The Crescent City Fitness foundation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 53m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6:45 and got dressed. Got a banana and bottled water as we headed out the door at 7:05. Had a 15 minute walk from friends house near Lakeview to Tad Gormley. Got in line for the buses and got on one about 7:35. Pulled up to donwtown at around 7:50. Kissed the wife for good luck and all of us split up. I headed towards the river. Went behind Cafe Du Monde and ended up near the front. Ended up 20 seconds back when the cannon sounded.
Event warmup:

Jog down the street and along the river before getting lined up.
Run
  • 53m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Lack of training over 4 miles really showed. Went out too fast, but wanted to go out as fast as possible just to see if I could hang on. Obviously that didn't happen. Was close to 8:00 pace at 5k mark, but died between 3 and 4. Picked it back up a little after that. PR at this race is 48:48, so wasn't even close. Maybe running more than 30 miles per month would help...
What would you do differently?:

Train more, go out a little slower when I know I can't hold the pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some friends to chat with and then headed to the post-race party. Found my old high school and college buddy and his girlfriend to hang with until I was supposed to meet my wife at 10:30. Old friend ran a 39:40, good for 128 place, not too shabby. Found my wife at 10:30 and we chilled with the friends who hosted us for the night. Walked back to the house about 12, showered and headed back to Baton Rouge.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, Training and heat. First really warm-day that I have run on. Temps have been unseasonably low for Louisiana this year. However, today temps were in the 70's with humidity in the 80's. Gotta love it.

Event comments:

Crescent City Classic never dissapoints. 22,000 registered runners is tough to deal with if you are in the back. Glad I was near the front. Wife had to dodge a ton of walkers and strollers.

Last updated: 2010-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2000/
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 7:40ish Mile 2: 7:50ish Mile 3: 8:50ish Mile 4: 9:30ish Mile 5: 9:00ish Mile 6.2: 11:02 (9:11ish)
Course: From Jackson Square to Poydras down to N. Rampart and over to Esplanade. Long stretch down Esplanade to City Park. Around City Park, up Roosevelt to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes