Charlottesville Track Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 13s
Overall Rank = 913/2343
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 61/115
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, had cereal and coffee for breakfast. Did stretching and then took shower to warm up muscles a bit. Got to the race at 7:15. No problem with parking. Forgot to bring a bottle of water, but there was plenty available.
Event warmup:

More stretching and leg warm-ups. Legs were good and limber by the time the race started.
Run
  • 1h 26m 13s
  • 10.12 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

For a change, I really thought about how to run this race. This was my 3rd ten miler and I've always died in the 2nd half of the course. So my strategy was to run totally relaxed through mile 6... and then, try to stay loose up the nasty Lexington hill through to Main Street. At Main Street, goal was to keep a 9min/mi pace until Alderman and then pick up the pace over the last mile. And it worked... way better than I expected. This was 5-6 minutes faster than I expected and 2-3 minutes faster than I hoped.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to bring the water... otherwise, nothing. 8:30 overall pace for me on a 10 mile course is outstanding... couldn't be happier.
Post race
Warm down:

Karen came by which was a nice surprise as I thought she'd be at her conference... so we just got little post-race food and started planning how we'd manage Katherine's college tour trip this week.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Might be time for new shoes... feet are getting a little bit sore now.

Event comments:

Just a great community race... lots of groups playing music... gospel singers on Grady are the best... always tempted to stop and listen for awhile. Also loved the old-time group at the Paramount... several friends playing there... thanks for the pick-ups!

Also a quick thanks to Ed who flew by me at mile six, but it was great to see him (yay for Anna!) and Trish, who ran along with me for a couple of miles in the middle of the race... good luck in Boston!

Last updated: 2010-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:13 | 10.12 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/115
Overall: 913/2343
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-04 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Charlottesville 10 Miler

2010-04-05 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2767275

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Charlottesville 10 Miler
Congrats on a great pacing strategy. Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville 10 Miler Rss Feed