General Discussion Race Reports! » GHORBA Short Track Stampede 2010 - JP Brindley Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

GHORBA Short Track Stampede 2010 - JP Brindley Trail - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugarland, Texas
United States
GHORBA
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed donuts since that is what my daughter, who was also racing, wanted. Questioned my decision to eat 2 glazed donuts and coffee but did so anyway.
Event warmup:

Rode the course 3 times. It was only about 2.2 miles including the jogging trails
Bike
  • 16m 10s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt OK with my time trail results but am a bit disappointed with my performance on the heat race results. I went too hard at the start to get the wholeshot into the woods and led the entire race. I had a pretty big lead going into the woods and watched (heard) it slip away. They guys were slowly gaining on my on the single track and when we got out into to clearing it was a sprint finish I could not sustain. First mistake- I had a serious lack of the will to win which is different than the wanting to win. I could have just sucked it up and pushed through the pain and probably could have made it onto the next round. My second mistake was poor strategy. I was the hunted not the hunter. I should have sat back and patiently waited to make my move late in the race. I out sprinted these guys going into the woods I could have certainly out sprinted them at the end if I had just a bit more in the tank and the will to deal with the pain. Third mistake- I need more road miles and interval training. This course was non-technical and fast. It favored guys with legs and lungs vs. guys with bike handling skills
What would you do differently?:

Strategize better, train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a Gatorade and watched the other heats to cheer on my teammates and most importantly my daughter

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Lack of the will to win
2. Poor strategy
3. Lack of interval training.

Event comments:

Fun race as usual, MY performance could have been better. My daughter decided to make this her 1st mountain bike race. She did awesome and placed 3rd in the women's cat4 division. This is a good start for a 13 y.o. who does has not ridden a bike further than to her friends house or the neighborhood pool let alone ride a mountain bike AND race it . She’s a runner and a superb volleyball player so her conditioning for those sports helped on the bike. She’s been bitten by the bike bug and has made several friends in her age group as a result. Watching her enjoy herself and want to race again was the best result off all.

Last updated: 2010-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
00:16:10 | 04.4 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: mostly flat and fast single track. Rolling single track with a couple of burms. Due to the short single track length, the adjacent jogging trails had to be added in. Good for the rodies, bad for me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-05 2:29 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: GHORBA Short Track Stampede 2010 - JP Brindley Trail
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GHORBA Short Track Stampede 2010 - JP Brindley Trail Rss Feed