BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-07-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Thanks all for the advice--I had started on the outside but must admit that I got caught up in the pack rather quickly--hard not to get wrapped up in the moment.  Mostly I plan on working on my swimming style--but in the next race I think I"ll let the fast pack take off and swim my own speed--make up the diff on the bike and run.  Feell it's a whole lot better to come out of the water with some zip in the tank.

2010-07-21 8:50 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey folks!

I haven't been posting much but have been getting some training in and checking the thread.  My first race of the season is Sunday.  Just found out that us older triathletes are starting in the later waves.  Looks like I will have some 1800+ racers on the course before me.  Yikes! That seems like too many for a sprint tri.  I am doing SheRox and signed up only in order to do it with friends.  NOt so sure now.

In addition my new bike, a2009  Felt B16, which I LOVE has been recalled.  There is an issue with the front fork breaking.  LBS told me today to consider it unsafe to ride until I get the fork replaced.  Won't happen until after the race.  Looks like I am going to need to use my 11 yo slightly rusted Bianci.  Better get it cleaned up a bit and maybe even replace the chain.  So now in addition to my usual HTFU slogans of "it might rain on race day" and "it might be hot on race day" I can add "your bike might not be rideable on race day".  Good thing I only do this for fun and relaxation!
2010-07-21 8:55 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Did you mention to the LBS you had a race this week? Could they either loan you a bike in the possible rental fleet, or hook you up with a discounted tune up on the other bike as part of the good will from selling you a bike that has been recalled. I know it is not the LBSs fault, but good will rocks

2010-07-24 3:58 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey team! Lets show a little love to our fearless leader. He crashed his bike on Friday. Nothing broken, just bruised.
2010-07-24 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Josh, you doing ok??  Heard a rumor you went down Frown
2010-07-24 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Just did a car ride over to look at the course for my next race in two weeks--MONSTER HILL--guess I had better step up my hill climbing practice--who's the expert on hill here?

2010-07-24 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3002351

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Dragonflyer - 2010-07-24 6:22 PMJosh, you doing ok??  Heard a rumor you went down Frown
I'll live. I rode the spin bike for 2 hours while the bike is getting looked at. Don't ride over train tracks in the rain.
2010-07-24 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3002380

User image

Regular
Billerica
Boston Beginner - 2010-07-24 5:54 PM
Dragonflyer - 2010-07-24 6:22 PMJosh, you doing ok??  Heard a rumor you went down Frown
I'll live. I rode the spin bike for 2 hours while the bike is getting looked at. Don't ride over train tracks in the rain.

Ouch! But it appears you are good with a nice 2 hrs trainer ride. Nice recovery
2010-07-25 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Funny you should mention train tracks--the course I just went over and rode to see the ups and downs before the race in under 2 weeks--rough set of train tracks on the course---surprised they would run the course in that direction--going to be hard on the rims--I would think!
2010-07-27 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

How's everyone doing?  I am healing.  Scraps on your knee suck because it is always stretching out.  I actually feel better when I swim or run.  Walking and moving around hurt more.  I should be getting my bike back tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting on it again.  I am in week 4 already of IM training.  In case you didn't hear, the dam that holds all the water at IMAZ burst last week and there is no water in the lake we are supposed to swim in.  They say that it's supposed to be fixed by Nov.  Nothing I can do about it, so I am not going to worry...yet.  

2010-07-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3008791

User image

Expert
Hi Again Everyone:

I'm Dave, and I joined this group back in January and would like to rejoin the group. Josh gave me the ok and for that I am grateful.  Here is some info -

For the better part of the last 10, I've been fighting the injury bug.  While I ran track and CC in high school, ITB issues and Plantar Fasciitis have kept me on the sidelines for large chunks of time.  I did better last year and end up running in two tris and had a great time.  I also managed to drop about 40 pounds before getting bit again in November of last year.  I gained a ton of weight and got back on the bike in June and have been working out ever since.  I've been sore but I haven't hurt myself yet.  It's my goal to keep workin out with the goals of trying to improve my health and lose a little more weight.

Personally, I'm the father of two boys (9 and 8) and a 16 month old daughter.  I've been married to a fantastic person for 12 years who is pretty tolerant.  I teach school for a living at a private school outside Boston.  The Cleveland Indians have finally started to win (they beat the Yankees last night!!!) so life is good.  

I'm looking forward to getting to know/support you all.  

DQ

2010-07-28 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Glad you're OK Josh and mending well. 

I've broken my calves attempting a hill run on Sunday and it's taken until today to be able to walk properly so I've been resting as much as I can but will try my first run tomorrow am.

How's the rest of the group getting on?  
2010-07-29 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hi everyone...sorry I am not around much.  I have been lacking in motivation lately. I thought it was from over training...turns out I just hate my job...LOL  Seriously!  I have one more race to go before I switch over to cyclocross and honestly I don't care.    I am so stressed these days that I perform in the water more like aqua rock than a triathlete.    Worked on updating the ol' resume this morning and already I feel lighter!  I am hoping to get back the spark and really do this off road sprint with gusto. 

BTW...welcome back Qua17.  I wondered where you got off to.   Josh I am glad to here that you are OK after your crash. 
2010-07-30 2:35 PM

New user

Syracuse
Hi all,
I am still alive as well. Training consistently but never have time to update my log on here. I have one more week till Iron Girl and then I'm done for the season. I may have the hip arthroscopy then. I haven't decided. If I want to continue with this sport I will have to have the surgery however, I am finding the training hours are difficult with a full time job, a 2 and 4 year old, husband, trying to sell and buy another house blah blah blah. Everyone probably knows how that is. Just trying to find a balance with it all so that I can continue to train and still see my family. I generally go after my kids are in bed and during their naps on the weekends but, this cuts into time with my husband. I feel like I never see him. But, and this is a big but, I LOVE TO TRAIN!!! I have been feeling great recently except for the hip. I am basically just sucking it up and pushing through the pain so that I can keep getting the rush from it all.
Yesterday we had an OWS with huge waves. It probably shouldnt have allowed us to swim but, we did it anyway. I was okay for the first 500 or so on the way out to the first buoy but the way back was like hitting incessant walls of water that ultimately ended up in my mouth and the worst possible time. Sighting was basically nonexistent with the sunsetting right in front of us blazing on the water. All in all though I was able to do a mile and not drown!! Ultimate success. I couldn't bear to take a noodle from the lifeguard. :-)
One more week!!!
Josh, I am glad you're doing ok.
Quick question, My friend has offered to let me borrow her road bike this week and for my race as I have a wicked old Hybrid. She is 5 foot and I'm 5'7". Is this even feasible. Can the seat just be raised? I am a complete novice.
Let me know what you think.
Happy training everyone
Shioban
oh and to all you Boston fans...GO YANKEES!!!!( sorry, I had to throw that in)
2010-07-30 9:43 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Sounding like we all in the same boat, lately. Everybody training hard while the weather is with us before that nasty white 4 letter word shows up. Enjoying training but life slowly creeping in the backseat with the hours getting longer.
My last two weeks were suppose to be a recovery week and start tapering for Timberman. My life and motivation level decided it was time to take a couple weeks OFF I got a little caught up with the other side of life but need to keep focused as my A race won't forgive me I'm sure.
2010-08-01 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Shiobahn, 

I'd imagine that you could get away with raising the seat and handlebars if the stem will come up high enough. How far/long do you need to ride for? The trouble I've had with bikes that are too small is that the seat post isn't long enough to get the height that I need and that puts more pressure on my knees as well as aching shoulders - that said I'm 6ft so it may be more of a problem for me.  

Make the changes and take it for a test ride - if it doesn't feel good then I'd resort to what ever you feel more comfortable on as you can then push harder instead of just withstanding the pain!

Good luck,
Kate 

2010-08-01 8:09 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey BB mentees! Nice to see a little posting here even if it is about the lack of mojo blues.  Keep your eyes on the finish line folks. You have all put in many hours of training getting ready for these races and we only have a few more weeks on the season so don't stop now.  Those last weeks before taper are painful and discouraging but you will be stronger when it is all done!!

*\0/*  enough rah-rah.  I am ready for my favorite part of training....sleep in my comfy bed!  *\0/*
2010-08-02 12:07 AM

User image

Hey Josh, glad ur on the mend!

I've been away for a while, I just had to go see if summer was out there somewhere - and it was, so I took the week and did some hiking and what not in the mountains near Kelowna, BC, which has a big tri this upcomming weekend.  So lots of athletes around doing prep to make me feel guilty for not training...the bike route happened to be along the wineries route that we were taking and I got a nice tan helping my 4 yr old build sand castles Cool.

Still humming an hawing bout the 10k race this fall, anyone know of any good training plans?
2010-08-02 6:20 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Figured I would jump in on the lack of training blues. Managed to get either a sinus infection or Bronchitis and am now on antibiotics either way. Hope to be able to spin the bike tomorrow. Will take one more day of rest to get my energy back up.

2010-08-02 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I like everyone else has been missing from the site--been enjoying the out doors and getting a lot of training done.  But all of a sudden I've joined the ranks of injured--moving things in my garage last night and took a tumble--got some painful ribs--so need to back off--I have a race this weekend--need to mend fast!!!!
2010-08-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3019493

User image

Westborough
Finished my last triathlon race of the season - The Marlborough Tri.  This course was so hilly it felt like their were 3 category 1 climbs on the bike and 2 on the run.  I was definitely not prepared.  So I'm interested on everyone's thoughts on how this race unfolded and what I can do better next time.  Here is my predicament.....

I finished the 15 mile biking in just under 52 minutes (@17.4 mph) and I had originally projected about 60 minutes given all the hills.  I let some 17 year younger female rider get in my head during the ride and I refused to let her get ahead of me and ended up pushing on the bike portion much faster than I had wanted (didn't realize it at the time).  So when the run started, I had NOTHING left.  My run split was 37 min. for 3.2 miles (11.32/mile) and I was expecting to run at about 9:30/mile even with the hills.  I literally couldn't go a step faster.  I was spent and felt extremely frustrated and mad that I let my race get away from me like this.  I attributed this to needing more calories and hydration (only the future will tell).

So here is the funny part....I picked up about 8 minutes on the bike and lost 6.30 on the run.  So, I finshed about 1.5 min. faster than I projected.  Strange.

Edited by dmahr 2010-08-03 10:46 AM

2010-08-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3020829

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

dmahr - 2010-08-03 11:44 AM Finished my last triathlon race of the season - The Marlborough Tri.  This course was so hilly it felt like their were 3 category 1 climbs on the bike and 2 on the run.  I was definitely not prepared.  So I'm interested on everyone's thoughts on how this race unfolded and what I can do better next time.  Here is my predicament.....

I finished the 15 mile biking in just under 52 minutes (@17.4 mph) and I had originally projected about 60 minutes given all the hills.  I let some 17 year younger female rider get in my head during the ride and I refused to let her get ahead of me and ended up pushing on the bike portion much faster than I had wanted (didn't realize it at the time).  So when the run started, I had NOTHING left.  My run split was 37 min. for 3.2 miles (11.32/mile) and I was expecting to run at about 9:30/mile even with the hills.  I literally couldn't go a step faster.  I was spent and felt extremely frustrated and mad that I let my race get away from me like this.  I attributed this to needing more calories and hydration (only the future will tell).

So here is the funny part....I picked up about 8 minutes on the bike and lost 6.30 on the run.  So, I finshed about 1.5 min. faster than I projected.  Strange.

First, congrats on the race.  I almost decided at the last minute to go up there and do that one, but changed my mind.  

Second, it's not a predicament, it's a learning experience.  My guess is that you won't do it again.  It has been said a million times on this site, but you just need to race your race.  Don't worry about everyone else.  That's a lot easier said than done.  You can train on hills more so that the next time you are using less effort to get the same speed, but there will alway be someone faster.  Once you pass the girl who's 17 years younger, it will be the kid in his 20's who's blowing past you.  Sounds like you are a pretty competitive person, so I'm sure that you will learn from this and use it to your advantage next time.  One of the things you a can try is to simulate a race during your training.  Find the right effort on the bike that gives you the most energy for the run.  

2010-08-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3021347

User image

Westborough
Boston Beginner - 2010-08-03 2:39 PM

dmahr - 2010-08-03 11:44 AM Finished my last triathlon race of the season - The Marlborough Tri.  This course was so hilly it felt like their were 3 category 1 climbs on the bike and 2 on the run.  I was definitely not prepared.  So I'm interested on everyone's thoughts on how this race unfolded and what I can do better next time.  Here is my predicament.....

First, congrats on the race.  I almost decided at the last minute to go up there and do that one, but changed my mind.  

Second, it's not a predicament, it's a learning experience.  My guess is that you won't do it again.  It has been said a million times on this site, but you just need to race your race.  Don't worry about everyone else.  That's a lot easier said than done.  You can train on hills more so that the next time you are using less effort to get the same speed, but there will alway be someone faster.  Once you pass the girl who's 17 years younger, it will be the kid in his 20's who's blowing past you.  Sounds like you are a pretty competitive person, so I'm sure that you will learn from this and use it to your advantage next time.  One of the things you a can try is to simulate a race during your training.  Find the right effort on the bike that gives you the most energy for the run.  

I've been thinking about this non-stop.   I now am wondering if this was just a major lack of calories before and during the event.  I had about 200 calories during the bike and 100 at the start of the run.

How many calories does everyone use?  What does everyone eat before the race and how long before the race?

I just keep thinking that if I could have had 300-400 calories more before the race started (on top of the 300 I consumed that morning) and another 400-500 during the bike and run, I would have had a much better performance.
2010-08-09 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I bailed on my last race due to injured ribs but went to the event to watch my son race---all in all hard fun but just wasen't the same, standing on the side-lines.  Did my share of cheering racers on as I know how good it makes me feel when people are screaming to keep going etc--makes you jump it up a bit.  Anyway, it was a nice event but!!!! I would rather be racing.  Holding off on training till this Weds then going to try getting back into my work outs--have another race in 3 short weeks and WILL not miss another one.  (I hope)  any hints on getting sore ribs back in shape?
2010-08-09 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3033382

User image

Regular
Billerica
Dragonflyer - 2010-08-09 8:52 PM I bailed on my last race due to injured ribs but went to the event to watch my son race---all in all hard fun but just wasen't the same, standing on the side-lines.  Did my share of cheering racers on as I know how good it makes me feel when people are screaming to keep going etc--makes you jump it up a bit.  Anyway, it was a nice event but!!!! I would rather be racing.  Holding off on training till this Weds then going to try getting back into my work outs--have another race in 3 short weeks and WILL not miss another one.  (I hope)  any hints on getting sore ribs back in shape?

The only thing I know that fixes ribs is Motrin and time, unfortunatly. Torn intercostal muscles earlier this year and it took a solid 4 weeks to stop hurting when I breathed. If they broke its the same treatment Motrin and time.

I drove the Timberman bike and run courses this weekend as race prep day. Now I'm thinking what the hell was I thinking signing up for this thing!! The hills are well how do you say F**K&ng STEEP. While riding today all I could think about was the hills. I have one more long training ride before race so I think I'm going to have to tackle some of the course to boost my confidance a little for them hills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27