General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vineman Showdown at Sundown : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-09 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Vineman Showdown at Sundown : Official Thread
Good luck to all of you BT'ers who are participating!

2010-04-10 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2781309

User image

Napa
Subject: RE: Vineman Showdown at Sundown : Official Thread
Thanks, goode luck to you too..  It should be fun. 

I swam at McNears today (a bit chilly) and checked out the course.  The bike out of the transition starts on a steep incline, so remember to set up your bike in the right gears.  The run is also a climb out of the park with the start on some stairs, but it is a nice run by the bay.  It was very windy today and there were kite surfers out on the water, so it was entertaining to watch them do tricks as we ran by.
2010-04-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2782966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Hi,

I too went out to McNear's yesterday.  You must've gone in the morning or early afternoon right?  I was there at around 3pm, took a swim and biked the course.  I was the lone, crazy swimmer out in the chilly waters.  I did see several other people with their bikes or running, but no one else getting in the water, though.

There are lots of very sharp rocks when getting in and out of the water where the beach is.  I wonder if the swim portion for the race will be like that.  I hope not because I cut my feet getting in and out.  I wonder how that's going  to work for the race.  I think what I may do is bring some booties to keep my feet from getting scraped up.

Did you experience difficulties with rocks? Or did you find an area with a smoother entry?

2010-04-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2783129

User image

San Rafael, CA
ecpasos - 2010-04-11 6:58 AM

There are lots of very sharp rocks when getting in and out of the water where the beach is.  I wonder if the swim portion for the race will be like that.  I hope not because I cut my feet getting in and out.  I wonder how that's going  to work for the race.  I think what I may do is bring some booties to keep my feet from getting scraped up.

Did you experience difficulties with rocks? Or did you find an area with a smoother entry?

Where did you get in the water? I did this race last year and did not have a problem with rocks. The entrance is way down the beach where there is more sand. Last year the challenge was a lot of dead jellyfish! Grossed me out, but my wave was towards the end so most were out of the way...

I am pretty sure I read that they are going to make people walk their bike up the steep hill right out of transition. Check the website FAQ. 

Good Luck! Should be another fun one! I hope it is not raining like it is today!
2010-04-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2783657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Michelene - 2010-04-11 2:14 PM
Where did you get in the water? I did this race last year and did not have a problem with rocks. The entrance is way down the beach where there is more sand.

I probably didn't go far enough down the beach.  I got in just past where the group picnic area is.  Thanks for the post. 

I wonder how we'll walk the bike up that steep hill, especially in bike shoes.  That sounds a bit challenging. 
2010-04-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2781309

User image

Pro
NorCal
I will be out there volunteering, good luck!

2010-04-14 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2787096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
AbbieR - 2010-04-12 8:15 PM I will be out there volunteering, good luck!

Nice... Thanks!
2010-04-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2783129

User image

Napa
The reason you were the only one there, and had trouble with the rocks, is because everyone else swam in the morning during high tide.

The race is scheduled for high tide and the jagged rocks should be under water, as soon as you can float do so, and your feet will be OK.

Vicky
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vineman Showdown at Sundown : Official Thread Rss Feed