BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-08 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED

NAME: Boston Beginner / Josh

STORY: I am 36 years old and have been participating in triathlons for 2+ years.  I started after I hurt my back a little over 2 years ago. My physical therapist was doing a triathlon and figured since I was going 3x week to the gym for therapy, I can finding the time to train when it was over.  It was something I also wanted to do.  The rest is history. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very supportive wife, 2 kids, 5 and 3

CURRENT TRAINING: I am slowly recovering from some injuries the past couple of months.  But will be in full training mode in a couple of weeks.

2009 RACES: This past season, my second, I completed FL70.3, Vineman 70.3, Patriot Half Iron as the runner of a relay team, a sprint, a half marathon and a couple of road races.  Needless to say, I was pretty burned out by the end July. 

2010 RACES:  I am signed up for IMAZ and plan on doing a couple of sprints, an olympic, RI70.3 and Syracuse 70.3 as part of a relay team with my wife and best friend.  I will also throw some road races in there.  

WEIGHTLOSS: Since the start of training a couple of years ago, I was down about 25lbs, but I have gained some back.  I ideally would like to look an addition 20-25lbs for IMAZ. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I fully admit that an I not an expert in the mechanics of any of the 3 sports.  I need major work on my swim stroke, I need to learn a ton more about the bike, and I know if I keep moving my feet, I will cross the finish line.  I do believe that I am a good motivator and can give good advice from what I do know.   I will also try and find the answer or the place to get an answer to any question that is asked.  I have gotten countless advice and formed great friendships on BT and I think it’s time to return the favor.  This will be my second go around as a mentor and I enjoy it very much.

Edited by Boston Beginner 2010-04-21 6:19 AM

2010-04-08 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
Pick me! Pick me!  After all I already gave you Adrian Beltra!  

2010-04-08 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica

If it would be OK I will stay on as I enjoy keeping up with THE GROUP. It will be good to see how we all do after the winter months keeping each other motivated.

2010-04-08 8:57 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

thread stalker checking back in

2010-04-09 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I am in for the next session!  
2010-04-09 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Count me back as well.

2010-04-09 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
How come I don't see our group listed on the new mentors page?   Is it me?  Did I miss it?
2010-04-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2780390

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

It isn't live yet.  We are just in the staging area.  We should be live soon.

2010-04-09 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Any body OWS yet? I know Joe (ontherun) has been out. Any guidlines for too cold for swimming or should I just wait a few more weeks.
2010-04-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2780566

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

A fellow BTer went in Hopkinton this week.  She said it was 58.  She swam for 40mins.  It's up to you.  That's on the low side for me, but doable.  I would rub vasoline on your face.  It helps with the cold.

2010-04-10 2:53 AM
in reply to: #2780566

User image

Extreme Veteran
scogz1 - 2010-04-09 12:59 PM Any body OWS yet? I know Joe (ontherun) has been out. Any guidlines for too cold for swimming or should I just wait a few more weeks.

If you count in a river with a drysuit... yes.  If you are counting freezing half to death in a lake with a wetsuit, nope.  Still sounds chilly to me.  Do you hate the pool that badly? 

Seriously though, as the paranoid one in the group, cold water can be a monster for even the best of swimmers.  If you go, be safe! 

2010-04-10 9:46 AM

Veteran
So where I never even got to introduce myself in the 1st season of BBMG, do I get a By into the new one.
2010-04-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2782024

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Yes, but you must introduce yourself this time around.  

Also, if all the old timers could also post your info again for the new folks.

2010-04-10 5:23 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

My rule of thumb, if you get disoriented at all, turn around. If there is ice, push it away Seriously though, the coldest OWS I have ever done was 54 with a sleeveless wetsuit, no cap, gloves or booties. I have thought about the vasaline, and I have heard it works. I have not done it though. Most of the time I have found it takes me about 3 minutes in the water to get "comfortable". After that, I can start putting my face in the water. I may only get in one stroke per breath for a bit, but after about 8 minutes, I am either turning and running with the tail between the legs, or I am swimming rather normaly.

Bottom line, keep it safe and respect the cold, it can get you hard and fast. Still I find it hard to resist not being first in last out in our neck of the woods though

2010-04-10 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

So I managed to get all 3 sports in this week.  I wasn't the fastest fish in the pond, but it felt good to get outside.  I need to get moving if I want to survive IMAZ in Nov. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

2010-04-11 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Thanks for the OWS tips. I think I will give it a go soon but with others and my new swim buoy. 
I don't hate the warm bath water pool Alana I just don't like all the extra's that seem to go with the pool, I mean in the pool. I should define extra's as nasty things that you see floating around and inadvertently bushing up against your face while swimming (other peoples hair for my most recent encounter). I'm sure sure to find other nasty things while OWS but at least they should be from nature, I hope.  

2010-04-11 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2782540

User image

Regular
Billerica
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-10 6:06 PM

So I managed to get all 3 sports in this week.  I wasn't the fastest fish in the pond, but it felt good to get outside.  I need to get moving if I want to survive IMAZ in Nov. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

Welcome back. What are your training plans now for IMAZ? Now it is just a matter of getting to it,smartly.    
2010-04-11 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2782049

User image

Regular
Billerica
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-10 10:14 AM

Yes, but you must introduce yourself this time around.  

Also, if all the old timers could also post your info again for the new folks.

Old timers ??

Hello, My name is Steve. I am from north of Boston area, Greater Lowell would be more acuate for the Locals.
I am 36years old and married 16 yrs with 2 kids 15 yr old son 13 yr old daugter and 3 dogs.
Started Triathlons last August 09 as a new workout to keep in shape and change in workout routine. This was done with the help of our thread stalker (Ontherun), have to give props were props are deserved.  
I have since participated in a couple of sprint distance Tri's last fall. 
I have already singned up fro Timberman 70.3 in August2010. Hope to sign up for two or three more races this year to include Olympic and a few sprints.
Timberman is my A race for the year and I'm in week two of BT's 1/2 IM plan, which will bring me to the Timberman in 19 wks. 
I participated in the winter BB mentor group which was fun and kept the workouts going somehow. Not somehow but through others motivating and encouraging you through the winter. I am not the most social of the bloggers but will try to keep up with the group discussion and contribute the best I can with my limited knowledge of the sport, for now. I hope we all have a safe and minimaly injury free season and have fun. 

2010-04-11 11:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Old timers??  Isn't that what you would call a 95 year old farmer?  Thanks Josh.

I am married with 4 kids, 10, 8, 4, & 2 and I attend college full time.  It could get tricky this summer as my husband will be gone for 4 months, so I will be playing a single mom then.

I swam with my face in the water for the first time ever last July, and thought of swimming as a necessary evil.  I have learned to enjoy it, and now look forward to swimming each time I go.

Cycling is my favorite.  I'm still very much a newbie, but I just love it.  It makes me feel like a kid again since I spent my childhood on my bike.

I've never ran farther than 5k and am very much looking forward to surpassing that this summer.
I've been a slacker all winter due to injury, then surgery, then illness and lack of mojo.  I'm ready to get going and see some improvement.

This is a great group, with a great mentor!
2010-04-12 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
This is my second season of competition.  Last year I started this silly sport on a dare and got hooked immediately.  I did four tri's last season, 2 sprints, an oly and a HIM.  This season I am planning another sprint a few Oly's and I'm going back to do the same HIM again to see if I can get faster.
I'm 40 this year, married and father of 2 boys 10 and 4.  My biggest challenges are probably the same as everyone's; balancing professional, personal and training lives.
So far this season injuries have been a big set back to training.  Was planning a full marathon this spring but had to cut it back and only did a half.  Hope I have finally put the injury demon behind me for the season as I am starting HIM training in a couple of weeks.Surprised
Scott
2010-04-12 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scott,
How did your race go?  I didn't see a race report.  Your pace and time looked great though!

2010-04-12 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I have always been an athletic person but had to take 5 years off from everything to nurse a family member back to health.  I decided late last season to try a sprint as a means to get back into shape and found a new addiction. This will be my 2nd year of triathlons with my 2nd race ever, coming up on the 25th of April.    This year as well as having fun,  I am chasing down top 10% of my AG.  This season I have an off road duo, 2 sprints, an oly and 1 off road sprint and have an Ironman 70.3 St Croix in mind for next May.

In my previous lives I have been a bodybuilder, an equestrian, a mountain climber and extreme sports athlete.  
I have been married 21 years  and have no kids ( except for my husband!)  I am not happy unless I am training, often getting up in the wee hours before dawn to get a workout in before work.   This is my 2nd go around with Boston Beginners Mentor Group.  The inspiration and support here from both Josh and other members has been tremendous.   Thanks all and lets have a great season!
2010-04-13 1:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Can I join in?

I've been doing triathlon's off and on for about 3 years now but mainly really small novice or fun ones. I've signed up for two sprint ones this year but also have a big duathlon and kilomathon (26.3km) race. Trouble is I'm rubbish at running and although slightly improving I'm really slow :/

Other than that I work erratic hours and travel lots so it's a constant struggle to fit work outs in and control my diet. My main focus points are the running and the weightloss but I also need to make sure I don't neglect the swimming. I'm hoping that by being in a group I'll have that extra bit on incentive and support to meet my goals.

Outside of triathlon I am married to a fab guy who hates running and doesn't like triathlons much either but I don't hold that against him oh and I'm based in Scotland!

Will you let me join?
2010-04-13 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2787249

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Kate_r - 2010-04-13 2:55 AM Can I join in? I've been doing triathlon's off and on for about 3 years now but mainly really small novice or fun ones. I've signed up for two sprint ones this year but also have a big duathlon and kilomathon (26.3km) race. Trouble is I'm rubbish at running and although slightly improving I'm really slow :/ Other than that I work erratic hours and travel lots so it's a constant struggle to fit work outs in and control my diet. My main focus points are the running and the weightloss but I also need to make sure I don't neglect the swimming. I'm hoping that by being in a group I'll have that extra bit on incentive and support to meet my goals. Outside of triathlon I am married to a fab guy who hates running and doesn't like triathlons much either but I don't hold that against him oh and I'm based in Scotland! Will you let me join?

Absolutely Kate.  Welcome aboard.  Now go swim.

2010-04-13 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2787249

User image

Expert
Boston
Kate_r - 2010-04-13 2:55 AM Can I join in? I've been doing triathlon's off and on for about 3 years now but mainly really small novice or fun ones. I've signed up for two sprint ones this year but also have a big duathlon and kilomathon (26.3km) race. Trouble is I'm rubbish at running and although slightly improving I'm really slow :/ Other than that I work erratic hours and travel lots so it's a constant struggle to fit work outs in and control my diet. My main focus points are the running and the weightloss but I also need to make sure I don't neglect the swimming. I'm hoping that by being in a group I'll have that extra bit on incentive and support to meet my goals. Outside of triathlon I am married to a fab guy who hates running and doesn't like triathlons much either but I don't hold that against him oh and I'm based in Scotland! Will you let me join?

Welcome Kate!  I have found that following one of the plans here on the BT site has helped tremendously for keeping me focused.    I hate the pool and didn't swim for 12 weeks.    But now that I am following a plan I swim 2x weekly.  It also helped me to have a focus for those workouts.  So now I have one day that is drills and one day that is pure endurance.  

I just started reading "Run less, Run faster"  I'll let you know when I find tidbits on how to run faster.

Seren
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27