AA Sports
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 28s
Overall Rank = 176/271
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 100/21
Pre-race routine:

Shower to wake up, cup of coffee as I always have one, half a bagel that I could barely eat due to jitters.
Event warmup:

Got marked, found my Transition area, then went and sat in the car with the heat on for nearly 40 minutes. This time it was TOO easy to check in, get my spot, layout my stuff and get ready. At the last 20 minutes prior, I checked my gear one last time, ran around a little, and went to the start.
Run
  • 28m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

First thing I did at the beginning was think Oh Crap! My Garmin isn't ready! and set it up for R/B/R. As I was doing so, I ran up the hill, turn east onto the run course, and rolled my ankle on a cone. Ouch! Surprise! It didn't hurt much so continued on. After a few minutes, I checked and discovered that I was starting out way too fast for me, and backed it off. Hard to let people pass, but I passed a lot of them again later. Part of teh route goes under the freeway and the road dips down to go under. On the way back, running up that incline really hurt my ankle. Bad sign. It was fine though on the flats.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will have my Garmin all set up BEFORE the start. And I will pay attention to the person in front of me who DODGES the cone, not trips over it. Darnit!
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

It was really cold/windy, and I changed gloves from running type to windproof cycling type. Took too much time. Also, it was windy/rainy and it was hard to deal with the plastic bags keeping my stuff dry.

Wear the cycling gloves on run. Practice more.
Bike
  • 54m 45s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was awful. The cold didn't help. We don't usually ride when we get that kind of cold and wind combo. My hurt ankle got really tired towards the end of the ride. But then, everything was really tired by that point. I did concentrate on drinking all my water bottle on the ride. That was good. I could tell I was a little dehydrated.

I need more training. Looks like DH will not be pulling on any ride until September.

I also need to figure out how to super hydrate over the previous couple of days.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Damned orthotics. Don't fit my shoes very well, and they push forward when I put my foot in my shoe unless I have them juuuuuuuust right. Hard to do with cold fumble-fingers.

Punch my podiatrist. OK. Not really. But she is an idiot.
Run
  • 29m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw some tri friends on the run. I knew they were signed up, but hadn't seen them, so it was cool that it was an out and back course. The run just felt slow and I couldn't pick it up.

It was great at the end as my friends waited at the finish for me and cheered. That was cool. :)

Not be such a training slacker over the winter, and not gain 10+ pounds. LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Limped off the finish as my ankle had decided enough was ENOUGH already and I guess once the race adrenaline wore off, that was that. I got a Gleukos from the free booth and went and got in the nice WARM car and changed to something dry. Then went to go get chicken soup, which was delicious and mildly spicy. Nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

I wish they could have dialed in some warmer, dryer weather - oh and less wind! holy moly i didn't need that wind.

The even was well-organized, and seemed well-planned. Good dj at the start, good setup on starting and T1. I will do this race again next year.

Oh, the only thing I would change is that the gun was the start, not when my chip crossed the mat. Still, as I was in no danger of winning my AG, a few seconds did not really matter. Since we had most of the road to cross the start and there were only 271 people it went quickly.

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:09 | 03.11 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 219/21
Overall: 176/271
Performance: Average
165=HR.
Course: Mostly flat. Out and back to the east on Marine Drive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 02:43
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:54:45 | 15 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 158/271
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Flat course, east to Troutdale, then west to Salty's and back to 122nd. The road curves a bit and I think the wind shifted some. Seemed like a strong, gusty cross-head wind both ways. Also, they had recentl ground up the road surface on the east side to repave. NOT fun. Grooves and very rough. Ugh. The rest was smooth on the shoulders as they have already repaved that area. Marine Drive is rough in the lanes from heavy traffic. The shoulders are smooth.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:16 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 208/271
Performance: Below average
Most of the run seemed to be at 158 HR.
Course: Flat and to the west on the chunky pavement this time. Oddly, my ankly didn't seem to care. I had NO air though. I couldn't seem to go any faster than a 9:30 pace, but my HR was only at 158. I was gettting a bit of a headache too - usually indicates under-hydration for me. Got a little water at the turn, but not more than a couple of swallows.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-04 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Spring Classic Duathlon

2010-04-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2767763

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Duathlon
Those darn sneaky cones. Hope your ankle mends quickly.
And great racing in what looked and sounded like terrible conditions!
2010-04-06 10:42 AM

Master
portland, or
Nice job! What a miserable day for a race.

scott
2010-04-06 10:43 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Great job bearing the nasty weather! Wind totally sucks on the bike...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Duathlon Rss Feed