miles, each hill was of the quarter mile variety and fairly steep. Hill #1, HR started climbing too quickly so I walked around 15 seconds, 1 guy passed me (more on that later), got to #2, no big deal, then #3 after a steep downhill came up the wall, ran as far as I could, about 15 seconds up it, then walked fast the remainder (slippery, steep, etc). I didn't lose any ground to the guy in front of me "running up it" Get to the top and the flat/downhill section, re-passed the one guy cause sounded like his HR exploded (heavy breathing, wheezing, etc). Good thing I walked to prevent that. Then passed 2 more guys in succession. Mile 3 split 9:40
Mile 3-4 were downhill and no-one in sight so had to navigate + hear a guy right on my tail, who ended up actually keeping my pace high, he never passed and I finally dropped him at the roller uphills around mile 4. But without him there, I probably would have backed off the speed, (so thanks John) Split 7:40.
With about 1/2 mile to go, I start to see 6th place up ahead a ways so I slowly start pushing thinking if I can keep a high pace, the guy behind won't catch me and maybe, just maybe I can catch the next person. Slowly start to reel them in, every uphill roller and turn I start to make up ground, just ran out of race distance. About 1/3 more mile and it would have been close but I was about 13 seconds back at the finish to who turns out to be the OA female.
Good race, then 8/9 come sprinting out of the forest about 20 seconds behind me, glad I had dropped them earlier cause I would not have been able to sprint.
What would you do differently?:

Wow do I like trail races, although the overall pace is slower than an open road race, the technical aspects make you keep your focus the whole time. Running through the hills of Georgia, what can get better than that?
Post race
Warm down:

Medal for 1st in AG, WOOHOO!!!! Had time to hang around, so that was awesome.

Event comments:

Tim at DirtySpokes puts on great races and is so enthusiastic before/during/after the event. They are organized, on time, in awesome locations and very challenging. This course was no joke and when I told Tim that at the finish line, he smiled!

Last updated: 2010-03-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:22 | 04.5 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 7/157
Performance: Good
Course: First mile on flat running path then into the woods of single track. Creek crossing, about 15 feet of ankle deep water around mile 2 then 3 short hills with the third being steep called the wall (it was no joke). Log hopping, tree dodging, follow the small signs and hope you don't go off course. Mile 3-4 downhill/rollers. This course is no joke, and a very fun trail run. It has a mix of it all, brutal single track with hills, leaves/pine needles, logs to jump, really narrow off camber sections.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-03 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Running the River's Edge

2010-04-03 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2766742

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Running the River's Edge
d00d, you're getting stronger and stronger! nice job on your 1AG!
2010-04-05 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Sweet, great job, congrats.
2010-04-07 7:19 AM

New user

Nice job Buttercup!  Keep improving like you have been...doing awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Running the River's Edge Rss Feed