of 3

2010-04-06 1:19 AM
in reply to: #2769939

User image

Subject: RE: Dog Owners: Parks & Dogs Off Leash

gearboy - 2010-04-05 4:55 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2010-04-05 7:38 PM
crusevegas - 2010-04-05 1:51 PM

1. If you are breaking the law DON'T do it.

2. When somoen has a dog off a leash  when I'm running my first thought is what are my outs and what can I do to protect myself if this dog attacks me,,,,,, I don't know the dog and I don't care that someone says he won't hurt you. I have to interupt my run to gauge my options.

3. Some children I know of have been attacked by dogs, yes the one's that have never attacked anyone and are totally freaked out by dogs and if they are un-leashed even more panic by this small boy.

4. Dogs are animals with instincts, runners will often trigger a prey or threat response in dogs.

You wouldn't care for my response if you were on the same running path as me with you dog offf the leash. 

Do the RIGHT thing!

Crusevegas, we are morphing into the same mind!  Agreement again. 

If there's a leash law, obey the law.

So I would be correct in assuming you two lovebirds never exceed the posted speed limit when driving?  Even when there is no cop around, or when most of the traffic is also cruising along 5-10 mph faster than the posted limit?

So you want to compare going 5 miles over the speed limint on the interstate with letting a pit bull run off leash on a urban pathway. That explains a lot of your thought process to me on some of your other post topics/ideas.

If you see me breaking any laws feel free to address those issues as you see fit.

I'll continue to do as I do when someone breaking the law infringes on my rights as a law abiding citizen.

If you don't exercise your rights and/or defend your rights you don't deserve them!

eta spillin and punctuatin

Edited by crusevegas 2010-04-06 1:21 AM

2010-04-06 5:46 AM
in reply to: #2770395

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 2:19 AM

So you want to compare going 5 miles over the speed limint on the interstate with letting a pit bull run off leash on a urban pathway. That explains a lot of your thought process to me on some of your other post topics/ideas.

If you see me breaking any laws feel free to address those issues as you see fit.

I'll continue to do as I do when someone breaking the law infringes on my rights as a law abiding citizen.

If you don't exercise your rights and/or defend your rights you don't deserve them!

You made a blanket statement about breaking the law.  Now you want to modify this to a specific example (especially a rather inflammatory one)? I would say your dog example is not the equivalent of going 5 mph over the limit on an interstate, but like going 20 mph over the limit in a residential area. 

Where I live, the so-called "dog run" is NOT in an urban park, but a suburban trail system, with large open fields.  My dogs are not pit bulls, and most of the dogs I see in the park are not either. They are generally breeds considered by most people to be "family friendly breeds".  Technically, dogs are supposed to be leashed there at all times, but by tradition and convention, the area is commonly referred as "the dog run" part of the park; and enforcement of the law is spotty.  When my well trained and friendly dogs are chasing balls I throw while off lead 300 yards or more from any visible people, I am technically breaking the law (and I am responding to your statement "1. If you are breaking the law DON'T do it.").  But I would posit that it is more like going 60 on a highway posted at 55, not plowing through the sidewalks.

I had not made the original "one size fits all" statement. I think the way you modified the example when the generalization was questioned speaks to your thought processes as well; particularly to the assumptions you make about others' thought processes.
2010-04-06 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2769211

User image

Payson, AZ
megtrow - 2010-04-05 11:19 AM It is really sad how many people have been negatively affected by irresponsible pet owners.  So many people get dogs simply assuming that training a well-behaved dog is no big deal, thinking right away that they will be able to let their dog off-leash and maintain control.  This just isn't the case.  I recently had a friend adopt a small dog (<7lbs)... it was her first dog ever, and she decided to take it hiking [yes, she took a 7lb dog hiking in the mountains] three days after adopting it.  She then proceeded to let the dog off-leash, on a mountain trail, and he promptly got spooked by a bird and ran away.  They never found the poor little dog and I'm 100% positive he ended up as coyote food that night.  There are so many problems with this scenario, it's not even close to being funny. 

That being said, leash laws vary a lot from state to state and from city to city.  I am a definite proponent of obeying all leash laws within city limits... but as a super-outdoorsy person who likes to include my dog on as many outdoor excusions as possible, I freely admit to pushing the boundaries often, but only in an extremely controlled manner.  My dog has been trained since she was a puppy to hike, camp, and travel with my off-leash.  She carries her own backpack when we hike, she never gets more than a hundred feet or so in front of me, and she always returns when called.  If we encounter and person or another dog, I tell her to immediately sit and stay, and she waits until I approach her and clip on her leash, at which point we then get closer to the other party- this let's the other group know that I am in full charge of my dog, and it also protects my dog in the case that either the other person or their animal is not as friendly as my animal and I are. 

I've met a lot of incredibly hostile people who are ready to yell at you as soon as they see you with a dog off-leash, even in the middle of the woods.  I can usually always win them over with how well-behaved Sienna is, but it's really sad that so many dog owners have so little control over their animals and have made such a touchy situation for those of us who have worked so hard to make sure that our animals can safely enjoy the freedom that they should be allowed.

Now see, I have no problem with that.  If you have verbal control of your dog and I see you have verbal control of your dog all I get is envious.    But, until you get your dog to sit and get him on leash the people coming up the other way do not know you have that kind of control.  I never had problems with dogs running up to me before I had a dog until one day when I was at the turn-around point of an 18 mile run out in the forest and some lady had her two dogs off leash.  They looked like nice dogs, all come, no signs of agression.  As I was running past them one came up to me and I thought nothing of it because he looked like he was coming for a sniff.  Then he bit me on the leg.  What the?  Never saw it coming.  It mentally upset me more then physically.  My mp3 player saved the bite from being too serious, and it really messed with my mind (and made the second half of my run really sucky).  I now HATE it when dogs run up to me, especially when I have either of my dogs with me. 

I think it is a lot like bikers.  A few bad folks ruin it for the rest of us.  Non-bikers assume we all like to ride 4 side by side blocking traffic, ignoring laws, etc.  Not all dogs off leash are problems in the making, but we can't tell that from a distance.
2010-04-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2768430

Andrea

Drive up north a little and let the dog run.  Closer to you try Huron Meadows, they have long secluded trails.
2010-04-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2770191

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
ell-in-or - 2010-04-05 9:21 PM

bzgl40 - 2010-04-05 3:24 PM
brynn - 2010-04-05 2:40 PM  As a dog owner I HATE it when other dogs approach me off leash when I have my dogs. My shiba is leash-aggressive, which means when she is on a leash she will get snippy with your dog no matter how awesome and friendly your dog is. She weighs about 18 pounds so she could easily be hurt by another dog. So that is something to keep in mind too - not every dog or person out there wants to meet your dog, no matter how well behaved he is! I try hard to keep her away from other dogs when she is on her leash, but if the other dog is not on a leash there is only so much I can do.

This bugs the crap out of me as well.  I have a dog that is very dog aggressive and I can control him just fine when he is on leash but I can't control the other dog that is coming towards him.  I can guarantee a fight if that dog gets to mine.  I've seem my other dog chased after so many times with the owners yelling their bloody head off to the dog to come back and of course it never happens.  One lady freaked out so bad since apperently her dog is aggressive as well that it took a long time for my heart rate to settle back down again.  Can't imagine what it did to the dogs.  I am sure her screaming settled them down just fine.

If I am being responsible and have my dog on leash why can't you?  It's the law and my dog has a right to exercise as well.  Sadly I feel I cannot bring him out and I feel so bad about that.  He deserves to go out and walk down the side walk and sniff around and enjoy life as well.  And yes, we are training him to be less dog aggressive but that's not as easy as other dogs being on leash.  My other dog is getting plenty of run time however... 

I worked with my dog for years (unsuccessfully) on being not dog aggressive while on leash. (Never even tried off leash.) I always wanted to punch the crap out of the people who yelled at me from 100 yards away, "Heeeeeee's frieeeeeeeeeennnndlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" as their dog came running up on us. My dog was about 30 pounds and as a corgi, had no tail. Other dogs consistently took his lack of visible greeting tail-wag as aggression and would start a fight immediately. My dog learned that any dog running up on him was going to attack and not surprisingly started to act accordingly. I can't tell you how many 'friendly' labradors and even a golden or two (usually mellow softies for heaven's sake) I had to literally kick off of my dog while their owners were SO sorry their unleashed 'friendly' animal attacked mine. And then were greatly offended and mighty huffy when I mentioned that there is a leash law.  Because of those people we spent probably 6+ years only walking our dogs at 9pm at night. Do not be one of those people. Why should the rest of us not exercise our dogs at all or have to walk late at night because YOU can't believe that rules don't apply to you?

I'm tired of the belief that unleashed = uncontrolled. Responsible dog owners have control over their dog, off leash or on. Irresponsible owners have no control. Having your dog on a leash does not equal having control. Ever see a Newfie or other large breed dragging a person behind them? I have.

I too hate when uncontrolled dogs approach my dog especially when she is leashed. She too is leash aggressive. That being said, all the naysayers continue to equate off leash with uncontrolled. This is not the case. Those dogs who were off leash and ran right up to you would do the same thing if they were leashed. They would just be dragging an irresponsible owner behind them.

Even off leash my dog is never allowed to approach another dog. She sits and stays until she is released. I very rarely let her play with dogs I don't know, and never without first talking to the other owner. It pretty much comes down to if the other owner has the same level of verbal control over their dog that I do over mine, then I will allow my dog to interact with the other dog.

Edited by graceful_dave 2010-04-06 9:34 AM
2010-04-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2770445

User image

gearboy - 2010-04-06 3:46 AM
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 2:19 AM

You made a blanket statement about breaking the law.  Now you want to modify this to a specific example (especially a rather inflammatory one)? I would say your dog example is not the equivalent of going 5 mph over the limit on an interstate, but like going 20 mph over the limit in a residential area. 

Where I live, the so-called "dog run" is NOT in an urban park, but a suburban trail system, with large open fields.  My dogs are not pit bulls, and most of the dogs I see in the park are not either. They are generally breeds considered by most people to be "family friendly breeds".  Technically, dogs are supposed to be leashed there at all times, but by tradition and convention, the area is commonly referred as "the dog run" part of the park; and enforcement of the law is spotty.  When my well trained and friendly dogs are chasing balls I throw while off lead 300 yards or more from any visible people, I am technically breaking the law (and I am responding to your statement "1. If you are breaking the law DON'T do it.").  But I would posit that it is more like going 60 on a highway posted at 55, not plowing through the sidewalks.

I had not made the original "one size fits all" statement. I think the way you modified the example when the generalization was questioned speaks to your thought processes as well; particularly to the assumptions you make about others' thought processes.

#1 was in direct response to the OP's concern about dogs off leash.

You highlighted the OBEY THE LAW but must have overlooked the few words before that that said "If there is a leash law"

If you feel you are above the law not much I can do about that, unless I see you.

Most of the dogs that have attacked or threatned me were "family friendly"  breeds.

You dog hasn't attacked anyone, YET!

I hope it stays that way while you continue to break the law.

2010-04-06 10:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2770942

graceful_dave - 2010-04-06 7:31 AM
brynn - 2010-04-05 2:40 PM  As a dog owner I HATE it when other dogs approach me off leash when I have my dogs. My shiba is leash-aggressive, which means when she is on a leash she will get snippy with your dog no matter how awesome and friendly your dog is. She weighs about 18 pounds so she could easily be hurt by another dog. So that is something to keep in mind too - not every dog or person out there wants to meet your dog, no matter how well behaved he is! I try hard to keep her away from other dogs when she is on her leash, but if the other dog is not on a leash there is only so much I can do.

This bugs the crap out of me as well.  I have a dog that is very dog aggressive and I can control him just fine when he is on leash but I can't control the other dog that is coming towards him.  I can guarantee a fight if that dog gets to mine.  I've seem my other dog chased after so many times with the owners yelling their bloody head off to the dog to come back and of course it never happens.  One lady freaked out so bad since apperently her dog is aggressive as well that it took a long time for my heart rate to settle back down again.  Can't imagine what it did to the dogs.  I am sure her screaming settled them down just fine.

If I am being responsible and have my dog on leash why can't you?  It's the law and my dog has a right to exercise as well.  Sadly I feel I cannot bring him out and I feel so bad about that.  He deserves to go out and walk down the side walk and sniff around and enjoy life as well.  And yes, we are training him to be less dog aggressive but that's not as easy as other dogs being on leash.  My other dog is getting plenty of run time however... 

I worked with my dog for years (unsuccessfully) on being not dog aggressive while on leash. (Never even tried off leash.) I always wanted to punch the crap out of the people who yelled at me from 100 yards away, "Heeeeeee's frieeeeeeeeeennnndlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" as their dog came running up on us. My dog was about 30 pounds and as a corgi, had no tail. Other dogs consistently took his lack of visible greeting tail-wag as aggression and would start a fight immediately. My dog learned that any dog running up on him was going to attack and not surprisingly started to act accordingly. I can't tell you how many 'friendly' labradors and even a golden or two (usually mellow softies for heaven's sake) I had to literally kick off of my dog while their owners were SO sorry their unleashed 'friendly' animal attacked mine. And then were greatly offended and mighty huffy when I mentioned that there is a leash law.  Because of those people we spent probably 6+ years only walking our dogs at 9pm at night. Do not be one of those people. Why should the rest of us not exercise our dogs at all or have to walk late at night because YOU can't believe that rules don't apply to you?
I'm tired of the belief that unleashed = uncontrolled. Responsible dog owners have control over their dog, off leash or on. Irresponsible owners have no control. Having your dog on a leash does not equal having control. Ever see a Newfie or other large breed dragging a person behind them? I have. I too hate when uncontrolled dogs approach my dog especially when she is leashed. She too is leash aggressive. That being said, all the naysayers continue to equate off leash with uncontrolled. This is not the case. Those dogs who were off leash and ran right up to you would do the same thing if they were leashed. They would just be dragging an irresponsible owner behind them. Even off leash my dog is never allowed to approach another dog. She sits and stays until she is released. I very rarely let her play with dogs I don't know, and never without first talking to the other owner. It pretty much comes down to if the other owner has the same level of verbal control over their dog that I do over mine, then I will allow my dog to interact with the other dog.

The problem is an approaching person doesn't know you, don't know your dog and has no idea of the control you have over your animal.

If there is a leash law, I would appreciate everyone obeying it.

NOBODY can guarantee that there won't be something that could trigger an animal to act in a manner the owner wouldn't imagaine.

If you love your animal protect it, keep it on a leash unless you are in a proper place to have it off leash.

2010-04-06 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2770942

@ Graceful Dave, another problem with "well behaved" animals off leash when other people see that they feel they have the right to do the same even if they don't have the same amount of control over their animal.

If there is a leash law obey it, isn't that what living in a civilized society is about?

2010-04-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2771098

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 10:18 AM

@ Graceful Dave, another problem with "well behaved" animals off leash when other people see that they feel they have the right to do the same even if they don't have the same amount of control over their animal.

If there is a leash law obey it, isn't that what living in a civilized society is about?

My town's law is leashed or under some other means of control. I've got a remote training collar on her anytime we are outside so I'm good either way
2010-04-06 10:53 AM

Pro
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 11:18 AM

Technically, in a country of laws, we all should follow all the laws.  Yet many do not, and make judgements about the risks of getting caught.  You never answered my question about following the speed limit religiously. If you do so, congratulations, and you have a 100% defensible position from which none of us can challenge you.  I am not saying that is impossible.  Mrs. gearboy never knowingly speeds (her one speeding ticket EVER came from driving off the interstate in an unfamiliar area, and not being able to see the posted limit being 25 mph.  She got ticketed for doing 32 mph, in an area where the conditions would usually result in a posted limit of 35 mph.  Hardly the behavior of a woman who drives recklessly). She also will not allow the dogs to be off lead when she has them in the local park.

However, if you do not follow ALL laws equally, you are making the same calculus as the rest of us, just in different areas. In addition, the risks being cited on this thread (dog behaving aggressively, or unpredictably, etc) would hold true whether the area is legally leash free or not.  As I mentioned earlier, I have taken my dogs to a multiuse area, where it IS legal to be off lead.  Until I had control over and knew my dogs' personalities, they stayed on lead, even there.  In actuality, the risks of my dog having a problem is actually greater on the trail, since it is quite possible to come around a bend and not be able to see the horses or mountain bikers coming down the other side, resulting in a problem.  Even on lead, there could be a problem, if I cannot see you coming.  While the field where it is technically illegal is wide and open, with a grid of "paths" cut into the vegetation (which is never higher than waist high).  I will clearly be able to see any runners or bikers, or other dogs, and have plenty of time to call my guys in and leash up if necessary. Thus the risks are actually less in the area it is illegal.  I accept that I would get a ticket, and have to pay fines if caught; but the actual risk of the dogs harming someone is not dependent on the laws so much as the location and the training of the dog.

Edited by gearboy 2010-04-06 10:54 AM

2010-04-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2771219

gearboy - 2010-04-06 8:53 AM
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 11:18 AM

Technically, in a country of laws, we all should follow all the laws.  Yet many do not, and make judgements about the risks of getting caught.  You never answered my question about following the speed limit religiously. If you do so, congratulations, and you have a 100% defensible position from which none of us can challenge you.  I am not saying that is impossible.  Mrs. gearboy never knowingly speeds (her one speeding ticket EVER came from driving off the interstate in an unfamiliar area, and not being able to see the posted limit being 25 mph.  She got ticketed for doing 32 mph, in an area where the conditions would usually result in a posted limit of 35 mph.  Hardly the behavior of a woman who drives recklessly). She also will not allow the dogs to be off lead when she has them in the local park.

However, if you do not follow ALL laws equally, you are making the same calculus as the rest of us, just in different areas. In addition, the risks being cited on this thread (dog behaving aggressively, or unpredictably, etc) would hold true whether the area is legally leash free or not.  As I mentioned earlier, I have taken my dogs to a multiuse area, where it IS legal to be off lead.  Until I had control over and knew my dogs' personalities, they stayed on lead, even there.  In actuality, the risks of my dog having a problem is actually greater on the trail, since it is quite possible to come around a bend and not be able to see the horses or mountain bikers coming down the other side, resulting in a problem.  Even on lead, there could be a problem, if I cannot see you coming.  While the field where it is technically illegal is wide and open, with a grid of "paths" cut into the vegetation (which is never higher than waist high).  I will clearly be able to see any runners or bikers, or other dogs, and have plenty of time to call my guys in and leash up if necessary. Thus the risks are actually less in the area it is illegal.  I accept that I would get a ticket, and have to pay fines if caught; but the actual risk of the dogs harming someone is not dependent on the laws so much as the location and the training of the dog.

FYI the OP was asking about dogs off leash, NOT the motor vehicle laws.

2010-04-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2771228

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 10:58 AM

Yes, but you keep making blanket statements about following the law if it is the law and isn't that what society is all about.

I'm also curious if you ever knowingly speed? It would seem that based on your regard for leash laws you would never think of breaking the speed limit. Yet your refusal to answer the question seems to mean that you do break the speed limit which makes it okay for you to pick and choose which laws you break and which you can force on others.

2010-04-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2771228

Pro
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 11:58 AM

Yes.  She was asking about other people's experiences with how strict local enforcement of leash laws is.  You took up a "dog"matic response - obey all laws.  The OP was not asking whether or not it was legal or not:

>>>>>That said, what's the story with parks, dogs, how strict the rangers are on the trails, etc?

As I said earlier, in my experience, at my local park that has a leash law, enforcement is quite spotty.  And of course, at the multiuse trail, leashes are at the owner's discretion.  I've run into the rangers there while the dogs were off lead with not so much as a dirty look.

I answered the OP, without passing judgment about being a scofflaw or bandit, or likening it to the downfall of civilization (which I will acknowledge pre-emptively is an exxageration of your statement about "living in a civilized society").  Your initially response to the thread did NOT answer her question.  It DID state emphatically that she should simply not let the dogs off lead.  We can certainly agree to disagree about the reasonableness of dogs being off lead as a general rule, as I suspect we will, and leave it there. As I said in my last posting, the legality of it is really secondary to the wisdom of the practice anywhere. I know there are many hikers, bikers, and equestrians on both sides of the issue of dogs running free, regardless of the prsence or absence of leash laws.
2010-04-06 11:21 AM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die

So by this thinking no one should ever race cars/motorcyles/whatever fast dangerous thing because other people might see it and think it's okay to jump into a powerful car and go fast without spending years gaining the necessary skill to do it safely. This argument does not work for me. How about people with dogs take responsibility for their dogs. Mine is under control. Just because other people might see me with my dog off leash does not mean they should assume that it's okay for their untrained dog to go off leash. It is their responsibility to know this.
2010-04-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2771287

graceful_dave - 2010-04-06 9:16 AM
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 10:58 AM FYI the OP was asking about dogs off leash, NOT the motor vehicle laws.

Yes, but you keep making blanket statements about following the law if it is the law and isn't that what society is all about. I'm also curious if you ever knowingly speed? It would seem that based on your regard for leash laws you would never think of breaking the speed limit. Yet your refusal to answer the question seems to mean that you do break the speed limit which makes it okay for you to pick and choose which laws you break and which you can force on others.

So if this is your position that if someone isn't perfect and pure, they have no right to state their opinion on a specific issue?

I think I've been pretty specific about directing my comments to the leash law, the topic of this thread.

Are you saying that if I've broken a speed limit law I have forfited my ability to comment on this topic or to confront a dog owner who is breaking the leash law?

If that's the case, I don't think there would actually be ayone who would be allowed to voice their opinion would there?

2010-04-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2771304

graceful_dave - 2010-04-06 9:21 AM

So by this thinking no one should ever race cars/motorcyles/whatever fast dangerous thing because other people might see it and think it's okay to jump into a powerful car and go fast without spending years gaining the necessary skill to do it safely. This argument does not work for me. How about people with dogs take responsibility for their dogs. Mine is under control. Just because other people might see me with my dog off leash does not mean they should assume that it's okay for their untrained dog to go off leash. It is their responsibility to know this.

My thinking on that is people see someone breaking a law of this nature and then feel why should they have to obey it.

2010-04-06 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2771312

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 11:22 AM

crusevegas - 2010-04-06 10:58 AM FYI the OP was asking about dogs off leash, NOT the motor vehicle laws.

Yes, but you keep making blanket statements about following the law if it is the law and isn't that what society is all about. I'm also curious if you ever knowingly speed? It would seem that based on your regard for leash laws you would never think of breaking the speed limit. Yet your refusal to answer the question seems to mean that you do break the speed limit which makes it okay for you to pick and choose which laws you break and which you can force on others.

So if this is your position that if someone isn't perfect and pure, they have no right to state their opinion on a specific issue?

I think I've been pretty specific about directing my comments to the leash law, the topic of this thread.

Are you saying that if I've broken a speed limit law I have forfited my ability to comment on this topic or to confront a dog owner who is breaking the leash law?

If that's the case, I don't think there would actually be ayone who would be allowed to voice their opinion would there?

You've got a point, but the way you come off in your statements about the law is very generalized and seems to be implying some sense of superiority which would be hard to accept should you not apply the same black and white view of the law to everything.

If I've got it wrong. I apologize. Perhaps rewording the way you discuss leash laws would make it less likely for confusion.
2010-04-06 11:56 AM

Expert
Austin, TX
Didn't read through all the replies, but dogs should be on a leash when out in public period (unless it is a specified non-leash park).  Even then be prepared and willing to pay the consequences (fines, medical bills, etc) if your dog were to bite someone.

I was on the receiving end of a dog bite just 3 days ago.  Was running along in my neighborhood minding my own business when a dog, off leash in his front yard, charged me and bit me on the back of my right leg before I even knew it.  Put pictures up of the bite in my album.  I am tired of loose dogs and irresponsible owners.  I hope cops and park rangers ticket as many loose dog owners as possible.  Loose dogs seem to be a growing trend and has got to stop.  This is my PSA. 
2010-04-06 12:43 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Leash it unless it is allowed.  Noone is 100% in control of thier dog.  As dogs age they get crouchier and can be unpredicatible, hell I'm not even a dog and I'm crouchier and unpredicatable.  That leash is the connection to your dog the more he off it the more he being thinking he is independent.  Plus people like me enjoy stringing the dog along well away from the owner when I am out. 

Even if your dog has "perfect recall" its hard to get back to you when there is a 60 pound pitbull on your neck. 
2010-04-06 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2771487

graceful_dave - 2010-04-06 9:56 AM
crusevegas - 2010-04-06 11:22 AM

You've got a point, but the way you come off in your statements about the law is very generalized and seems to be implying some sense of superiority which would be hard to accept should you not apply the same black and white view of the law to everything. If I've got it wrong. I apologize. Perhaps rewording the way you discuss leash laws would make it less likely for confusion.

Fair enough on my not making the point clear enough, for the record, my comments are directed at the Leash Laws. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm probably overly passionate about this for a few reasons, the two dogs in Laughlin that literally attacked me bit a hole in my water bottle as I did the best to defend myself against them.

The two rotwillers that came after me on my bike until the ower was able to call them back.

The three dogs that came after me on a running path and the lady said it was my fault they were threatening me.

The poor little white fuzzy dog that came at me with what I believed was the intent to bite me and I kicked it, not something I'm proud of happy about but I wouldn't do anything different under the circumstances. The owner propmptly told me I was going to have to pay his vet bills.

The two little ankle biters along my regular running path and the owner who didn't think I should be there.

The lady who got mad at me for running in front of her house and her two dogs chased me about 3 blocks before they stopped, she was mad because she had to chase them and said if I wasn't running they wouldn't have chased me. (Ok this was kind of fun, cause I knew I could out run them and ran just fast enough so they would come along and the lady had to make an effort to come after them)

There were others as well on the bike, but those incidents are what have made me passionate about the topic and I do what I can to encourage those I meet to put there dogs on a leash.

There is a son of a friend of ours who was maulled by a "family friendly breed" and has been dealing with not only the physical trauma but a lot of emotional trauma as well. Him seeing a dog is bad enough, him seeing a dog off leash is equilivent to someone else having a loaded gun pointed at them by an angry man.

2010-04-06 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2770191

Veteran
, Wisconsin

I always wanted to punch the crap out of the people who yelled at me from 100 yards away, "Heeeeeee's frieeeeeeeeeennnndlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" as their dog came running up on us.

Because of those people we spent probably 6+ years only walking our dogs at 9pm at night. Do not be one of those people. Why should the rest of us not exercise our dogs at all or have to walk late at night because YOU can't believe that rules don't apply to you?

X a billion! 

My dog is always leashed and he loves to walk, but he is aggressive when approached by other dogs.  The only thing that limits my ability to walk him (on leash) in public is other irresponsible folks with off-leash dogs.

Edited by SpottedCow 2010-04-06 10:17 PM
2010-04-06 10:15 PM

Veteran
, Wisconsin
The short answer to the original question is:

1) Unless the park is a designated off-leash dog park, leash your dog

2) If you don't want to leash your dog, find a fenced off-leash dog park

3) Leashes save lives (regardless of how well-behaved you think your dog is) - If you don't agree, spend some time at your local veterinary emergency hospital
2010-04-06 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2772850

Pro
Evanston,
SpottedCow - 2010-04-06 11:15 PM The short answer to the original question is:

1) Unless the park is a designated off-leash dog park, leash your dog

2) If you don't want to leash your dog, find a fenced off-leash dog park

3) Leashes save lives (regardless of how well-behaved you think your dog is) - If you don't agree, spend some time at your local veterinary emergency hospital

I wish it were this easy.  For dogs who have fear aggression when approached by other dogs, the dog park isn't an option either.
2010-04-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2772936

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Everyone knows that laws aren't written for you your dog.  They are written for the other guy guy's dog, who cannot handle freedom like you your dog.

My dog had a scuffle with another dog (while my dog was off lead).  The scuffle wasn't serious, but the other owner hurt his back during it.  He sued me, and my lawyer-friend suggested that I just pay the $1000 and be done with it.

Lesson learned.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog Owners: Parks & Dogs Off Leash Rss Feed  

of 3